Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Mar 9, 2022 at 9:56 AM Post #3,076 of 10,527
What is processed sound like ?

Processed is difficult to describe but when you feel there is something extra there and not only the truth - like Vivid mode on AMOLED screens that make the reds pop but are not true to real life - very pleasant for the eye nonetheless. I have a Hiby RS6 R2R and that one sounds both more lifelike and relaxed, but yet doesn't necessarily have that polished and punchy Vivid mode the Mojo has

Mar 9, 2022 at 1:06 PM Post #3,079 of 10,527
Processed is difficult to describe but when you feel there is something extra there and not only the truth - like Vivid mode on AMOLED screens that make the reds pop but are not true to real life - very pleasant for the eye nonetheless. I have a Hiby RS6 R2R and that one sounds both more lifelike and relaxed, but yet doesn't necessarily have that polished and punchy Vivid mode the Mojo has
So it means mojo adds something extra despite having lower distortion ?

Mar 9, 2022 at 1:25 PM Post #3,080 of 10,527
So it means mojo adds something extra despite having lower distortion ?
That's not how I'd describe it. I'd say it's more like the difference between LCD and OLED screens. For me, the apparent increase in detail seems to be a result of the background being darker.

Compression brings quiet sounds forward, but also squashes dynamics, the Mojo 2 tends towards opening up dynamics to my ears.

Mar 9, 2022 at 3:05 PM Post #3,081 of 10,527
Indeed it's neat and thanks for original post 👍.

I meant it would be so good of Chord or a third party could come up with an attachment similar to Poly but smaller and cheaper. I am waiting to get this done. I have spent this month's quota on Mojo2 😀

I bet the next Mojo iteration (Mojo 2.5 or Mojo 3) will integrate the Poly functions, as the current setup is expensive, inconvenient, and less power efficient.

With USB-C, firmware updates and a Bluetooth 5.x radio, "Mojo x" would be relatively future-proof for the next few years.

Mar 9, 2022 at 3:18 PM Post #3,082 of 10,527
I bet the next Mojo iteration (Mojo 2.5 or Mojo 3) will integrate the Poly functions, as the current setup is expensive, inconvenient, and less power efficient.

With USB-C, firmware updates and a Bluetooth 5.x radio, "Mojo x" would be relatively future-proof for the next few years.
I note that you don't even mention sound quality as a criterion.

Mar 9, 2022 at 9:46 PM Post #3,083 of 10,527
I think sound is assumed...

Mar 9, 2022 at 10:44 PM Post #3,084 of 10,527
My early impressions of the Mojo 2: The location of the USB-C port is really nervous and I suspect it will break. The Mojo 2 I/O design is so odd that it is more of a step backwards than backwards compatible— it’s a lose-lose situation even for Poly owners. The four button interface isn’t intuitive, especially for accessing the EQ or dimmer without the handbook. At this point Chord needs to move on from the multicolor illuminated buttons and find a new design as the settings become more complex. The differences in sound quality are subtle and I think reviews claiming big differences are more to do with post-purchase rationalization. In all, the Mojo 2 is a lateral move at best and I honestly find the original Mojo sounds more full and dynamic. It feels like Rob Watts’ potential to design a great device was stifled by John Franks’ insistence it work with the Poly and they simply wanted to reboot sales. So why did I purchase the Mojo 2? Because I’m gifting my original Mojo and HD600s to a loved one.

For what it’s worth, the FiiO LT-LT1 may not be properly shielded and I perceived a brighter sound (RF noise)-- though this may be related to the Mojo 2’s quirky USB-C Implementation which may be susceptible to RF since it acts as a foot.

780B9109-EA7A-4B34-888F-D89243705CD3.jpeg
Great to finally hear some contrary views here! I love my original Mojo, what do you think the Mojo 2 does better in your opinion if not being as full and dynamic sounding?

Mar 9, 2022 at 10:56 PM Post #3,085 of 10,527
There was a comparison on YouTube for the ifi and the mojo.

