Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Jul 16, 2022 at 6:23 AM Post #5,056 of 10,554
And does anyone have advice for a recommended Y-cable? I need one made of fine materials for a top experience. I tried it with a WG series from SKW (Chinese made) shown below, but to me it sounded quite congested, flabby, dark and hardly detailed. I have a really hard time believing the internals of this cable are really as shown from their product photo:
61BHG0-QcDL._SL1000_.jpg

This standard design (but very good bang for the buck) Evergreen cable from Audioquest to me was a night/day improvement between the Mojo 2 and tube amp, sounding so much more open, balanced and detailed.
1657966640432.jpeg

I may just go up to the next higher cable options from Evergreen such as Golden Gate, Big Sur, or Sydney - unless any other ideas?

Jul 16, 2022 at 6:40 AM Post #5,058 of 10,554
I don't hear any difference between cables (silver, copper, different shielding etc). My advice: buy the cheapest audio quest and the Sydney, try it. I think you will send the Sydney back:wink:
If your hearing or associated equipment are up to par, you WILL hear a difference with cables. I also added a cheapo freebie Y-cable from a 3rd world country and while the dynamics were actually good, I got a much more complete 'picture' with fuller bass and deeper into the scene of the recording with the Evergreen cable. My hefty tube amp is revealing enough to show it.

Jul 16, 2022 at 7:12 AM Post #5,059 of 10,554
If your hearing or associated equipment are up to par, you WILL hear a difference with cables. I also added a cheapo freebie Y-cable from a 3rd world country and while the dynamics were actually good, I got a much more complete 'picture' with fuller bass and deeper into the scene of the recording with the Evergreen cable. My hefty tube amp is revealing enough to show it.
Or perhaps your amp is sensitive to input cables, possibly capacitance or inductance.
At any rate, since you already have the amp, and it is a hobby after all - then get whatever that pleases you.
I doubt if anyone can recommend anything, or you should take their recommendation.
The book says, a non-faulty, low impedance, low capacitance, low inductance interconnect cable of any make or material is the same.
Though I found out that solid single core cable for my headphone sounded best, but it would be stiff!
So I used fully annealed pure silver wire (for its softness) to make my own! it is not as soft as some, but practical, and sounds good and measures the least resistance, capacitance and inductance compared to anything I could measure that was prebuilt.

Jul 16, 2022 at 7:54 AM Post #5,060 of 10,554
Analyzing USB vs Coax
USB is sharper, brighter and more analytical
Coax more "dull" overall presentation but maintain all goodness of USB in.

Attachments

• IMG_20220716_133855-01.jpeg
    IMG_20220716_133855-01.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220716_194522-01.jpeg
    IMG_20220716_194522-01.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
Jul 16, 2022 at 6:00 PM Post #5,061 of 10,554
Or perhaps your amp is sensitive to input cables, possibly capacitance or inductance.
At any rate, since you already have the amp, and it is a hobby after all - then get whatever that pleases you.
I doubt if anyone can recommend anything, or you should take their recommendation.
The book says, a non-faulty, low impedance, low capacitance, low inductance interconnect cable of any make or material is the same.
Though I found out that solid single core cable for my headphone sounded best, but it would be stiff!
So I used fully annealed pure silver wire (for its softness) to make my own! it is not as soft as some, but practical, and sounds good and measures the least resistance, capacitance and inductance compared to anything I could measure that was prebuilt.
An amp "being sensitive to input cables" - that is a property of any good amp, but it's called being "resolving". My Mojo 2 is connected to a multi-thousand $$ tube amp from a boutique builder in Poland who's respected on these forums (link on last page) and there's nothing wrong with it. It's just revealing enough to hear nuance differences including cables. I am getting great sound from the Evergreen cable from Audioquest, but am always interested in seeing how much better things can get.

Also I hope to not have thrown anybody off with my post on the last page in that the Mojo 2 needs a tube amp to sound good. At least as is the case for me, and a few others who have tried it with full size headphones we noticed it does benefit from an external amp; although it definitely does still sound good and gets loud enough directly. But I'd imagine strictly for IEM duties, the Mojo 2 direct would be all you need.

