Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Aug 11, 2022 at 8:16 AM Post #5,206 of 10,480
Aww bummer. It doesn't ship to Europe.
Thanks for the suggestion though, this indeed is what I'm looking for.
I'm now eyeballing this cable. Would that do?
You can register at amazon.co.jp and order the cable from there:
https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/Coaxi...o&qid=1660220023&sprefix=onso+,aps,232&sr=8-6

Amazon will show you the total price including shipping and import costs, and may even refund you if the importation is cheaper than anticipated.
I have ordered stuff several times and never had an issue. Delivery times were also very short, in the range of a week or less.

Aug 11, 2022 at 8:31 AM Post #5,207 of 10,480
My Mojo2 is running really hot with the currently elevated temps in London, especially when charging but also during unplugged playback.
I genuinely thought the hot running was solved vs M1 but this is as hot as the M1 got.
I can't imagine this will do damage, but I can't help but feel a little worried... anyone had the same experience?

Aug 11, 2022 at 8:33 AM Post #5,208 of 10,480
So I took the gamble and bought the M2. Here are some initial thoughts:

Build/Design:

I’m not revising my original thoughts on the images I saw online too much.

-In person, the four sphere buttons are less obtrusive than I thought, but the rear connectivity ports design appears half-executed and, frankly, slap-dash. I think this is a case of Rob stubbornly wanting to stick with Micro USB and finally acquiescing to the demands for USB-C at the zero hour. This is not a dig at Rob- stubbornness is a trait I excel at, and a trait I value in my friends and work partners. It belies a passion of belief that I think makes for interesting, creative people. That said, it can also bite you in the ass sometimes… Like when you dig your teeth in and hang on to an obsolete connection standard for the insane reason of compatibility with a more than half-decade old streamer add-on (that has never worked particularly well and is in dire need of a sequel itself), and you end up with a ridiculous prototype-like rear on an otherwise, in my opinion, beautiful design. Just for example.

-The four sphere buttons, which some see as one sphere button too far, do not bother me much. Sure, there is a learning curve, and if this device were a brand new model line, I might have more to say on the complexity of the 4 spheres and the multiple function hats they wear. But as this device is a sequel, and many of it’s users will be coming from the M1, I think it’s fine. Maybe not the most user-friendly for new Mojo users, but it is what it is. It’s a unique learning curve, but not a particularly difficult or unintuitive one.

Sound:

The sound is certainly a departure from the original Mojo’s signature, and to my ears, more in keeping with the classic Chord house sound than the M1 ever was. The warmth is there, but it’s not a heavy down comforter of warmth like it was with the M1. Clarity and detail have both been improved, particularly in the bass, the sub-band of which reaches somewhat lower than the original, yet presents with a more natural and detailed timbre. Soundstage has improved vastly, making for a less intimate listen than the original. The highs maintain the sweetness of the M1, but avoid rounding off, resulting in better detail there as well. The mids are simply sublime. They are among of the best I’ve heard, bar none, at any price point. Perfect.

So does the M2 sound better than the M1? Well, “sound superiority” is always a loaded proposition. Perception of sound is not identically uniform across individuals, so even objective listening, were such a thing possible, cannot truly define superiority, unless you’re painting with enormously broad strokes. And as even objective listening isn’t possible, we’re down, once again, to the classic HeadFi construct- that is to say a completely subjective personal opinion. So take my thoughts as you will.

Yes, personally, I think the Mojo 2 sounds better than the Mojo 1. Like, a lot better. And I always really liked the M1, but did occasionally find it a bit too warm for my taste at any given time, a bit too sparse on detail at times as well.

On the other hand, I personally think the Mojo 1 has a more “special” sound than the Mojo 2… The M1 sounds like nothing else, and it is perfectly balanced for what it is and it’s price point. It’s a modern classic, along the lines of the Sennheiser HD600/650. Are there a lot of better headphones around that price point these days? Sure. Are there a lot of headphones around that price point that package their sound as uniquely perfectly and cohesively, that have as strong a point of view, for lack of a better term? No. Not many- if at any at all. If I had to choose which DAC/amp to use on the daily, I’d certainly pick the M2 over the M1… while at the same time acknowledging that, at least for me, the M2 isn’t the uniquely special device that the M1 is.

Part of that comes down to the M2 aligning itself more closely with the classic Chord sound, while the M1 unapologetically took that house sound and did it’s own thing with it. I have read more than a few reviews stating that the M2’s sound lands somewhere between the M1 and the Hugo 2- and I understand why some would say that… The M1 is a very warm device with deep and very nearly wooly bass, while the H2 features a somewhat cooler, leaner, analytical sound with well-controlled and grippy bass. The M2’s sound temperature lands somewhere between the M1 and the H2, so it’s a natural comparison.

The thing is, like the M1, I don’t think the H2 is a typical example of the classic Chord sound. The H2 also does it’s own thing, perhaps in the opposite direction. For me, beyond a meet-in-the-middle sound temperature, the M2 aligns very little with the M1 or H2. No, If I were to pick a DAC/amp in Chord’s lineup that the M2 sounds most like, it would be the Dave. And perhaps that is why I have a hard time thinking of it as a device destined to be a modern classic. Because while the M1‘s unique take on the Chord sound allowed it to eschew comparison, the M2 finds itself measured against a $14,000 flagship, and in my opinion, perhaps the best-sounding DAC/amp in the hobby.