I've also heard them, they have a different sound.

I disliked the original Mojo, sounded a bit DSP and digital. I thought the ifi idsd nano black was more natural and organic so I sold the Mojo 1.

Mojo 2 is a different story - it also has the Chord sound which can sound a little processed, but it's much better controlled now. It's a bold, wide and accurate sound signature and it has excellent amplification which has tight control over harder to drive headphones (almost sounding like a class a amp), and coupled with the eq it can just sound quite a bit more mature accurate and impressive than the ifi.

The ifi gryphon still has op amp based amplification which is a bit uninspiring to me, and it hisses with high sensitivity iems requiring the use of iematch, which in turn kills the dynamics of the sound. Also it doesn't have the extensive eq, only a sub bass boost.

I see the gryphon as a Swiss army knife tool, it can do a lot including act as a line in amplification and Bluetooth but it doesn't reach for the stars.. it's based on ifi hasn't really innovated significantly all these years I think.

Don't get me wrong I like ifi, but I feel the gryphon is overpriced for what you get sound quality wise. Im also not a Chord groupie, many times I disliked the Chord sound which is almost as if a compressor has been applied pushing details upfront too much. But the Mojo 2 offers many improvement on top and with its eq it's really rather unique... If it didn't have the eq I would think twice..
What “improvements on top” do you perceive as I’ve also heard others mention the Mojo 2 sounding brighter or sharper?

Mar 9, 2022 at 11:04 PM Post #3,086 of 10,527
Good description! I get that sense from the original Mojo but it’s a sound I really enjoy more than I think I would for whatever reason? I also have an Ares II R2R and I think it definitely does not “pop” (I.e., polished and punchy) like my Mojo!

Mar 9, 2022 at 11:08 PM Post #3,087 of 10,527
What do you think the Mojo 2 does better in your opinion…?
Nothing. The Mojo 2 with the default EQ setting is perhaps more resolving than the Mojo but I’d like to identify the Mojo 2 EQ setting that is most similar to the Mojo‘s tone so I can more objectively compare them (RF noise and a brighter/leaner tone somtimes gives the false impression of higher fidelity). This is a device where the differences are so subtle that you should be weary of reviews that boasted leaps and Hugo 2-like performance— that is all theater and post-purchase rationalization. Let’s be clear, they bare more similarities than differences.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2022 at 11:39 PM Post #3,088 of 10,527
I really appreciate your opinion and feedback. I’ve heard a couple reviewers estimate the Mojo 2 is perhaps a 5 to 10% or maybe 15% improvement, and also heard the Mojo 2 described as “thinner” which sounds less appealing to me in some ways than the original thicker and perhaps more laid back Mojo signature.

As far as post-purchase rationalization, I think that occurs but on the other hand in many cases you can return the Mojo within 30 days. I would think that would curtail some of that phenomenon. Although I do feel these threads seem to lean on the side of pep rallies which makes it hard to glean certain information.

Mar 10, 2022 at 2:03 AM Post #3,089 of 10,527
I really appreciate your opinion and feedback. I’ve heard a couple reviewers estimate the Mojo 2 is perhaps a 5 to 10% or maybe 15% improvement, and also heard the Mojo 2 described as “thinner” which sounds less appealing to me in some ways than the original thicker and perhaps more laid back Mojo signature.

As far as post-purchase rationalization, I think that occurs but on the other hand in many cases you can return the Mojo within 30 days. I would think that would curtail some of that phenomenon. Although I do feel these threads seem to lean on the side of pep rallies which makes it hard to glean certain information.
Mojo OG was warm but it was not laid back by any means. From what I have read so far the treble of Mojo2 is more polished and refined then that of Mojo OG. So it will definitely not cause any discomfort in treble as compared to original. But I haven't heard Mojo 2 so take my advice with grain of salt.

Mar 10, 2022 at 4:26 AM Post #3,090 of 10,527
Still messing around with the Mojo 2, but I'm liking what I'm hearing and the built in EQ is an excellent addition.

test.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back