Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Aug 9, 2022 at 10:51 AM Post #5,191 of 10,893
I've been with Mojo 2 since the UK launch date and had retained my Mojo 1 until recently. I was always happy with Mojo 1, but I am pleased to say Mojo 2 is just a better product. I will say it's not universal. There are a few tracks/albums I loved the way Mojo 1 reproduced, and Mojo 2 being different, doesn't have the same magic for them. But Mojo 2 with the cross feed and DSP (I only adjust the bass shelf) has transformed my Grado headphones. So many tracks and albums sound unlike anything else. Randomly flicking through my music I've been amazed at how so many tracks sound so right. Having seen Eric Clapton many times at the Royal Albert Hall, I was always disappointed at how the 24 nights album sounded. Mojo 2 fixes that, and I can hear and feel the Albert Hall accoustics.

Female vocals in particular are just so much better. Jane Siberry recordings sound amazing and her voice is infinitely more expressive and realistic than I've heard on any DAC. Back to back comparison with Mojo 1, "It can't rain all the time", doesn't even sound like the same recording. I don't know why but the difference is huge.
Considering I'd been happy with Mojo 1 for many years, I hadn't expected to be so surprised at how good music can sound with Mojo 2. The happy reality is that I frequently find myself listening to a familiar track, sitting back in surprise at how it sounds, then playing it again because the music was so good.
It's debatable how much the competition caught up with Mojo 1's sound, but for my ears, Mojo 2's improvements aren't subtle.

Aug 9, 2022 at 1:05 PM Post #5,192 of 10,893
measurements for charging with different cables:

cable from mojo 2:

IMG_0484.JPG

cable from poly:

IMG_0486.JPG

Charger:

IMG_0488.JPG

Aug 9, 2022 at 2:37 PM Post #5,193 of 10,893
I also got the 'white noise blasts' or 'audio mutes spontenously' after a while.
I even had these sponteous audio drop-outs of the mojo 2, like this:
(using battery only)

(using charger through micro-USB)

I haven't pin-pointed it down yet, what's causing this.
I do know - after i contacted support - Ed suggested to put the audio-resolution back to 16-bit/48khz.
Since that time - I think - I didn't have anymore 'white noise blasts'.
But that's NO solution - I mean, I buy this expensive DAC since it can achieve such high resolution like 384khz/32-bits.
Then I want to use it too!

He also asked what happens when using Audirvana, jRiver or Roon.
I tested it for 3 hours straight in Roon, and no audio drop-out whatsoever... :thinking:

The audio dropouts do happen, when using foobar, VLC, youtube (Google Chrome) or playing a random game.

A friend of mine suggested to use the WASAPI plugin for foobar, so I've got that installed by now.
Will need to play more music through it, to determine if that's a solution.
But then again, it's no solution for all the other apps above :slight_frown:

Just last night for example, I watch a serie in VLC I downloaded in 2k: After I watched the 1st episode, all good.
Then 20 mins in, the 2nd episode, the sound disappears.

My friend suggests me to use the COAX input instead of the USB input.
What I've read so far is that the audio dropouts only seem to occur when using USB, so this could be THE solution.
However I'm not really following how this would work?

First of all, my motherboard doesn't have a COAX output, but it does have OPT S/PDIF:
x370-pro-7x-1280x1024.jpg

This cable I ordered:
521x1200.jpg

Setup:
- Asus Prime X370 Pro motherboard
- Windows 10
- Chord Mojo 2
- USB cable that came with the Mojo
- Random micro-USB charger
Llu7apC.jpg

- Output 1 of Mojo 2: Jack 3.5mm to XLR to Genelec 8030 speakers
- Output 2 of Mojo 2: Jack 3.5mm to VGA to Logitech Z5500 subwoofer only.

Question:
1. Isn't the motherboard (with it's own soundcard) then producing the sound, when I connect S/PDIF out of mobo into input of the Chord Mojo 2?

NOTE: I've ordered the above TOSlink cable to connect between mobo and Mojo 2, which I'll receive in two days, so I'll let u guys also know if this is a solution.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2022 at 4:25 PM Post #5,194 of 10,893
It’s really disappointing to see how Chord has handled the communications on the white noise issue and they still remain largely quiet. I‘ve seen employees of Chord appear in the “Users who are viewing this thread” list at the bottom of the page and it is disconcerting they’re reading the discussions and consciously choosing to stay silent. They’re allowing dealers to continue selling devices with a known USB firmware bug and watching customers helplessly troubleshoot the issue.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2022 at 4:54 PM Post #5,195 of 10,893
@iDesign
I know right?!
I'm in the same ball park whereas others mentioned, they are just afraid to ''go loud'' cause the 'white noise' might occur...
I've put it back to 32-bits/384khz, being aware, that the white noise might sound once again, so i'll keep it on low volume for now.
...Just to check if indeed - lowering it to 48khz/16-bit - is a semi work-around to get rid off the white noise.

