Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Jan 31, 2022 at 4:19 AM Post #1,366 of 10,477
@kumar402 nope, but how typical of British Gents who thinks their timezone is the one to rule the world, I guess some habit from good old times of Great British Empire when ruling over seas and oceans :wink:
The good old days 😁😉

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2022 at 4:19 AM Post #1,368 of 10,477
I don't understand the negativity around Micro-USB. There is a USB-C input, and the Micro-USB connection is obviously for backwards compatibility with Poly.
you have to carry a micro-usb cable just to charge it, when everyone is using usb-c. usb-c also enables fast charging. new mojo is missing out. having said that, i still bought it.

Jan 31, 2022 at 4:21 AM Post #1,369 of 10,477
Fast charging would have been nice, but not having it´s no deal breaker for me.
The possibility to use usb c as well as usb micro for audio connection, is very nice.
Now i use audioquest dragontail/coffee usb a, to micro usb, since there is no usb c to micro usb wire.
So i appreciate the possibilty to use an usb c to usb c wire without the dongle, but i would have to buy a new wire.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2022 at 4:25 AM Post #1,370 of 10,477
@kumar402 nope, but how typical of British Gents who thinks their timezone is the one to rule the world, I guess some habit from good old times of Great British Empire when ruling over seas and oceans :wink:

It's a British company who operate during British business hours. There is an irony in your expectation that they should adhere to somebody else's time zone... figure it out...

Jan 31, 2022 at 4:26 AM Post #1,371 of 10,477
Total Harmonic Distortion (THD - 1 KHz, 2.5 V / 300 Ω): 0.0003% ) for mojo 2, for original mojo it was @ 3v: 0.00017%, so the difference is due to 2.5v vs 3v or may be mojo figure was for 600ohm ?

Jan 31, 2022 at 4:26 AM Post #1,372 of 10,477
Any idea of where to get a short usb c - lightning cable in Europe?

Apple's own is 1m and upwards. Would be nice with a shorter (and maybe cheap) cable to connect directly with the iPhone.

I know one can use Chord's own micro usb - usb a cable but that would have to be connected to the cck adapter.

Jan 31, 2022 at 4:27 AM Post #1,373 of 10,477
you have to carry a micro-usb cable just to charge it, when everyone is using usb-c. usb-c also enables fast charging. new mojo is missing out. having said that, i still bought it.

Ah, right, in that case I take back what I said... *** Chord! :angry:

I jest! :D

It wouldn't put me off, but I imagine that must also be to do with the Poly backwards compatibility given the power and data must line up in order to attach them? Frustrating for the non-Poly users all the same.

Jan 31, 2022 at 4:29 AM Post #1,374 of 10,477
usb-c also enables fast charging.
Usb c is just an interface. By itself It enables jack shiiiiiit

And fast charging could be done using micro USB.

A lot of post here just show pure ignorance and a lot of wishful thinking.

But I'm not gonna lie, I have a lot of fun reading posts here. Keep them going.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2022 at 4:29 AM Post #1,375 of 10,477
https://www.xilinx.com/html_docs/ip_docs/pru_files/v-uhdsdi-audio.html

On this document, UHD DSP seems to be relatif to only Ultrascale FPGA But it seems usable with Artix 7 too.

With Gofigure could we change the coefficients in the UHD DSP for equalisation with one interface USB of the Mojo2 or across the Poly?
40 years later, maybe I will restart to use an equalizer.

The Mojo UHD DSP is my own unique custom core, it's nothing to do with Xilinx IP.

I’ve just got in from work. Here’s the summary at the bottom of the HFW review.

Lack of balanced output should be in the advantages side; adding balanced outputs would degrade transparency with my DAC architecture.

I was unfamiliar with the Gryphon so I just had a look at it. Yeah on paper it seems to have a lot more going for it. When price constraints are imposed on a DAC, that's not always a good thing. Smart though to wait for reports to come back. Both look like great options and I don't think anyone could go wrong with either choice.

Having said that, I think the eq feature in Mojo 2 is going to be a real difference-maker. That has a good chance of leaving much of the competition in the dust. I base that on how much folks here fiddle with different pads to try to get the sound they prefer from their headphones. Mojo 2 owners might not have to mess with such things going forward.

