Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Feb 15, 2022 at 10:27 AM Post #2,611 of 10,527
Apologies if this is already been posted, just jumping in. This is the best review I've read about the Mojo 2 so far, I especially like his personal way of describing the sound, and some of the features he mentioned same quite interesting like the 3 imaging modes. Check it out:
https://www.digitaltrends.com/headphone-reviews/chord-mojo-2-review/
Pros and Cons section give indication if an article is worth reading or not. I find it extremely lazy on part of reviewer to say some controls are cumbersome and MQA not supported as only cons. Even a layman can write these cons.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2022 at 10:29 AM Post #2,612 of 10,527
What would you replace USB with? Spdif? AES? I2S? None of them has any data integrity checking protocol and spdif and AES mux clock with the signal and subject to jitter.
Yes, they are subject to jitter but most of the streamer use good quality clocks and so do the DAC. So this jitter results are not that bad as compared to issues we face with USB related to drivers etc.
As an old adage goes - Don’t Let “Perfect” Be the Enemy of “Good”.
So let’s not skip SPDIF just on the fear of jitter. All good DACS and Streamer provide very good result on that front.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2022 at 11:15 AM Post #2,613 of 10,527
Yes, they are subject to jitter but most of the streamer use good quality clocks and so do the DAC. So this jitter results are not that bad as compared to issues we face with USB related to drivers etc.
As an old adage goes - Don’t Let “Perfect” Be the Enemy of “Good”.
So let’s not skip SPDIF just on the fear of jitter. All good DACS and Streamer provide very good result on that front.
I was actually thinking those steamers outputting USB signals. I have never used a dedicated steamer with USB output so I am just going off based on educated guesses. There are dacs that don’t use PLL like Emm Labs, so if that is the case the interface induced clock jitter shouldn’t be an issue. I am generally very skeptical of aes and spdif cables and connectors on both ends that adhere to 75/110ohm impedance requirements.

Feb 15, 2022 at 11:54 AM Post #2,614 of 10,527
Thank you for confirming my suspicions that all Chord DACs do indeed share identical USB firmware and decoders. I have had the issue with my DAVE, Blu MkII, and Mojos for sometime now and noticed reports from owners of DACs across the entire Chord range. It appears to be much more common/frequent in Apple devices equipped with USC-C and running the latest versions of MacOS or iPadOS. The issue sometimes presents immediately after the devices are connected but mostly occurs in the middle of a track. It has absolutely nothing to do with changing sample rates. The loud white noise poses a risk not just to hearing but can potentially destroy the left driver of an expensive/delicate speaker or headphone like the Focal Utopia which is already prone to driver failure. I would encourage Chord to find ways to resolve this problem as soon as possible as it’s not a small issue that can go uncorrected. As soon as someone experiences a costly driver repair or a reviewer experiences it, the issue will become a nightmare in Maidstone. Lastly, Chord’s support team needs to stop cutting and pasting the same standard response to owners about Exclusive Mode— its wrong, makes them look inept, and a lazy way to resolve the issue.

i dont really mind the cut and paste reply aslong as its correct, theres no reason to answer people individually if the answer they are going to give is the same because the question is the same, they do have other things to do afterall so yeh i dont mind that personally.

it is quite a serious issue though but not one im ready to hang chord for just yet since it can be a number of things that might cause it to happen and there is also a huge number of possible combinations of hardware and software that might be posing the problem, so with that said i think the right way to go about it is to work with them by giving as much information as possible and go from there.

Feb 15, 2022 at 12:02 PM Post #2,615 of 10,527
I agree. But it would serve them better to cut and paste, “we are aware of the issue and are investigating it.“ Instead they’re dismissing their customers with an incorrect response as if they can make no faults of their own. That said, I appreciate Rob Watts for candidly responding.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2022 at 1:34 PM Post #2,616 of 10,527
Mojo is for portable use so can’t skip USB but for desktop use or desktop DAC, it’s better to use a streamer or a DDC and avoid USB altogether.
Can confirm. My mojos are brilliant with the Allo digione. I don’t have these issues.

Feb 15, 2022 at 2:44 PM Post #2,617 of 10,527
I had problems with my hugo tt connected to an android phone using uapp. I spent two days with the creator of uapp to resolve the issue

Feb 15, 2022 at 2:54 PM Post #2,618 of 10,527
The ddHifi adapter and cables all work perfectly.
Also Hidiz lightning to usbc adapter.
Fiio usbc to usbc cable.