Meanwhile I also ordered a COAX bracket, since my motherboard seems to have a connection for it, according to the manual:
JGe81ke.png

Why?
According to my friend and I googled it, TOSlink supports up to 192khz/24-bit.
He works in a studio as a day job and recommends COAX over TOSlink, since it doesn't have any limitations.

I'm still searching for a COAX RCA to mini-RCA (from bracket to Mojo 2), which seems really hard to find.
Anyone any luck with such?

Aug 9, 2022 at 5:05 PM Post #5,196 of 10,893
Question:
1. Isn't the motherboard (with it's own soundcard) then producing the sound, when I connect S/PDIF out of mobo into input of the Chord Mojo 2?
Yes and No!
If the digital audio information is somehow tampered with, then it can be said that the internal sound card is in the loop. By that I mean, if you choose direct sound in Windows to output to digital sound card.
If you however, choose WASAPI exclusive mode of the sound card digital output, then the Coax or optical output of the sound card becomes merely a "piece of wire" in the chain, meaning music is bypassed through the internal sound card.
Beware though of a minor issue. Even with the best of systems and cables, digital out is limited to 192kHz, when USB can handle 768kHz. A minor issue, because sonically, 192kHz is as good as any! However, should you have any audio higher is sampling frequency (1 in a million), then it has to be downsampled.

BTW, optical is better, because you get electrical isolation too.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2022 at 10:20 AM Post #5,198 of 10,893
@iDesign
I know right?!
I'm in the same ball park whereas others mentioned, they are just afraid to ''go loud'' cause the 'white noise' might occur...
I've put it back to 32-bits/384khz, being aware, that the white noise might sound once again, so i'll keep it on low volume for now.
...Just to check if indeed - lowering it to 48khz/16-bit - is a semi work-around to get rid off the white noise.

Meanwhile I also ordered a COAX bracket, since my motherboard seems to have a connection for it, according to the manual:
JGe81ke.png

Why?
He works in a studio as a day job and recommends COAX over TOSlink, since it doesn't have any limitations.

I'm still searching for a COAX RCA to mini-RCA (from bracket to Mojo 2), which seems really hard to find.
I queried the optical TOSlink capability of the M2 with Chord, because the M1 manual specified 192/24 but the M2 manual made no mention while the Chord website actually stated 96kHz for the new model. They replied that they were just being conservative because 96 was the specified TOSlink optical limit. In fact, 192/24 works fine over optical with the M2, even with a bundled cable.

Aug 10, 2022 at 3:39 PM Post #5,199 of 10,893
I queried the optical TOSlink capability of the M2 with Chord, because the M1 manual specified 192/24 but the M2 manual made no mention while the Chord website actually stated 96kHz for the new model. They replied that they were just being conservative because 96 was the specified TOSlink optical limit. In fact, 192/24 works fine over optical with the M2, even with a bundled cable.
At 96 they can guarantee stable connection.
Use a decent transmitter and cable, 192 is stable all the time.

Aug 10, 2022 at 3:49 PM Post #5,200 of 10,893
I don’t use Desktop Mode. I charge with the Mojo 2 off. When I charge the Mojo 2 every time, I just wait for purple on the Menu button and Purple on the Battery Status LED and then unplug. Am I correct in assuming that the battery is charged to 100% when I do this?

Aug 10, 2022 at 10:33 PM Post #5,201 of 10,893
So I took the gamble and bought the M2. Here are some initial thoughts:

Build/Design:

I’m not revising my original thoughts on the images I saw online too much.

-In person, the four sphere buttons are less obtrusive than I thought, but the rear connectivity ports design appears half-executed and, frankly, slap-dash. I think this is a case of Rob stubbornly wanting to stick with Micro USB and finally acquiescing to the demands for USB-C at the zero hour. This is not a dig at Rob- stubbornness is a trait I excel at, and a trait I value in my friends and work partners. It belies a passion of belief that I think makes for interesting, creative people. That said, it can also bite you in the ass sometimes… Like when you dig your teeth in and hang on to an obsolete connection standard for the insane reason of compatibility with a more than half-decade old streamer add-on (that has never worked particularly well and is in dire need of a sequel itself), and you end up with a ridiculous prototype-like rear on an otherwise, in my opinion, beautiful design. Just for example.

-The four sphere buttons, which some see as one sphere button too far, do not bother me much. Sure, there is a learning curve, and if this device were a brand new model line, I might have more to say on the complexity of the 4 spheres and the multiple function hats they wear. But as this device is a sequel, and many of it’s users will be coming from the M1, I think it’s fine. Maybe not the most user-friendly for new Mojo users, but it is what it is. It’s a unique learning curve, but not a particularly difficult or unintuitive one.

Sound:

The sound is certainly a departure from the original Mojo’s signature, and to my ears, more in keeping with the classic Chord house sound than the M1 ever was. The warmth is there, but it’s not a heavy down comforter of warmth like it was with the M1. Clarity and detail have both been improved, particularly in the bass, the sub-band of which reaches somewhat lower than the original, yet presents with a more natural and detailed timbre. Soundstage has improved vastly, making for a less intimate listen than the original. The highs maintain the sweetness of the M1, but avoid rounding off, resulting in better detail there as well. The mids are simply sublime. They are among of the best I’ve heard, bar none, at any price point. Perfect.

