Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Feb 11, 2022 at 3:54 PM Post #2,433 of 10,527
On my 2nd (replacement) Mojo 2 and got the same ear piercing white noise twice in the space of 10 minutes. I just tried my iPad Pro and got it again after 20 minutes or so. Seems my original unit wasn't defective and there's obviously something going on when Mojo 2 is connected to some Apple devices. I haven't tired my iPhone yet.
I have listened several hours to mojo 2, with ipad pro and never had any noises coming out, that didn´t belong to the music.
There might be something wrong, since you hear this noise, but i don´t think it has something to do with the ipad mojo combination in general.

Feb 11, 2022 at 3:54 PM Post #2,434 of 10,527
On my 2nd (replacement) Mojo 2 and got the same ear piercing white noise twice in the space of 10 minutes. I just tried my iPad Pro and got it again after 20 minutes or so. Seems my original unit wasn't defective and there's obviously something going on when Mojo 2 is connected to some Apple devices. I haven't tired my iPhone yet.
As I mentioned, I have been experiencing the exact same issue with recent versions of MacOS and iPadOS with my DAVE+Blu Mk2. The issue is likely not specific to the Mojo 2 and the problem is most likely on the Apple side (though it could be in the way Chord devices interface with Apple USB signals). My USB woes aren't limited to noise in the left driver and the signal can become significantly or so very subtly distorted that I have to restart all of the devices. There are discussions on other audio forums about USB problems with Apple devices and its more prevalent on the latest software builds and M1 powered devices.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2022 at 3:59 PM Post #2,435 of 10,527
As I mentioned, I have been experiencing the exact same issue with recent versions of MacOS and iPadOS with my DAVE+Blu Mk2. The issue is likely not specific to the Mojo 2 and the problem is most likely is on the Apple side (though it could be in the way Chord devices interface with Apple USB signals). The USB woes aren't limited to noise in the left driver and the signal can become significantly or very subtly distorted that I have had to restart all of the devices. There are discussions on other audio forums about USB woes with Apple devices and its more prevalent on the latest software builds and M1 powered devices.
Interesting, since i have an M1 ipad actually. I use it for qobuz mojo 1 & mojo 2 streaming, but tried youtube and downloaded videos and flac music as well.
I hope i don´t get the troubles you described.

Feb 11, 2022 at 4:01 PM Post #2,436 of 10,527
I have listened several hours to mojo 2, with ipad pro and never had any noises coming out, that didn´t belong to the music.
There might be something wrong, since you hear this noise, but i don´t think it has something to do with the ipad mojo combination in general.
The trouble is there’s so many variables play. It could be to do with a certain bitrate on apple devices, or bitrate + Roon + iPad… then you have iOS versions, different iPad versions etc

Feb 11, 2022 at 4:32 PM Post #2,440 of 10,527
Campfire Andromeda seems to have a very good synergy with the Mojo 2. The Andro likes impedance around 1> 1.5ohm - the Mojo 2 has it close to 0 - but because of it's perky and bright nature, plus with a little mid bass eq offset it balances out the Andro really nicely - in general there's something about Mojo's forward detailed and clean sound that enhances the Andro's qualities, but thanks to the low impedance it is cocooned in nice warmish way.

Also I can't hear any noise at all, the amplification is very clean.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2022 at 7:45 PM Post #2,441 of 10,527
It's happened with Micro USB connection, and USB-C connection (with 2 different good quality cables). No cables were moving/touched when this has been happening either. I'll do some more testing though 👍🏻
That reminds me I had something similar with M1 when I was experimenting with upsampling in Audirvana. Seems that Mojo really doesn’t like it and would go into a heavily-distorted/white noise after 5-10 minutes, and I’d have to turn it off and on to get it back to normal. Sounds from your description like you have something similar going on.

Feb 11, 2022 at 8:18 PM Post #2,442 of 10,527
Its not solely an M1 issue. It happens with my max spec 16" MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 and 12.9" iPad Pro (5th generation) with the M1. It may be more prevalent/discussed online in M1 devices but I'm not convinced there is a correlation. Its more likely the latest releases of MacOS/iOS, USB-C, or the way Chord DACs interface with Apple devices with USB-C (I have never had this issue with Lightning). Ultimately there are better options than Apple and ditching them might be the sure fix.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2022 at 9:18 PM Post #2,444 of 10,527
Its not solely an M1 issue. It happens with my max spec 16" MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 and 12.9" iPad Pro (5th generation) with the M1. It may be more prevalent/discussed online in M1 devices but I'm not convinced there is a correlation. Its more likely the latest releases of MacOS/iOS, USB-C, or the way Chord DACs interface with Apple devices with USB-C (I have never had this issue with Lightning). Ultimately there are better options than Apple and ditching them might be the sure fix.
...I have the Mojo OG working fine on M1 Mac with 12.1 using Apple USB-C/USB-A adapter/AQ Jitterbug to micro-USB cable without issue. When I get Mojo 2 and use the same connection will it also likely work fine....the info posted thus far indicates that it should (that it's not unique to the newer Mojo 2 but happens on the Qutest and Dave as well). ....Also I notice that there's 12.2.1 available...should I hold off for now?

My understanding is that if I'm not getting this issue with Mojo OG and use the same cable connection to M2 that it should also work w/out the issue, (but possibly might happen using USB-C). Now I'm a bit concerned but hopeful, OG should be arriving within days!

Feb 11, 2022 at 9:27 PM Post #2,445 of 10,527
...I have the Mojo OG working fine on M1 Mac with 12.1 using Apple USB-C/USB-A adapter/AQ Jitterbug to micro-USB cable without issue. When I get Mojo 2 and use the same connection will it also likely work fine....the info posted thus far indicates that it should (that it's not unique to the newer Mojo 2 but happens on the Qutest and Dave as well). ....Also I notice that there's 12.2.1 available...should I hold off for now?

My understanding is that if I'm not getting this issue with Mojo OG and use the same cable connection to M2 that it should also work w/out the issue, (but possibly might happen using USB-C). Now I'm a bit concerned but hopeful, OG should be arriving within days!
Very interesting. I forgot the Qutest even existed and given that its happening across all Chord DACs I need't say more. And no, upgrading won't make a difference-- I'm experiencing it with the latest MacOS developer beta (different than the public beta) and its no better. One of the many reasons I wish Chord would slow their product releases and seriously look into supporting firmware updates when things like this arise. That said USB audio is complex, its moving fast and some DACs aren't disposable like an HP printer-- because even those support firmware updates. I'd happily pay to send in my Chord DACs for a flash to fix bugs and whatever new ideas Rob Watts dreams up.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back