Jul 16, 2022 at 8:13 PM Post #5,062 of 10,554
An amp "being sensitive to input cables" - that is a property of any good amp, but it's called being "resolving". My Mojo 2 is connected to a multi-thousand $$ tube amp from a boutique builder in Poland who's respected on these forums (link on last page) and there's nothing wrong with it. It's just revealing enough to hear nuance differences including cables. I am getting great sound from the Evergreen cable from Audioquest, but am always interested in seeing how much better things can get.

Also I hope to not have thrown anybody off with my post on the last page in that the Mojo 2 needs a tube amp to sound good. At least as is the case for me, and a few others who have tried it with full size headphones we noticed it does benefit from an external amp; although it definitely does still sound good and gets loud enough directly. But I'd imagine strictly for IEM duties, the Mojo 2 direct would be all you need.
or for fairly efficient headphones, the M2 powers my very efficent Grado SR225e and GR10e IEM's beautifully, but even my classic GS1000i's,which are fairly inefficient and sounded underwhelming through the OG (M1) but sounds great with Mojo 2, with a little tweaking of the eq. The crossfeed and especially the eq are major features to me, I love how they are customizable in real time during music listening and are totally transparent/non lossy. As I've stated previously, I consider the M2 to be a completely successful upgrade from the original and well worth the price (for me).

Also, it appears that some listen more intently and are more sensitive to nuances of sq. Of course there are genres which benefit more from
more accurately resolving equipment, since I bought the M2 I've been listening a lot more to classical, jazz and more appreciate than before complex, tight
pop and rock. For example, Stravinsky's Firebird (especially the Infernal Dance of King Kastchei) I now love, Gentle Giant's live recording Playing the Fool (1977)
absolutely blew me away, thanks to the Mojo 2's fidelity to the recording.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2022 at 11:36 PM Post #5,063 of 10,554
Sorry, trying to understand why do people use Hiby R3 pro as Streamer for Mojo2?
Is it responsive compared to newer Shanling M3x? Or maybe cheap Android phones?

Jul 20, 2022 at 12:37 AM Post #5,064 of 10,554
Sorry, trying to understand why do people use Hiby R3 pro as Streamer for Mojo2?
it is the similar form / dimension factor if both stacked, and R3s can work either usb c to usb or usb c to 3.5 coax.
There is 3d print stacking case for R3 & Mojo

Jul 20, 2022 at 4:34 AM Post #5,065 of 10,554
Not sure if I'm correct in saying this but my understanding was that android phones in general do not sample at bit perfect rate without USB APP Pro? Or is that for MQA only?

Jul 20, 2022 at 6:25 AM Post #5,066 of 10,554
Not sure if I'm correct in saying this but my understanding was that android phones in general do not sample at bit perfect rate without USB APP Pro?

Yes thats correct. But was curious why R3 Pro? Not Shanling M3x or any other daps?
@chaotic_angel explained it well above

Jul 20, 2022 at 6:46 AM Post #5,067 of 10,554
Yes thats correct. But was curious why R3 Pro? Not Shanling M3x or any other daps?
USB audio pro is not the only app that can do bit-perfect output on Android, but is one of them.

Jul 20, 2022 at 6:39 PM Post #5,068 of 10,554
I demo’s the R3 last week, but opted to return and continue using my iPhone 13 pro for following reasons:

1. Qobuz support/interface not great.
2. Slower than a smartphone.
3. SQ via coax/usb c wasn’t as full (imo) as with iPhone.

Jul 20, 2022 at 7:11 PM Post #5,069 of 10,554
I demo’s the R3 last week, but opted to return and continue using my iPhone 13 pro for following reasons:

1. Qobuz support/interface not great.
2. Slower than a smartphone.
3. SQ via coax/usb c wasn’t as full (imo) as with iPhone.
Wow, I am curious on number 3

Anyone able to explain why so?

Jul 22, 2022 at 8:02 AM Post #5,070 of 10,554
Apologies if this has been asked before.
I want to give my Mojo2 a try via Innious Zen Mini Digital OPT out into Mojo2 and then 3.5mm out to 2 RCA cable into my Topping A90D.

Do I just set the Mojo2 to max volume and adjust the A90D volume to suit ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back