Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Feb 16, 2022 at 4:30 PM Post #2,671 of 10,527
I would be in the camp that would suggest the pairing isn’t very harmonious. With the tone control in Mojo2 to fix the LCD-XC’s tuning I may reconsider that position, is what I’m getting at.
Yea, if it weren't for the DSP option, I would not think about it.

Feb 16, 2022 at 4:33 PM Post #2,672 of 10,527
It also sounds great with Fiio FH5 as far as IEMs are concerned. Crossfeed really makes a difference IMHO in this case while I am still contemplating its application to full size cans.
Crossfeed is a revelation for IEMs. With headphones not so much, as they dont have the same issues with portraying depth. But still a useful feature depending on the recording.

Feb 16, 2022 at 4:36 PM Post #2,673 of 10,527
Its been complex week with Mojo 1 and Mojo 2 side by side connected to Lumin U1 Mini. I've connected both to USB and optical. Honestly speaking I don't hear any difference between connection types on Mojo 2. After playing a bit with EQ Mojo 2 sounds almost like original one. The crossfeed is great feature but for IEMs so far. Both Mojos are great so still need some more time for analyzing what I am hearing. However if Mojo 2 would be missing EQ/DSP settings I think I would not upgrade, the default sound signature is more closer to Hugo 2/Qutest (from memory) and it is missing this magic bit Mojo 1 had when I listened to it for the very first time. Or maybe I've spend too much time with Mojo 1 and Hugo TT2? Who knows :) After setting Mojo 2 to sound like original one, I really like it.

mojo1vsmojo2lumin.jpg

Feb 16, 2022 at 4:38 PM Post #2,674 of 10,527
Crossfeed is a revelation for IEMs. With headphones not so much, as they dont have the same issues with portraying depth. But still a useful feature depending on the recording.
I find the crossfeed makes a positive difference with closed headphones (e.g., Aeon Noire). What’s the difference between closed backs and IEMs? I use the max usually, from TT2 and Mojo 2, both closed and open cans.

Feb 16, 2022 at 4:41 PM Post #2,675 of 10,527
Its been complex week with Mojo 1 and Mojo 2 side by side connected to Lumin U1 Mini. I've connected both to USB and optical. Honestly speaking I don't hear any difference between connection types on Mojo 2. After playing a bit with EQ Mojo 2 sounds almost like original one. The crossfeed is great feature but for IEMs so far. Both Mojos are great so still need some more time for analyzing what I am hearing. However if Mojo 2 would be missing EQ/DSP settings I think I would not upgrade, the default sound signature is more closer to Hugo 2/Qutest (from memory) and it is missing this magic bit Mojo 1 had when I listened to it for the very first time. Or maybe I've spend too much time with Mojo 1 and Hugo TT2? Who knows :) After setting Mojo 2 to sound like original one, I really like it.

mojo1vsmojo2lumin.jpg
This is interesting. What DSP settings are you using to compensate? I have found the tonality virtually identical (and I had been afraid I’d find Mojo 2 thin in comparison). But it is more detailed and resolving, and has more space between the instruments and sounds, but timbre is the same as OG Mojo, and not “thinner and brighter” as my crude recollection of H2.

Feb 16, 2022 at 4:41 PM Post #2,676 of 10,527
I find the crossfeed makes a positive difference with closed headphones (e.g., Aeon Noire). What’s the difference between closed backs and IEMs? I use the max usually, from TT2 and Mojo 2, both closed and open cans.
I think the same could be applied to closed back headphones too. I just forgot to mention it. I normally don't listen to closed backs at all. All open backs for me. :)

Feb 16, 2022 at 4:54 PM Post #2,678 of 10,527
In case of Mojo 2 I use only max crossfeed, in case of TT2 I really have hard time to hear the difference both between filters and crossfeed settings regardless of used headphones.

