Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Apr 19, 2022 at 4:42 PM Post #3,856 of 10,599
Anyone has any comment regarding the crossfeed function?

I initially was making zero crossfeed but it felt super flat, so I used the lowest level and it got better, but still feel flat. Now trying the medium setting..... but.........

Is it me or Mojo 2 is just somewhat flat sounding device or do I have to crank crossfeed to max?

Which is odd because the review I read keep saying deep sound stage but it just feels very close to your head....... am I doing it wrong?

Apr 19, 2022 at 4:47 PM Post #3,857 of 10,599

I initially was making zero crossfeed but it felt super flat, so I used the lowest level and it got better, but still feel flat. Now trying the medium setting..... but.........

Is it me or Mojo 2 is just somewhat flat sounding device or do I have to crank crossfeed to max?

Which is odd because the review I read keep saying deep sound stage but it just feels very close to your head....... am I doing it wrong?
Agreed with the comments about the Mojo 2 being flat sounding and dry. I engaged the three levels of cross feed but felt it was best set to off. Its the first Chord product I’m not impressed by.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2022 at 5:03 PM Post #3,858 of 10,599
Thanks! Do you find the M2 “relaxing” still or does it require your attention? Does the M1 come off as smoother?

I will be comparing the M2 to the Cayin RU6 and the XDuoo Link 2 Bal. I will probably keep the XDuoo bc of its functionality for pocket portable use and price. I like how I can control the volume from my iPhone and Apple Watch while working outside or running.

The RU6 is much warmer and analogue sounding than the XDuoo and I like it a lot so I’m anxious to see how I feel about the M2 compared to it bc monetarily wise I can/should only keep one. So I’m looking for something to go with the XDuoo.

When I had the M1 a few years ago, I found that the sound was warm and pleasant but I also felt that something was missing. Then I bought the Hugo 2 and … OMG another world !

but … for some reason I cannot listen to it all day long, as said earlier even after playing with crossfeed and / or filters, maybe too analytical or too cold, I don’t know. However it’s still a real joy to listen to it for short sessions that’s why I still have it.

Now with the M2 when I take a break and put the headphones off my head for some reason I‘m thinking of the next moment when I will put them on again, the joy is here 😀. I find it‘s a good compromise between the M1 and the Hugo 2, anyway for me. I know that there’s some resolution / atmosphere / depth missing compared to the Hugo 2 but that doesn‘t bother me as much as it did with the M1.

Don‘t know if that help you but I think the better opinion you can get is your own by listening to the M2, I think it’s worth it.

And btw the EQ feature on the M2 works well when you understand how (by combining EQ settings using the excel tool to approach the response you want from it).

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2022 at 5:11 PM Post #3,859 of 10,599
So... tried to reframe thoughts about the OG and Mojo2 by not listening to either of them for a few weeks...
I was surprised how much I enjoyed the sense of intimacy with the OG given certain pairings.
Then again, the Mojo2 is a slightly more lateral, textured plane of sound.

The more complete device is the Mojo2 for a couple of reasons IMHO. To wit:

1. The EQ and crossfeed really add value for owners with 1 or 2 Headphones / Hearing loss at certain freqs. Super inclusive playground within these parameters.
2. Desktop charging Mode....no more looking at the red light of pain as you have just stumbled across another new track!

Apr 19, 2022 at 5:13 PM Post #3,860 of 10,599

I find the M2 has a relatively wide soundstage (right / left) but lacks a bit in depth.

Regarding the crossfeed I feel I gain a little depth by using it but loose some width and instruments separation, and it also seems to emphasis a bit the mids.

If i remember well Rob Watts said that depth is one of the most difficult thing to reconstruct with dacs and that was one of the purpose of the M scaler.

When will we have a portable M scaler ? 😀

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2022 at 5:43 PM Post #3,861 of 10,599

What are you using with Mojo2?

Apr 19, 2022 at 6:17 PM Post #3,862 of 10,599
When I had the M1 a few years ago, I found that the sound was warm and pleasant but I also felt that something was missing. Then I bought the Hugo 2 and … OMG another world !

but … for some reason I cannot listen to it all day long, as said earlier even after playing with crossfeed and / or filters, maybe too analytical or too cold, I don’t know. However it’s still a real joy to listen to it for short sessions that’s why I still have it.

Now with the M2 when I remove the headphones for some reason I‘m thinking of the next moment when I will wear them again, the joy is here 😀. I find it‘s a good compromise between the M1 and the Hugo 2, anyway for me. I know that there’s some resolution / atmosphere / depth missing compared to the Hugo 2 but that doesn‘t bother me as much as it did with the M1.

Don‘t know if that help you but I think the better opinion you can get is your own by listening to the M2, I think it’s worth it.

And btw the EQ feature on the M2 works well when you understand how (by combining EQ settings using the excel tool to approach the response you want from it).
Thanks for the response. I’ll be using this with 64audio A12ts (which I love).

