Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Jan 29, 2022 at 5:54 PM Post #1,246 of 10,527
So is this a good buy knowing what we know so far? I feel like I'll wait for reviews first before pulling the trigger.
Actually much better than expected IMO. No coupling capacitors in the output, crossfeed (yes! I really missed that compared to Hugo 2), desktop mode, EQ!? Biggie! Great for IEMs. And even more! I am really impressed.

Jan 29, 2022 at 6:18 PM Post #1,247 of 10,527
From Hifigo rumours thread: there's USB-C but not for charging....

355d7a1c102fed5757051eb686a7ec1fcc6bbaf1.jpeg
It's already confirmed USB-C as a input. Charging is through micro USB.

Jan 29, 2022 at 6:20 PM Post #1,248 of 10,527
It's already confirmed USB-C as a input. Charging is through micro USB.
Charging through micro-USB? I'm sorry what Chord?
This is going to have to sound amazing. It has the same battery life as the ifi go blu, a tiny unit which is like seven times lighter, and charges through an archaic method. It seems like the technology is last gen tbh.

Jan 29, 2022 at 6:23 PM Post #1,249 of 10,527
Charging through micro-USB? I'm sorry what Chord?
This is going to have to sound amazing. It has the same battery life as the ifi go blu, a tiny unit which is like seven times lighter, and charges through an archaic method. It seems like the technology is last gen tbh.

I also prefer USB-C over micro USB but I guess Chord kept the same design to be compatible with the Poly.

Jan 29, 2022 at 6:30 PM Post #1,251 of 10,527
I also prefer USB-C over micro USB but I guess Chord kept the same design to be compatible with the Poly.
Amusing part is they could've probably built a bluetooth transmitter and a microsd reader into the Mojo 2 for what, £20-30 more on the line production cost? People are putting both of those in $90 DAPs, with screens, CPUs, etc, etc.

I think in this case their desire to make money of more poly sales has left them with what looks like an essentially backwards product that belongs in another decade. It's quite likely their desire to make more money will actually leave them with less....

Jan 29, 2022 at 6:36 PM Post #1,252 of 10,527
A lot of poly customers would be annoyed if they wanted to upgrade mojo and it wasn’t compatible
You mean all 8 of them? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Sorry... I could not resist...

Jan 29, 2022 at 7:14 PM Post #1,255 of 10,527
Well, it seems like pics I posted sometime ago. And that others had posted turned out to be the actual product. Some of them are from last Spring. So Chord has been sitting on this for awhile. Probably had to stop production because of shortages. My local dealer had placed his order in June. And was to receive them in September. But, nothing happened. I guess it's happening now.

Jan 29, 2022 at 7:46 PM Post #1,256 of 10,527
I feel like I must be doing something wrong…. My mojo/poly has worked as well as any dap since day 1. Roon, upnp, phone hotspot, poly hotspot etc. My only beef is poly discharging without use. Look forward to mojo 2 sound quality impressions. Micro usb on any device in 2022 is wrong.

Jan 29, 2022 at 9:59 PM Post #1,257 of 10,527
They were referring to the output being single ended and not balanced, nothing to do with the USB connection.
I detest output adapters, too. I have bought many 2.5mm to 4.4mm adapters and they don't last long. That's part of being adapter averse. I dislike input and output adapters.

Jan 29, 2022 at 11:05 PM Post #1,259 of 10,527
I'm just eager to see @Currawong review this thing. I think he's the only reviewer smart enough to review it against its predecessor and give an honest assessment. Based on his comments though, I don't put much stock in the technology commentary.
  • The micro-USB ship has sailed for portable devices and many people care - otherwise, most competitors wouldn't have changed.
  • The Poly was not universally loved like the Mojo, and most folks who needed that functionality found better, smarter tools to get what they need.
  • The topology might not need balanced output to sound better (shoot- mojo provided more power to the 3.5mm than most of my $1000+ DAPs with their balanced outputs) but high-end headphones rely on either 6.3 or 4.4 mm plugs these days
I just don't think there is data to support the conclusion that most customers won't care about these things. If you're buying $2000 - $4000 headphones, you're probably rocking other recent tech. Inconveniences add up.

I don't have a bone to pick here with Chord or people who defend the design, but just a little disappointment in whether Chord even gives a care for where the market moves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back