Feb 16, 2022 at 4:56 PM Post #2,679 of 10,527
I am considering it. Between the Hugo2 and the DAVE I’m not sure a Mojo2 would be necessary but, as I just posted, it would be an interesting option to compensate for different headphone’s tuning. I’m liking what I’ve been reading about the Mojo2, and I know Rob wouldn’t have released it if there was only a minor improvement to his ears.
After listening to the Mojo 2 I can't say I miss my Hugo 2 much at all. The added features and diminutive size are huge bonus to portability, sound.

Feb 16, 2022 at 4:58 PM Post #2,680 of 10,527
Giving the Mojo 2 a go on its own and paired with the C9. It's outstanding on both fronts!

IMG_1690.jpg

Feb 16, 2022 at 5:07 PM Post #2,681 of 10,527
Following this thread really does show how subjective people's listening impressions are. I keep reading people saying the Mojo 2 is leaner / brighter / more forward than the original. I've never got to hear the original Mojo, but I have spent a couple of days with a Hugo 2. Again, I've heard it described as forward / lean / bright compared to Mojo 2. To my ears, both Mojo 2 and Hugo 2 sound neutral. Bass, particularly on Mojo 2 seems thicker and this maybe makes it sound heavier? Bass on Hugo 2 is still very full IMO, but unlike the Mojo 2, there is much more information in there, giving it more agility. Same across the rest of the audio spectrum I guess, which is why someone coming to that detail level from somewhere more veiled could perceive it as bright. Funnily enough, with the Mojo 2, I felt my Quad ERA-1 needed +2db on the 20Hz trim. With Hugo 2, I really see no want for EQ as the bottom end is fuller, even though the FR of both DACs are the same.

The crossfeed and EQ on the Mojo 2 are brilliantly judged and allow remarkably sophisticated tuning with a super simple interface. Imagine a Hugo 3 with lossless EQ! That would be a stunner allowing for many 'phones to be bought into line.

Feb 16, 2022 at 5:15 PM Post #2,682 of 10,527
My Mojo 2 + Poly has shipped today, so should get it tomorrow. The store was great to deal with and made a 15% discount.
Really hope you enjoy M2 Poly as much as I am. I’m not lucky enough to have room for a desktop setup but I know what decent sounding equipment is. This is streets ahead of OG and perfect listening with a touch of DSP to make everything sound superb / especially back catalogue. It really is magnificent for portable £450 gear. Sadly, now I think this has given me a taste of what hi end audio sounds like and I feel like this is not lifting a veil off my music but me entering the second room

Feb 16, 2022 at 5:47 PM Post #2,684 of 10,527
It can suit certain IEMS and Headphones better than others IMHO. Fab with Heart Mirror and Quad Era-1 for me but less so on others.
I found the use of crossfeed to be more related to the music choice than the headphone choice. Most modern recordings seemed to not benefit from it hugely, but particularly on older recordings where stuff is panned really hard left or right, it works so well. With that and EQ, you have so much room to tailor the sound. The Mojo 2 only wanted +2dB on the 20Hz ball for my tastes, but experiment with settings showed a huge potential for tuning.

Feb 16, 2022 at 7:26 PM Post #2,685 of 10,527
M2 arrived today, next day delivery from Richer Sounds (thank you guys). I was working this evening so I collected it from home on my lunch break and took it into work.

Myself and my colleague spent the evening auditioning the M2 with my Focal Clear OG and I'm delighted with it so far. I had an M1 for 5-6 years which I just sold to fund the M2, so I'm not able to give any side by side comparisons, but first impressions are a wider soundstage and improved detail.

My colleague's usual setup is a Meze 99 classic straight from his Samsung phone so I ended up getting him to listen to song after song because the look on his face was priceless. I put on Great Gig In The Sky and told him to shut his eyes and listen. When it had finished he looked like he'd had a religious experience.

Sitting at home now still listening to song after song, making me want to rediscover my music all over again. Don't regeret this purchase one bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back