Like most audiophiles I always hated tone controls or EQ, as they damage sound quality. This also applies with 64 bit processing (more on this later today). So having an ability to adjust tonal quality without it degrading sound quality should prove very interesting - I am intrigued as to how this will be accepted by users.

Any retailer advertising a pre-order pre-embargo is risking getting no stock at all. That would be rather embarrassing, having to refund all their customers.

You mean, I think it should have Bluetooth. I think, like someone else suggested, a Gryphon is a better option if you want Bluetooth, and I haven't tried it yet. Maybe when APTx Lossless becomes available... and if it is actually lossless and works reliably (I'm willing to best that most of the time it isn't lossless). Chord obviously have put their energy in the Poly and true lossless transmission using WiFi, though it has been something of a rough ride.

Here's what I think the logic is here:
You might ask, why not have both ports as they have with the data port, if they want to keep Poly compatibility? I'm willing to bet there's a reason preventing that, such as safety. There is always some idiot out there that will try and use both charging ports at the same time, maybe with a Poly connected, and fry the device, for example. Two ports may also not meet whatever charging specifications it is supposed to meet. Basically, a bad idea overall. Then, of course, between the minor inconvenience of having to use a micro USB cable, versus the major inconvenience of Poly customers being screwed over, I think the choice was pretty obvious.

Not to mention, the people who are genuinely upset at not having both ports being USB-C is going to be incredibly small in number versus the vast majority of people who don't care.

And the USB-C socket itself, other than being able to be inserted in either direction, brings zero benefit in and of itself.

The intent was to put two charging ports in - micro and USB C. However, it was impossible to fit the extra USB C charging port - USB C connectors are quite large and deep.

Just catching up on the posts. I really liked the original Mojo. But if the rumours are true that the Mojo 2 charges by micro usb, I don’t care how good it might sound, it’s not on my list to buy. I only have one device now that uses micro usb and that’s a 5 year old Sony camera, that’s due to be replaced, and the replacement will have usb c. All my plugs are usb c, and it makes life so much easier. Here’s to hoping it will charge by usb c.

You need to understand one essential truth for me.

Musicality/sound quality comes first.
Musicality/sound quality comes second.
Musicality/sound quality comes third.
Musicality/sound quality comes fourth.
Musicality/sound quality comes fifth.
Musicality/sound quality comes sixth.
Everything else is next.

If musicality is not your number one priority, look elsewhere. You will be inundated with choice.

Jan 31, 2022 at 4:29 AM Post #1,376 of 10,477
Fast charging would have been nice, but not having it´s no deal breaker for me.
The possibility to use usb c as well as usb micro for audio connection, is very nice.
Now i use audioquest dragontail/coffee usb a, to micro usb, since there is no usb c to micro usb wire.
So i appreciate the possibilty to use an usb c to usb c wire without the dongle, but i would have to buy a new wire.
If by fast charging you mean QC or PD that was never going to happen as I understand it this functionality is part of the SOC in mobile phones etc.

Even iFi who have started to implement a USB C connection still limit charging to 5V 2A or 10 watts.

Jan 31, 2022 at 4:34 AM Post #1,377 of 10,477
The Mojo UHD DSP is my own unique custom core, it's nothing to do with Xilinx IP.

Lack of balanced output should be in the advantages side; adding balanced outputs would degrade transparency with my DAC architecture.

Like most audiophiles I always hated tone controls or EQ, as they damage sound quality. This also applies with 64 bit processing (more on this later today). So having an ability to adjust tonal quality without it degrading sound quality should prove very interesting - I am intrigued as to how this will be accepted by users.

The intent was to put two charging ports in - micro and USB C. However, it was impossible to fit the extra USB C charging port - USB C connectors are quite large and deep.

Everything else is next.

If musicality is not your number one priority, look elsewhere. You will be inundated with choice.
Morning Rob,

Thanks for your reply to everyone's comments. Is there a dedicated thread yet for the Mojo 2 or is it going live soon? :)

Jan 31, 2022 at 4:37 AM Post #1,378 of 10,477
It's very odd to need micro-USB to charge, I almost don't believe it, as it should be quite simple to have two charging inputs, both USB-C and micro USB. From an electronics perspective i can't see how that would cause any problems?

Strange. Chord must have a reason.

Jan 31, 2022 at 4:37 AM Post #1,379 of 10,477

Everything else is next.

Glad to see this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back