So does the M2 sound better than the M1? Well, “sound superiority” is always a loaded proposition. Perception of sound is not identically uniform across individuals, so even objective listening, were such a thing possible, cannot truly define superiority, unless you’re painting with enormously broad strokes. And as even objective listening isn’t possible, we’re down, once again, to the classic HeadFi construct- that is to say a completely subjective personal opinion. So take my thoughts as you will.

Yes, personally, I think the Mojo 2 sounds better than the Mojo 1. Like, a lot better. And I always really liked the M1, but did occasionally find it a bit too warm for my taste at any given time, a bit too sparse on detail at times as well.

On the other hand, I personally think the Mojo 1 has a more “special” sound than the Mojo 2… The M1 sounds like nothing else, and it is perfectly balanced for what it is and it’s price point. It’s a modern classic, along the lines of the Sennheiser HD600/650. Are there a lot of better headphones around that price point these days? Sure. Are there a lot of headphones around that price point that package their sound as uniquely perfectly and cohesively, that have as strong a point of view, for lack of a better term? No. Not many- if at any at all. If I had to choose which DAC/amp to use on the daily, I’d certainly pick the M2 over the M1… while at the same time acknowledging that, at least for me, the M2 isn’t the uniquely special device that the M1 is.

Part of that comes down to the M2 aligning itself more closely with the classic Chord sound, while the M1 unapologetically took that house sound and did it’s own thing with it. I have read more than a few reviews stating that the M2’s sound lands somewhere between the M1 and the Hugo 2- and I understand why some would say that… The M1 is a very warm device with deep and very nearly wooly bass, while the H2 features a somewhat cooler, leaner, analytical sound with well-controlled and grippy bass. The M2’s sound temperature lands somewhere between the M1 and the H2, so it’s a natural comparison.

The thing is, like the M1, I don’t think the H2 is a typical example of the classic Chord sound. The H2 also does it’s own thing, perhaps in the opposite direction. For me, beyond a meet-in-the-middle sound temperature, the M2 aligns very little with the M1 or H2. No, If I were to pick a DAC/amp in Chord’s lineup that the M2 sounds most like, it would be the Dave. And perhaps that is why I have a hard time thinking of it as a device destined to be a modern classic. Because while the M1‘s unique take on the Chord sound allowed it to eschew comparison, the M2 finds itself measured against a $14,000 flagship, and in my opinion, perhaps the best-sounding DAC/amp in the hobby.

And here’s the thing, it doesn’t do too poorly. If this review so far has given the impression that I am lukewarm on the M2, let me put that to rest right now- the Mojo 2 is a hell of a device. Even throwing out all that tricky diminishing-returns math that comes into play when discussing ultra high-end exotic flagship devices, there is absolutely not $13,225 between the Mojo 2 and the Dave. I would not be disappointed in the M2’s sound at $3,000. Seriously. Which is obviously high praise, but before you get too excited, I also think the Dave should be priced around $9,000, even with that diminishing returns math, because prices have just gone, I’m sorry, ****ing bananas- but hey, there are jackasses who’ll pay $14,000 for it, so well done, Chord.

In any event, the Mojo 2‘s sound is a fantastic buy at $775, and perhaps truer to the original idea of the Mojo as an inexpensive gateway into the Chord house sound. While the Mojo 1 went all Cool Hand Luke and walked it’s own path into instant classic-dom, the Mojo 2 takes the harder and less glamorous road… that of the budget-ish entry-level model aiming high at the gauntlet thrown down by the Dave- an impossible thing to achieve at the price point, but a noble (and shockingly competent) attempt.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2022 at 11:11 PM Post #5,202 of 10,893
A Mojo 2 just landed here today. After allowing it to charge for a bit, I moved my Poly over to it so I could do some listening of tracks off the SD card that had been scaled with PGGB. Tough to quantify the improvement over the Mojo 1, but the Mojo 2 is clearly more transparent without giving away what made Mojo 1 a pleasure to listen to. I really like how well the upper frequencies have opened up.

Rob Watts had mentioned that he used a single capacitor warm up the sound in Mojo 1 and that was eliminated from the Mojo 2. Good riddance, I say. I will not miss it.

Aug 11, 2022 at 6:12 AM Post #5,203 of 10,893
IMG_20220811_105854.jpg

This has been my Fav combo with the Mojo 2 of late, the good old K240MKII's, highly underrated headphone these days imo, they have great synergy with the Mojo 2, fantastic tonality, the K240's really do have some magic sauce that I haven't found in other headphones.

Aug 11, 2022 at 6:38 AM Post #5,204 of 10,893
@iDesign
I know right?!

JGe81ke.png

Why?

I’ve been using this COAX cable from a Japanese brand called Onso with my M2:

https://hisago-denzai.com/products/onso-coxc_01_32r

I’m very happy with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back