Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Feb 16, 2022 at 6:09 AM Post #2,641 of 10,441
It's the capital investment that stops people. We can't get daily financing terms. Otherwise I would have a Dave. I keep asking @Rob Watts and he says 'no'.
I'm trying not to talk myself into a Dave.

Feb 16, 2022 at 6:47 AM Post #2,644 of 10,441
Because batteries in principle are compromised devises. They are big, heavy, with questionable long term stability & performance, deteriorate, are not sustainable, are expensive and at some point in time they will die and you will need to handle the waste. The only reason we are using batteries is because there is no alternative and wireless transmitted electricity based on Tesla's theory is not there yet.

Feb 16, 2022 at 7:08 AM Post #2,646 of 10,441
I am an engineer my self. Would you disagree?

Because batteries in principle are compromised devises. They are big, heavy, with questionable long term stability
Actually, I would strongly disagree. But this is a matter of perspective.

I would argue that the battery is an enabling device that doesn't get credit. Without lithium ion, you wouldn't have a cell phone or a laptop. Electrification of vehicles wouldn't even be a discussion. Most renewable energies wouldn't be economically feasible.

However, people are extremely myopic. If you mention 'battery' they will say "I have to charge my phone every damn night. What a horrible inconvenience this is for me." I challenge you to find somebody that pulls the thread far enough to say "My god. This device wouldn't even exist without this specific electrochemical storage technology. What a marvel!"

With respect to 'long term stability'; I can design and build you cells that will outlast you. The compromise comes from other decisions, not the technology.

But I'm taking this into the weeds. So I'll stop talking about batteries, @ChrisGB 's safety, and wanting to own a Dave.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2022 at 7:25 AM Post #2,647 of 10,441
Because batteries in principle are compromised devises. They are big, heavy, with questionable long term stability & performance, deteriorate, are not sustainable, are expensive and at some point in time they will die and you will need to handle the waste. The only reason we are using batteries is because there is no alternative and wireless transmitted electricity based on Tesla's theory is not there yet.
Is this why people that spend 10k on a vynyl player would do anything to get it battery powered😉

Feb 16, 2022 at 7:26 AM Post #2,648 of 10,441
With respect to 'long term stability'; I can design and build you cells that will outlast you. The compromise comes from other decisions, not the technology.

But I'm taking this into the weeds. So I'll stop talking about batteries, @ChrisGB 's safety, and wanting to own a Dave.
Will outlast me but how much it will cost me. I am not saying that batteries bring no benefits. I am just saying is our only viable solution. Let me ask you something. If you had wirelessly transited electricity based on Tesla's theory, would you opt for batteries? The only reason we use batteries is because there is no other alternative for mobile devices. If batteries were great we would be powering our amplifiers also with batteries. Is an evil we have to live with. At least for now.

Feb 16, 2022 at 7:32 AM Post #2,649 of 10,441
I can’t do it from abroad so I request help if there are any individuals who has both the Mojo2 and the LCD-XC. Could you share your views on this pairing both for amp power sufficiency and for sonic harmony?

Feb 16, 2022 at 9:55 AM Post #2,650 of 10,441
Will outlast me but how much it will cost me. I am not saying that batteries bring no benefits. I am just saying is our only viable solution. Let me ask you something. If you had wirelessly transited electricity based on Tesla's theory, would you opt for batteries? The only reason we use batteries is because there is no other alternative for mobile devices. If batteries were great we would be powering our amplifiers also with batteries. Is an evil we have to live with. At least for now.
Rechargeable batteries I would call environmentally friendly!
If used properly , they last a good few years (My Braun shaver is 20 years old, and battery lasts 4/5 good shaves).
Don't know about theoretical wireless ideas, but in practice, they are the best there is. Necessary evil?! necessary , yes, evil? no.

Feb 16, 2022 at 10:37 AM Post #2,651 of 10,441
Chord could have implemented full USB-C for both data and charging, and kept Poly backward compatibility with a simple passive adaptor such as this.
If ever a new Poly should be conjured up, it could also adopt USB-C and stay compatible.
Really, was it that hard? :

1645025788552.png

Mojo2+Poly wouldn't fit in existing Mojo cases anyways! new cases could be made a few milimeters longer.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2022 at 10:45 AM Post #2,652 of 10,441
Chord could have implemented full USB-C for both data and charging, and kept Poly backward compatibility with a simple passive adaptor such as this.
If ever a new Poly should be conjured up, it could also adopt USB-C and stay compatible.

1645025788552.png

Mojo2+Poly wouldn't fit in existing Mojo cases anyways! new cases could be made a few milimeters longer.
I was thinking the exact same thing the other day.

Ordered a shanling m0 now to see how it works as a transport. Poly is just too much $$$ for my needs

Feb 16, 2022 at 11:10 AM Post #2,653 of 10,441

1645025788552.png

The toslink and coax plugs on Poly won’t both fit into your adapter and fit into Mojo2. The adapter would need to be quite a bit thicker, and necessitate a new case, but it could be done. Assuming now having 3 pieces would be stable. Maybe even add more battery into it!

Feb 16, 2022 at 11:19 AM Post #2,654 of 10,441
The toslink and coax plugs on Poly won’t both fit into your adapter and fit into Mojo2. The adapter would need to be quite a bit thicker, and necessitate a new case, but it could be done. Assuming now having 3 pieces would be stable. Maybe even add more battery into it!
Come on!
It was just a crude suggestion, saying it could have been done.
If you are really nitpicking , look closely, the ends of Toslink and coax inserts are tapered in, they could go into the bottom part of the new insets, no?
OK not 8mm, make it 10mm.
Old Mojo+Poly cases would not fit new Mojo2 anyways.
Little hex locking screws on the adaptor could fix it to Poly firmly - Poly-Mojo is not all that stable, the case or a sleeve takes care of that.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2022 at 11:50 AM Post #2,655 of 10,441
Come on!
It was just a crude suggestion, saying it could have been done.
If you are really nitpicking , look closely, the ends of Toslink and coax inserts are tapered in, they could go into the bottom part of the new insets, no?
OK not 8mm, make it 10mm.
Old Mojo+Poly cases would not fit new Mojo2 anyways.
Little hex locking screws on the adaptor could fix it to Poly firmly - Poly-Mojo is not all that stable, the case or a sleeve takes care of that.
@Kentajalli, I follow your suggestions seriously, in the spirit of improvement and experimentation. Of course I take what you say as concrete, since you usually are!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back