Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Jan 29, 2022 at 11:42 PM Post #1,261 of 10,635
Friends, I should chill out, but I just feel like this update is a slap in the face of folks who want more from a company after a seven year wait. People who've watched other companies evolve and experiment with cool new designs. Dongles that add spectacular new features through firmware.

If their magical EQ function isn't going to be managed through an app, I suspect we will require an instruction manual so we can manipulate the mojo's weird little balls to get to what we want. yay.

Jan 30, 2022 at 12:45 AM Post #1,262 of 10,635
  • The micro-USB ship has sailed for portable devices and many people care - otherwise, most competitors wouldn't have changed.
I despise micro-USB, so I understand the disappointment. But in the big scheme of things, this reaction seems a little overblown. Micro-USB will only need to be used for charging so it's not like there's any loss in functionality.

• The Poly was not universally loved like the Mojo, and most folks who needed that functionality found better, smarter tools to get what they need.
I can't stand companies that just bail on existing customers. Chord is now finally showing a commitment to the Poly that seemed not to be there for most of its life. The original concept of Poly adding connectivity options to the Mojo was a smart one - but it had just been poorly executed as far as firmware and software. The hardware itself has been sound so with continued updates there is still hope for it.

• The topology might not need balanced output to sound better (shoot- mojo provided more power to the 3.5mm than most of my $1000+ DAPs with their balanced outputs) but high-end headphones rely on either 6.3 or 4.4 mm plugs these days
The market for mobile DACs is tremendous. There will be some companies that aim to capture as much of the market as they can and there will be others that focus on a particular niche that plays to their strengths. Chord's Rob Watts designed a DAC that is still viewed by many as one of the best on the planet, the DAVE. Chord is therefore wise to focus on the particular niche that values sound quality above everything else. That Chord can offer an inexpensive mobile DAC that was cut from the same cloth as the DAVE is something no other manufacturer can do.

It's up to everyone individually to decide what's most important to them. Unfortunately that often comes with a set of tradeoffs.

I just don't think there is data to support the conclusion that most customers won't care about these things. If you're buying $2000 - $4000 headphones, you're probably rocking other recent tech. Inconveniences add up.

I actually agree with you on the inconveniences adding up. I've felt that about Poly through most of the time I've owned it. So despite my fondness for the sound quality that Rob is able to deliver, I might still end up with something like the iBasso DX300. My fear though is finding that the grass isn't actually greener with that.

I don't have a bone to pick here with Chord or people who defend the design, but just a little disappointment in whether Chord even gives a care for where the market moves.
I hear you. I'm actually a product manager for a technology company so I thought I'd offer some insight into what their reasoning might be. It never goes well when a company tries to be everything for everyone. Success is more likely to come by carving out the right niche. The job can be a lot more fun when you do that too.

Jan 30, 2022 at 1:43 AM Post #1,263 of 10,635
Just catching up on the posts. I really liked the original Mojo. But if the rumours are true that the Mojo 2 charges by micro usb, I don’t care how good it might sound, it’s not on my list to buy. I only have one device now that uses micro usb and that’s a 5 year old Sony camera, that’s due to be replaced, and the replacement will have usb c. All my plugs are usb c, and it makes life so much easier. Here’s to hoping it will charge by usb c.

Jan 30, 2022 at 2:50 AM Post #1,264 of 10,635
Some of the design decisions on Mojo 2 will dictate what Poly 2 might be like ... if there will be one

Jan 30, 2022 at 4:06 AM Post #1,265 of 10,635
1643533577582.png

Jan 30, 2022 at 4:29 AM Post #1,268 of 10,635
Some of the design decisions on Mojo 2 will dictate what Poly 2 might be like ... if there will be one
I don't think you will see a Poly 2 in the near future.
The Poly v3 firmware update includes this statement 'Preparation for further incoming updates – ensuring future-proofing.'.
To me that is a clear hint that Poly was being prepared for the new Mojo 2 functionalities.
There is no need to update the Poly hardware yet, just for Mojo 2.

Jan 30, 2022 at 4:37 AM Post #1,269 of 10,635
Pretty nifty rig. In this case, it's more of a StaJo (Stationary Joy). I don't see much portable use for 2 x 3.5 mm. I understand Chord has no interest in the technical aspects of balanced output, but it sure would be nice from the consumer standpoint to have options other than adapters.

I'm still very curious about the Mojo 2. If the sound is better than my Shanling M8, it could be a compelling break from DAP operating systems.
Weird, I get this, seems the release date/time is slipping already. :wink:

1643534472733.png
Hahaha programming error ? Taking the end user time zone

Jan 30, 2022 at 4:48 AM Post #1,270 of 10,635
Well, I'm 10:30 ahead of you over there in UK. However, right now I'm 4 hours away form 31st, meaning the Mojo is launched around mid day tomorrow my time? Is there a staggered launch or it is simply a web page design oversight? :D
In just another 5 hours you will be able to tell us all.
The display I see in France is indicating 11am, which would be 10am in UK.
I doubt the release is staggered, because that would make it more difficult logistically for Chord to control the flow of announcements from themselves and dealers.

Jan 30, 2022 at 4:57 AM Post #1,271 of 10,635
In just another 5 hours you will be able to tell us all.
The display I see in France is indicating 11am, which would be 10am in UK.
I doubt the release is staggered, because that would make it more difficult logistically for Chord to control the flow of announcements from themselves and dealers.

By the way, is Chord releasing more than just the Mojo2 tomorrow? Someone mentioned in the Hugo 2 thread the imminent release of an M Scaler thing for the Hugo 2...

Jan 30, 2022 at 5:05 AM Post #1,272 of 10,635
By the way, is Chord releasing more than just the Mojo2 tomorrow? Someone mentioned in the Hugo 2 thread the imminent release of an M Scaler thing for the Hugo 2...
Rob has posted that he has been working on a xMScaler scheduled for the end of 2022, but I don't remember any more clues.
I think there has been a lot of wishful thinking recently - several posters had convinced themselves the Mojo 2 would include a MScaler.
Still just another 24 hours, and we will know for sure about the Hugo 2.

Jan 30, 2022 at 5:42 AM Post #1,275 of 10,635
If you own Hugo2 will you still buy the Mojo2?

I'm trying to resist until I see real world reviews.

I went from OG Mojo to MojoPoly (didn't really have any Polo issues even as an early adopter) to Hugo 2 and then Hugo2Go

Loved the Hugo2Go sound over the MojoPoly so sold it and as I'm really out of the house these days, plus preferring convenience over wires when I am, I will probably not purchase and stick to Hugo2Go BUT... I've said that many a time and will no doubt lust one.

So if it offers anything different to Hugo2 other than form factor, then I might.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back