I’ve been neurotic about which Mojo to get. And I’m hoping I can get the M2 and not think about the M1 and have fear of missing out or something. If the M1 sounds a bit congested or veiled then I think I’ll be happy with the M2. My concern is that it will be too analytical or cold and clear and not allow me to enjoy the music but just focus on all the details. I need a good in between of smooth analogue and spaciousness and detail.

Apr 19, 2022 at 6:37 PM Post #3,863 of 10,599
I have the U12t and much prefer them with the Mojo. I added +2db at 125Hz per Rob Watts’ suggestion but I find the original Mojo to be more dynamic, and for the lack of a better word, puchy.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2022 at 8:43 PM Post #3,864 of 10,599
Thanks for the response. I’ll be using this with 64audio A12ts (which I love).

I’ve been neurotic about which Mojo to get. And I’m hoping I can get the M2 and not think about the M1 and have fear of missing out or something. If the M1 sounds a bit congested or veiled then I think I’ll be happy with the M2. My concern is that it will be too analytical or cold and clear and not allow me to enjoy the music but just focus on all the details. I need a good in between of smooth analogue and spaciousness and detail.
You should be good with Mojo 2. I have both, and still consider OG Mojo the best audio value of my life. But Mojo 2 sounds more detailed and more dynamic, but not as forward as Mojo 1, and more forward than TT2, so somewhere 8n between, but all with the same tonality (unlike Hugo 2, from my way back memory).

Add to that: crossfeed, DSP, and desktop mode.

Apr 19, 2022 at 10:09 PM Post #3,865 of 10,599
Crossfeed actually reduces depth cues by mixing L and R contents with or without certain phase changes and brings music in front of you specially for L R type recordings. Algorithm of crossfeed used by different manufacturers is also different hence different effects. Headphones because of placement of drivers directly towards ears can't project image in front of you like speakers except in binaural recordings. So a dac with good depth perception sounds more "all around you " because that's what is headphones can do. Problem comes when there is little music in centre and everything is on left or right which is not natural and similar to day to day situations or live music perceived by brain. Adding crossfeed reduces this L R effect and makes easier for brain perception. To me mojo 2 and other chord dac's trait is locking of vocals in centre as per the recording, as if the singer is in front of you and music going all around you. This locking of vocals in centre is possible because of better transients reproduction, least distortion, least crosstalk etc.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2022 at 10:26 PM Post #3,866 of 10,599
M2 is more dry/colder sounding if you must compare.
M2 has better bass resolution, and slightly better sound stage.
M2 has fun features.
about it I think.
Damn I suspect for my preference I probably would like M1 more, M2 to me sounds good but also nothing really stands out? Oh though piano sound do sound really good. But otherwise it feels like beauty pageant, everything's perfect at the same time nothing stands out.
Thanks! Do you find the M2 “relaxing” still or does it require your attention? Does the M1 come off as smoother?

I will be comparing the M2 to the Cayin RU6 and the XDuoo Link 2 Bal. I will probably keep the XDuoo bc of its functionality for pocket portable use and price. I like how I can control the volume from my iPhone and Apple Watch while working outside or running.

The RU6 is much warmer and analogue sounding than the XDuoo and I like it a lot so I’m anxious to see how I feel about the M2 compared to it bc monetarily wise I can/should only keep one. So I’m looking for something to go with the XDuoo.
I actually previously had Cayin RU6 then sold it later due to bass feels kind of soft? And there is sub bass roll off and treble roll off. Just couldn't get over it despite it being the most analogue sounding.

I currently have M2 at hand and xDuoo Link2 Bal on the way. But I'm curious to know your impression on xDuoo Link2 Bal vs M2. :)
Agreed with the comments about the Mojo 2 being flat sounding and dry. I engaged the three levels of cross feed but felt it was best set to off. Its the first Chord product I’m not impressed by.
Yeah the biggest surprise to me is that it feels like everything is on the same layer? Like they occupy the same space and there's not enough "air", "layer", "soundstage"?
So... tried to reframe thoughts about the OG and Mojo2 by not listening to either of them for a few weeks...
I was surprised how much I enjoyed the sense of intimacy with the OG given certain pairings.
Then again, the Mojo2 is a slightly more lateral, textured plane of sound.

The more complete device is the Mojo2 for a couple of reasons IMHO. To wit:

1. The EQ and crossfeed really add value for owners with 1 or 2 Headphones / Hearing loss at certain freqs. Super inclusive playground within these parameters.
2. Desktop charging Mode....no more looking at the red light of pain as you have just stumbled across another new track!
I think the most important feature for me is probably Desktop mode. Which basically means I have to use M2 but I still think I probably would like the sound of M1 better for my preference. If only M1 has Desktop mode.....
What are you using with Mojo2?
Hifiman R7DX, but I also tried Denon D5200 on it too but feels like similar results.

