Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Aug 7, 2022 at 9:30 AM Post #5,161 of 10,482
As long as the sample rate indicator is the same as Mojo, red light means 44.1 kHz, eg. Redbook.
Guess you're fine with just Hifi on Tidal. :)

Dont like Tidal, Qobuz is not available in my country.

Got Apple Music on a Surfacebook 2 [SB2 is crap I know].

Have the mojo2 hooked up to iTunes, Win10 64bit

Windows Mojo2 Driver Properties, under Advanced tab, bumped up to 192KHz 24bit 2 channel.

Got a blue light.

Guess that just means due to my selection on the driver drop down menu, 192Khz ?

Babbies 1st swim in the deep dac pool.

Aug 7, 2022 at 12:36 PM Post #5,162 of 10,482
My advice is, to use "exclusive mode" of your different music player all the time.
So you'll ensure to get the best possible quality directly to your dac via bit perfect stream.
No need to let Windows do the work, your dac/Mojo is better at.

Aug 7, 2022 at 2:50 PM Post #5,164 of 10,482
WASAPI is to aim for, if there is exclusive mode, choose it.
The way you are doing it, is not good.
tnx m8, noticed had 'direct sound' in iTunes, switched to windows session'

I read Wasabi and had other images come to mind ;]

Aug 7, 2022 at 11:23 PM Post #5,165 of 10,482
I absolutely love the sound of the Mojo 2, but the dreaded white noise is seriously giving me a rash.

Fortunately, I don't use IEMs so the sound isn't blasting my head off. But, it is happening once every couple or few days, so it's a real PITA.

I'm tethered to my desk, connected to my laptop, and I've tried a couple of different USB cables, both -C and micro, with no luck.

Anyone have any inexpensive fixes they can suggest trying?

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2022 at 3:09 AM Post #5,168 of 10,482
Also i didnt get the point of keeping both usb C and Micro Usb
That was necessary to keep the Mojo 2 compatible with the Chord Poly streaming module.
It leads to an akward design but makes a lot of sense. Mojo2Poly is not for everyone, but if it suits your use case it is a mighty little DAC/Amp/Streamer
How about pairing with sensitive iems?
I briefly owned the Tansio Mirai Sands which are very sensitive and was surprised to hear background hiss.
Would be interesting to hear from Andromeda users.

With the Chord DAC/Amps you need to think about the use case. IMO they do not compete with DAPs in terms of user friendlyness when used out and about, but for more stationary applications for home listening, as DAC in the stereo system, home & office use or for travelling they work really well. In terms of SQ they excell with live acoustic music IMO where they reproduce music with great realism and dynamics.

Aug 8, 2022 at 5:20 AM Post #5,169 of 10,482
Still enjoying M2 as the core of my basic desktop set-up.
Recently acquired the Empyrean and the EQ + Xfeed on the M2 takes them to another level, to my ears.

Now thinking of ways I can get incremental improvements in SQ.
I currently run the M2 directly from laptop through the USB-C port, and mostly using battery power. Source is Qobuz.
Signal then goes to LP G109 amp through 3.5mm to RCA cable. I'm happy with the amp for now.

What are fellow head-fiers thoughts on the following:
1 - ifi iPower supply: as mentioned I use M2 mostly on battery power so not certain this is useful, but I'd consider if the consensus is that it makes a difference to use it powered by the ifi.
2 - galvanic isolator, most likely something from Intona, to clean up the USB signal. Also considering Wyred 4 Sound's Recovery.
3 - USB to optical converter, so the M2 is receiving an optical signal. I read that it sounds better through the optical input.
4 - better cables: I use sturdy but basic cables. This would be my lowest priority but still interested in exploring.

Combining some or all of the above is definitely possible, but being fairly new to all this I'd love to hear others' thoughts. Also, have I missed anything from the list? Many thanks for any advice.

Aug 8, 2022 at 6:07 AM Post #5,170 of 10,482
What are fellow head-fiers thoughts on the following:
1 - ifi iPower supply: as mentioned I use M2 mostly on battery power so not certain this is useful, but I'd consider if the consensus is that it makes a difference to use it powered by the ifi.
Even a decent Samsung 2A phone charger would do very nicely, mojo2 is designed to work with such a PSU, if you can not hear any changes between the Samsung wall wart and batteries, you won't achieve much going for a "better" PSU, though you can have fun with it.
2 - galvanic isolator, most likely something from Intona, to clean up the USB signal. Also considering Wyred 4 Sound's Recovery.
Good idea! get a Topping HS-01 isolator for £50, it is as good as any, is tiny and won't cost the earth.
3 - USB to optical converter, so the M2 is receiving an optical signal. I read that it sounds better through the optical input.
You could, but HS-01 is just as effective.
4 - better cables: I use sturdy but basic cables. This would be my lowest priority but still interested in exploring.
Yep, lowest priority indeed.

Aug 8, 2022 at 6:28 AM Post #5,171 of 10,482
Even a decent Samsung 2A phone charger would do very nicely, mojo2 is designed to work with such a PSU, if you can not hear any changes between the Samsung wall wart and batteries, you won't achieve much going for a "better" PSU, though you can have fun with it.

Good idea! get a Topping HS-01 isolator for £50, it is as good as any, is tiny and won't cost the earth.

You could, but HS-01 is just as effective.

Yep, lowest priority indeed.
thank you for the sensible advice, appreciate it. Particularly for bringing the Topping to my attention.
Another question if that's ok, do you think it's worthwhile getting the ioslator and the usb/optical converter? or would that just be overkill?

Aug 8, 2022 at 7:28 AM Post #5,172 of 10,482
thank you for the sensible advice, appreciate it. Particularly for bringing the Topping to my attention.
Another question if that's ok, do you think it's worthwhile getting the ioslator and the usb/optical converter? or would that just be overkill?
One or the other.
I go for the Topping. There is nothing magical about optical! If the USB connection is noise free, it sounds and measures just as good as optical.
Beware that on optical you are limited to 192kHz max. with a good cable, Chord specifies 96kHz because 192kHz is not guaranteed! Though it mostly is stable.
USB is guaranteed to 768kHz FWIW.

Aug 8, 2022 at 7:51 AM Post #5,173 of 10,482
One or the other.
I go for the Topping. There is nothing magical about optical! If the USB connection is noise free, it sounds and measures just as good as optical.
Beware that on optical you are limited to 192kHz max. with a good cable, Chord specifies 96kHz because 192kHz is not guaranteed! Though it mostly is stable.
USB is guaranteed to 768kHz FWIW.
Thanks again, that's very clear. I'll focus on cleaning up the USB connection and take it from there. The investment is looking much smaller than initially envisaged, I'm grateful for your advice!

Aug 8, 2022 at 8:13 AM Post #5,174 of 10,482
Thanks again, that's very clear. I'll focus on cleaning up the USB connection and take it from there. The investment is looking much smaller than initially envisaged, I'm grateful for your advice!
How do you clean up the USB?

Aug 8, 2022 at 9:35 AM Post #5,175 of 10,482

Users who are viewing this thread

Back