Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Feb 3, 2022 at 5:12 AM Post #1,876 of 10,527
Initial thoughts after a day:

Sound wise, a cleaner, livelier sound than the original Mojo. I was pleased that a 3D image jumped out at me through all my IEMs (I haven't tried headphones).

I haven't compared it directly with my Hugo 2 yet, but I can say the Mojo 2 sounds musical and 'lovely' - something I wouldn't say about the H2.

My favourite thing about the M2 is the crossfeed, which I also love on the Hugo and H2. For IEMs at least it throws the music on a stage in front - it's fun picking out the position of individual instruments on the 'stage'.

Sadly I've had the same connection problems I had with the original Mojo - Chord DACS just don't play nicely with iPhones for me. It won't work using a CCK and my FIIO lightning dongle worked yesterday but not today. If anyone can tell me a reliable solution I'd be grateful (though I'd rather not buy a Poly).
what about compared to Hugo 1? I recall that being a favourite of yours :wink:

Feb 3, 2022 at 5:13 AM Post #1,877 of 10,527
The mojo sounds not so good with an IPhone??
Sadly yes, compared to the ipad.
A while ago i´ve listened to some qobuz streaming i´ve heard the other day and it was sounding worse.
I asked myself what was different yesterday and remembered i´ve used the ipad, than i made direct comparisons with several tracks
with the same settings and the iphone was sounding thinner with less authority and density.
There was no sound difference between the 2020 or 2021 ipads and their different chip sets..
I tried huawei P40 pro, but android changes everything to the same sampling rates on its own, so it doesn´t work perfect anyway.
The iphone doesn´t sound bad per se, but it definitly loses against the ipad.

Feb 3, 2022 at 5:30 AM Post #1,878 of 10,527
Sadly yes, compared to the ipad.
A while ago i´ve listened to some qobuz streaming i´ve heard the other day and it was sounding worse.
I asked myself what was different yesterday and remembered i´ve used the ipad, than i made direct comparisons with several tracks
with the same settings and the iphone was sounding thinner with less authority and density.
There was no sound difference between the 2020 or 2021 ipads and their different chip sets..
I tried huawei P40 pro, but android changes everything to the same sampling rates on its own, so it doesn´t work perfect anyway.
The iphone doesn´t sound bad per se, but it definitly loses against the ipad.
Well a good source is always good for DAC. An iPhone has lot of things cramped in small enclosure and it’s prone to sending some noise back to DAC. Mojo is prone to picking up noise from phone so no wonder iPad sounds better with it

Feb 3, 2022 at 5:40 AM Post #1,880 of 10,527
The mojo sounds not so good with an IPhone??
Mojo 2 works perfectly with the iPhone via Poly. Others have had issues but for my simple streaming at home / out and about it’s never been an issue on M1/2. It also removes the main issue I have with cables - they degrade over time and the connection then becomes flaky after a few months.

Feb 3, 2022 at 5:46 AM Post #1,881 of 10,527
Interested in the iPhone quality via CCK into Mojo comments, as that is what i’m currently using at work (Roon->Poly/Mojo at home).

Based on the comments, i’d imagine that macbook -> usb-c/micro cable -> mojo is better than iPad -> CCK cable -> mojo is better than iPhone -> CCK cable -> mojo. Would that seem about right?

However, each of these is increasingly unwieldy and not so convenient for me at work. Is there a better solution for this scenario ? Is it time to start looking at Portable dap devices?

Basic scenario is using qobuz/tidal to stream/offline hi res into mojo from a Wi-Fi/device at work office

Feb 3, 2022 at 5:49 AM Post #1,882 of 10,527
Sadly I've had the same connection problems I had with the original Mojo - Chord DACS just don't play nicely with iPhones for me. It won't work using a CCK and my FIIO lightning dongle worked yesterday but not today. If anyone can tell me a reliable solution I'd be grateful (though I'd rather not buy a Poly).
Could this be faulty port or cable? I am using a well used 2 year old CCK with no issues and from what I have seen yours is the first post with this issue. Maybe worth having looked at and if replacement is needed?

Feb 3, 2022 at 5:56 AM Post #1,883 of 10,527
Would you mind sharing in which ways you preferred the Mojo 2 over the Hugo 2? Is the preference in terms of tonal balance, soundstage, resolution, precision, etc.
I'm not great at articulating these things, but if anything it just seemed to sound deeper, fuller with more precise bass, and the treble was handled better by the Mojo 2 at higher volumes imo. I also wonder if it might be that the Mojo 2 was a better partner with the Sennheiser HD800S headphones.

Feb 3, 2022 at 5:56 AM Post #1,884 of 10,527
Well audioquest dragon tail is better than cck and good usb cables help a lot.
I don´t if the mojo 2 still needs filtering, like the mojo 1 does.
I´m talking about an usb noise filter from audioquest or ifi
I will propably try direct usb-C cable with out adapter and filter, if there is some usb filtering on the mojo 2.
I´m streaming qobuz via wifi to the ipad and than via usb to the mojo.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2022 at 6:01 AM Post #1,885 of 10,527
Second observation. Interference from mobile 4G is still there just like it was in Mojo1. That makes it a transportable and not portable device unless you have a poly and you can keep the mobile away from the mojo.
My experience has been different so far. I've just tried the Mojo 2 with an iPhone with a short USB-C/Lightning cable and I had no problems with interference.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back