Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
May 12, 2024 at 3:40 AM Post #10,591 of 10,855
Just noticed (after couple of hours) I had plugged in the charger to the audio micro-usb port, can it potentially damage the Mojo 2 or there is some built in protection to mitigate such scenarios.
The answer is no damage whatsoever as I expect the power circuit is not used in the audio connection or is turned off based on the USB specifications.

Think of it this way, if you plug your laptop into that socket to listen to music from the laptop, the USB cable carries charging power and the audio signal and that’s the designed usage for the device. All will be well or they would have said don’t plug into laptops, which would be an odd thing because that’s a very common use case.

May 12, 2024 at 4:29 AM Post #10,592 of 10,855
Just noticed (after couple of hours) I had plugged in the charger to the audio micro-usb port, can it potentially damage the Mojo 2 or there is some built in protection to mitigate such scenarios.
It would be a desastrous design if that would brick the mojo. Lots of bricked mojo's would result of that, I don't recall a case.

May 12, 2024 at 5:31 AM Post #10,593 of 10,855
I got a refund for my mojo2 which failed after 11 months.
I am reluctant to buy again because of this USB cable and the potential reliability due to what seems to be to much in a small box and some design issues.
On the other hand I bought it because I was fed up of the dac never ending offer with Chinese companies.
Only well designed proper competition would be adi-2.
I don't need portability and I actually prefer stability and sturdiness.
Chord should create a fiio k9 like mojo2.

May 12, 2024 at 6:29 AM Post #10,596 of 10,855
....Only well designed proper competition would be adi-2...
Owned both the RME ADI2 dac FS and Mojo, the RME was not able to beat mojo's sound, not even the Mojo1.

It might matter less if the headphone or amp/speakers are unable to transfer the strong points of mojo. But if the gear translates well then the stage of mojo will be larger and more engaging.

Don't fall into ASR conclusions if sound is the priority instead if dead data. Precise notes don't 'live' per se.

Last edited:
May 12, 2024 at 6:48 AM Post #10,597 of 10,855
As I said, I had it and the sound with Neumann ndh30 plus eq was great.
I just bought a dx3 plus to have a cheap solution. I also now have a he1000 stealth.
But, it is portable but it gets hot on the bed. You always fear that the micro USB port is going to break, so you move it with extra caution.
And despite that the problem I had does not seem to be a unique case.
But I might get a second one with a two year warranty.

May 12, 2024 at 9:27 AM Post #10,601 of 10,855
Hi, I am looking for planar headphones for my Mojo 2, I am currently on edge between HE 1000 se and DCA E3. Care to share some thoughts?
The DCA Aeon Noire is a great pairing with Mojo/Mojo2. If the E3 is in your budget, it’s an amazing upgrade. If you need portability, Mojo2/E3 is an end-game level system. Add Poly if you can take it (I.e., if it works for your use cases, like mostly Roon on your local WiFi).

May 12, 2024 at 10:12 AM Post #10,602 of 10,855
Hi, I am looking for planar headphones for my Mojo 2, I am currently on edge between HE 1000 se and DCA E3. Care to share some thoughts?
Like my LCD-X (2021) with the Mojo 2, I find it has more dynamic slam than HE1000 SE, it sounds better for low dynamic range music (for example many old rock and heavy metal recordings), SE resolves more though and trumps the LCD-X in most parameters if the recording is good.

May 12, 2024 at 12:10 PM Post #10,604 of 10,855
Lol. What would you choose then?
I'd get the Hugo 2 over the mojo 2. But don't want to spend that much money. Just undecided with mojo 2 or OG Hugo. Similar prices.
May would be high on my list. If I didn't need to pay myself, would love to try MSB Select :)

May 12, 2024 at 3:26 PM Post #10,605 of 10,855
Hi Guys!

My source is a gaming PC, I have an optical cable (nothing extraordinary, it is a Hama Fibre Optical), and an iPower X. Which cable should I use for most optimal listening experience with the Mojo 2? Optical or USB? Should I use a Samsung phone charger (5v/2a) or the iPower X (5v/3a) for most optimal listening experience, if I would like to use the Mojo 2 in desktop mode)?

Thank you in advance!

That’s a nice combination you’ve got there and that’s almost the exact setup I’m using too! :)

The Hama is actually really, really good (I’ve compared against much more expensive ones!) and, as with all optical, gives you total galvanic isolation from the PC. My experience is that Chord DAC’s and optical works great together. It will give you fatigue-free listening that USB can’t match unless you use some kind of isolator. IMHO.

In my setup I also use an iPower but couldn’t say that there is a difference between it and any charger. Actually my main reason for using the iFi is probably just piece of mind at this point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back