I just Velcro the Mojo 2 on a spare iPhone case.
Ok, I bought a cheap MFI Lightning to USB C cable but that didn’t work with the M2 and my iPhone XR. Will see if your suggestions are available in Europe/Denmark. Other options are of course welcome. Would be nice to ditch the CCK.

Feb 15, 2022 at 3:08 PM Post #2,619 of 10,527
I agree. But it would serve them better to cut and paste, “we are aware of the issue and are investigating it.“ Instead they’re dismissing their customers with an incorrect response as if they can make no faults of their own. That said, I appreciate Rob Watts for candidly responding.
It was the same when Poly first released. I was one of the first users to post on Head Fi about all the connection issues and the fact every time you turned it on it spend 27 minutes indexing the SD card etc. The initial response from Chord was something along the lines of ’Poly is perfect, you’re using it wrong’. Further to this the customers that had a very specific setup that experienced no issues started attacking the customers that were experiencing issues. People talking about actual problems they were experiencing were being treating like they were being vengeful when in fact they were just trying to get their devices to work as advertised. It was a painful process to get Chord to admit there were issues and it has only been recently (with the release of FW 3.0) that most people have a Poly that works as intended. I hope Chord have learnt from that experience and listen to customers rather than just deny any problems exist.

Feb 15, 2022 at 3:37 PM Post #2,620 of 10,527
Purchased the Mojo2Poly combo. Impressions to follow.
I’ve had the Mojo2Poly combo for the best part of 36 hours, after a 6-hour charge and 30-hour burn-in, I’ve set the device up.

I’m still formulating my opinions on sound but what I can say is that setting up the Poly was a doddle. My main hesitancy surrounding picking up this combo was functionality getting in the way of the music.

If there are any Apple users lurking, I would say: ‘come in, the water is lovely’. Airplay and Roon functionality across the board (iPad, iPhone, and new MacBook Pro) has been stellar in my opening afternoon. And I’m not the most technical with computers or very experienced with high-end audio in general.

Feb 15, 2022 at 3:45 PM Post #2,621 of 10,527
Most impressed by M2 with both headphones and iems, i think Rob Watts has really achieved something special here!!

Attachments

• 4BE6ADC8-CF41-44D6-B6B0-7904D54F09F4.jpeg
    4BE6ADC8-CF41-44D6-B6B0-7904D54F09F4.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 7A2E2BEC-2B4D-4036-9CE9-B2BB230C2C6F.jpeg
    7A2E2BEC-2B4D-4036-9CE9-B2BB230C2C6F.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
Feb 15, 2022 at 3:50 PM Post #2,622 of 10,527
Ok, I bought a cheap MFI Lightning to USB C cable but that didn’t work with the M2 and my iPhone XR. Will see if your suggestions are available in Europe/Denmark. Other options are of course welcome. Would be nice to ditch the CCK.
I have had generally good experiences with this cable:
http://www.meenova.com/st/p/lgtnmuc.html

I had the white noise issue with one long version of them, but it was exchanged and the new one worked well. After maybe 2 years they were worn and I bought a new pair of short and long cable which have been working for a year. Use them with iPhone XR, SE and 2016 iPad Pro

Feb 15, 2022 at 4:16 PM Post #2,623 of 10,527
Most impressed by M2 with both headphones and iems, i think Rob Watts has really achieved something special here!!
Yep, very happy with my CIEMs. A completely black background with my Spiral Ear SE5Us which used to have some interference with M1.

Feb 15, 2022 at 4:19 PM Post #2,624 of 10,527
Some fancier shots via 13 Pro😇

Attachments

• EDE020AA-AA57-4875-9536-E21B0F15F6F2.jpeg
    EDE020AA-AA57-4875-9536-E21B0F15F6F2.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • DCDB4F13-B378-47B0-8FC4-40627940F968.jpeg
    DCDB4F13-B378-47B0-8FC4-40627940F968.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 8F482FB7-5CDF-4848-A4B6-C45F360C6FBB.jpeg
    8F482FB7-5CDF-4848-A4B6-C45F360C6FBB.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0