Apr 19, 2022 at 10:40 PM Post #3,867 of 10,599
Yeah the biggest surprise to me is that it feels like everything is on the same layer? Like they occupy the same space and there's not enough "air", "layer", "soundstage"?
I completely agree and your other posts mirror my thoughts exactly.

Apr 20, 2022 at 9:48 AM Post #3,868 of 10,599

I've talked about crossfeed, I often like to put crossfeed on minimum for a while,
then after some time switch back and listen some more. Minimal crossfeed can add
more weight and punch, it's subtle but detectable. On some older recordings I often go up to green, especially with my IEM's.

...in what way(s) does M2 sound flat?

I have both the OG and the M2, in my opinion the M2 is about twice as good subjectively as long as you're OK with the relatively compact soundstage...both Mojo's are the same in that respect....In no way to I find the sound of OG better. For me, the M2 takes the OG's sound then improves the detail, precision, texture, especially in the bass/midbass, where the OG sounds somewhat smoothed over by comparison. The bottom to top improved detail and precision gives the M2 an extremely coherent and musical sound. It just sounds right to me. In my system the M2 sounds overall obviously better, and that's without the DSP functions. I did however find that improving the quality of cable over a generic USB made a world of difference with either unit, with a generic USB to me they both sound very lacking to put it mildly. I went from a charging cable to an AQ Jitterbug and Curious Hugo Link, which to my ears transforms either units into another ball park. The Curious is one of my most cherished purchases, it was a really good buy as I bought it used.

The layering/depth of the Mojo 2 is to me superb considering its price, as is the overall sound/musical experience. The PRAT - pace, rythm, attack and timing...is also best in class IMO.

In no way does the M2 sound flat or boring, for me it's the opposite.
Nor is it "thin" sounding in my setup, to me it just sounds amazing.
And this is after having used the M1 for five years; the M2 is to me a
fully successful upgrade and brings the OG right up to date; expensive
but fully worth it to me. I have no interest in upgrading the DAC nor anything else.

....What cable/other equipment are you using with the Mojo 2?

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2022 at 10:00 AM Post #3,869 of 10,599
I've talked about crossfeed, I often like to put crossfeed on minimum for a while,
then after some time switch back and listen some more. Minimal crossfeed can add
more weight and punch, it's subtle but detectable. On some older recordings I often go up to green, especially with my IEM's.

I have both the OG and the M2, in my opinion the M2 is about twice as good subjectively
as long as you're OK with the relatively compact soundstage...both Mojo's are the same in that respect....In no way to I find the sound of OG better. For me, the M2 takes the OG's sound then improves the detail, precision, texture, especially in the bass/midbass, where the OG sounds somewhat smoothed over by comparison. The bottom to top improved detail and precision gives the M2 an extremely coherent and musical sound. In my system the M2 sounds overall obviously better, and that's without the DSP functions. I did however find that improving the quality of cable over a generic USB made a world of difference with either unit, with a generic USB to me they both sound very lacking to put it mildly. I went from a charging cable to an AQ Jitterbug and Curious Hugo Link, which to my ears transforms either units into another ball park. The Curious is one of my most cherished purchases, it was reasonable as bought used.

The layering/depth of the Mojo 2 is to me superb, as is the overall sound/musical experience. The PRAT - pace, rythm, attack and timing...is also best in class IMO
and obviously better than the OG.

but fully worth it to me. I have no interest in upgrading the DAC nor anything else.

PC + UGREEN USB C cable (LOLLL) + Hifiman R7DX (have also tried Denon D5200) + random mini USB B cable for power + Apple iPad charger (for desktop mode).

So you could be right about my generic cables LOL.

Ignore the ugly red cloth LOL.

PXL_20220413_181254090.jpg
PXL_20220407_175348561.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2022 at 10:42 AM Post #3,870 of 10,599

...in what way(s) does M2 sound flat?

I have both the OG and the M2, in my opinion the M2 is about twice as good subjectively as long as you're OK with the relatively compact soundstage...both Mojo's are the same in that respect....In no way to I find the sound of OG better. For me, the M2 takes the OG's sound then improves the detail, precision, texture, especially in the bass/midbass, where the OG sounds somewhat smoothed over by comparison. The bottom to top improved detail and precision gives the M2 an extremely coherent and musical sound. It just sounds right to me. In my system the M2 sounds overall obviously better, and that's without the DSP functions. I did however find that improving the quality of cable over a generic USB made a world of difference with either unit, with a generic USB to me they both sound very lacking to put it mildly. I went from a charging cable to an AQ Jitterbug and Curious Hugo Link, which to my ears transforms either units into another ball park. The Curious is one of my most cherished purchases, it was a really good buy as I bought it used.

The layering/depth of the Mojo 2 is to me superb considering its price, as is the overall sound/musical experience. The PRAT - pace, rythm, attack and timing...is also best in class IMO.

This is how I hear the Mojo 2 as well. There is nothing flat about its sound. It’s just as lively and dynamic as ever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back