And here’s the thing, it doesn’t do too poorly. If this review so far has given the impression that I am lukewarm on the M2, let me put that to rest right now- the Mojo 2 is a hell of a device. Even throwing out all that tricky diminishing-returns math that comes into play when discussing ultra high-end exotic flagship devices, there is absolutely not $13,225 between the Mojo 2 and the Dave. I would not be disappointed in the M2’s sound at $3,000. Seriously. Which is obviously high praise, but before you get too excited, I also think the Dave should be priced around $9,000, even with that diminishing returns math, because prices have just gone, I’m sorry, ****ing bananas- but hey, there are jackasses who’ll pay $14,000 for it, so well done, Chord.

In any event, the Mojo 2‘s sound is a fantastic buy at $775, and perhaps truer to the original idea of the Mojo as an inexpensive gateway into the Chord house sound. While the Mojo 1 went all Cool Hand Luke and walked it’s own path into instant classic-dom, the Mojo 2 takes the harder and less glamorous road… that of the budget-ish entry-level model aiming high at the gauntlet thrown down by the Dave- an impossible thing to achieve at the price point, but a noble (and shockingly competent) attempt.
Interesting insight based on your experience, thanks for sharing.
What did you think of the EQ and crossfeed? I've been seriously impressed by their implementation.

Aug 11, 2022 at 8:33 AM Post #5,209 of 10,480
My Mojo2 is running really hot with the currently elevated temps in London, especially when charging but also during unplugged playback.
I genuinely thought the hot running was solved vs M1 but this is as hot as the M1 got.
I can't imagine this will do damage, but I can't help but feel a little worried... anyone had the same experience?
Mine runs quite warm when just playing and runs very hot when playing and charging, which I can't imagine is good for the long-term health of the battery. For that reason, I've been avoiding charging and playing at the same time.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2022 at 8:53 AM Post #5,210 of 10,480

Mine runs quite warm when just playing and runs very hot when playing and charging, which I can't imagine is good for the long-term health of the battery. For that reason, I've been avoiding charging and playing at the same time.
It does get hot especially when playing and charging. If you are worried about it's life in the long run, you can use portable USB powered fan to cool it down. I have been using the fan for a while now and it really works.
PXL_20220811_125052748~2.jpg

Aug 11, 2022 at 9:21 AM Post #5,211 of 10,480
It does get hot especially when playing and charging. If you are worried about it's life in the long run, you can use portable USB powered fan to cool it down. I have been using the fan for a while now and it really works.
or maybe let it work as intended? Whats's next? a portable fridge for the mojo? Lol just kidding but i can see the faces of my friends. They think mojo is a strange device let alone if i start plugging fans...

Aug 11, 2022 at 9:38 AM Post #5,212 of 10,480
or maybe let it work as intended? Whats's next? a portable fridge for the mojo? Lol just kidding but i can see the faces of my friends. They think mojo is a strange device let alone if i start plugging fans...
😄

I don't use fan with Mojo 2 at all because I only use it as portable.

I just posted pic just as an example that people who are worried about the heat can use it like that.

I actually bought the fan for my Topping A30 Pro which gets seriously hot especially in summer here in India the temperature goes beyond 40 degrees celsius.

Aug 11, 2022 at 9:48 AM Post #5,213 of 10,480

yes, the second mojo also heats up (although not as much as the first), I have to use such a radiator in the form of an apple studio display

IMG_0489.JPG

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2022 at 10:19 AM Post #5,214 of 10,480
PXL_20220811_125052748~2.jpg
I think that's a sensible idea in this heat. Despite the widow being wide open there's no breeze from outside and the room gets quite warm... can even use the fan myself!

Aug 11, 2022 at 11:59 AM Post #5,216 of 10,480
😄

I don't use fan with Mojo 2 at all because I only use it as portable.

I just posted pic just as an example that people who are worried about the heat can use it like that.

I actually bought the fan for my Topping A30 Pro which gets seriously hot especially in summer here in India the temperature goes beyond 40 degrees celsius.
As an engineer my self I expect the maker to provide ambient min and max operating temperature. Since nothing is mentioned in the manual then the operation should be unrestricted to iso conditions up to 40o Celsius ambient. Therefore I would operate it as it is.

Aug 11, 2022 at 12:18 PM Post #5,217 of 10,480
Aug 11, 2022 at 2:45 PM Post #5,218 of 10,480
Guys,

after ordering the 3rd Lightning to USB-C MFi cerd, data cable, all of them do nothing while connecting the iPhone13 ProMax with Mojo2

>>> Kross, Swiss made, MFI cert.

>>> Satechi, MFI Data/power cable

>>> Baseus, magnetic cable, male lightning

At my rate, I might juts buy a packet of Barilla Pasta and stick in in the mojo with meatballs on iPhone ........

Anyone have a cable that just works, plug and play, Iphone 13ProMax Lighting to Mojo USB-C

Aug 11, 2022 at 3:37 PM Post #5,219 of 10,480
Guys,

after ordering the 3rd Lightning to USB-C MFi cerd, data cable, all of them do nothing while connecting the iPhone13 ProMax with Mojo2

>>> Kross, Swiss made, MFI cert.

>>> Satechi, MFI Data/power cable

>>> Baseus, magnetic cable, male lightning

At my rate, I might juts buy a packet of Barilla Pasta and stick in in the mojo with meatballs on iPhone ........

Anyone have a cable that just works, plug and play, Iphone 13ProMax Lighting to Mojo USB-C
The DDHIFI ones work perfectly.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2022 at 3:51 PM Post #5,220 of 10,480
The DDHIFI ones work perfectly.

problem, need a cable thats meter long or 1.2m maybe.

due to work, mobile carry on the go setup.

Guess, best option is the DDHIFI adaptor, Lightning to USB-C

But I wonder if that also will go bust, with next software iOS update ;/

thanks for the reply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back