Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Apr 1, 2024 at 5:41 PM Post #10,262 of 10,598
how big is the gap between Mojo2 and Hugo?

Not big.

Hugo2 has more detail and is a little brighter tuning. Some say the bass is better. I would say the Hugo2 is maybe 10-15% "better".

I personally don't think it's 3-4x better for the price difference for new. You can probably score one used for significantly less.

I'd jump to the Hugo TT if you want a more tangible jump.

Apr 1, 2024 at 6:22 PM Post #10,263 of 10,598
Not big.

Hugo2 has more detail and is a little brighter tuning. Some say the bass is better. I would say the Hugo2 is maybe 10-15% "better".

I personally don't think it's 3-4x better for the price difference for new. You can probably score one used for significantly less.

I'd jump to the Hugo TT if you want a more tangible jump.
I'm a data point that disagrees, but it really is headphone-dependent.

Every now and then I try to use my Mojo 2 with my Utopia (original model), especially since I can apply a couple small EQ tweaks, but I can easily detect what I'm missing sound quality-wise compared to my Hugo 2 and it's distracting. The H2 sounds much more spacious, and it's nuances (and that the Utopia can pick up those nuances) translate to a realistic experience I don't quite get from the M2, as great as it is.

On the other hand, with my IE 900 IEM's, the two devices sound closer together, where I'd be more inclined to agree with you.

Apr 2, 2024 at 4:57 AM Post #10,264 of 10,598
Utopia and Mojo2 doesn't have the right synergy to me. Tried to love this portable combo and it doesn't click. On the other hand I enjoyed OG Mojo with Utopia much more, but lack of desktop mode was an annoyance.

Some folks say EQ will get M2 sound like M1, but I can't get there. Closest settings are a slight bump in bass & turn a crossfeed on, but it's still not M1 sound. Technically winner is M2, but enjoyment factor to me was with M1

Apr 2, 2024 at 10:51 AM Post #10,265 of 10,598
how big is the gap between Mojo2 and Hugo?
To my ears, the OG Hugo is still better with DD Headphones and IEMs. For the going price (around $500) on used market will be a great pick.

Apr 2, 2024 at 2:32 PM Post #10,266 of 10,598
Greetings, fellow Mojo2 enthusiasts!

I've recently welcomed a Mojo2 into my setup, pairing it with HD800S and IE600, and it's been an impressive experience thus far.

However, I'm encountering a slight hiccup with the USB-C connection.

Has anyone else noticed an issue where a 6.65mm USB-C plug doesn't fully engage with the port? The cable I'm using, originally provided with my iPad Pro, doesn't seem to sit securely due to its inability to completely insert. The depth of the port appears to be obstructed by the device's casing, causing any minor movement to disrupt the connection. I'm beginning to wonder if the port on my unit might be recessed more than it should be. Any insights or similar experiences?

Attached are photos for reference. I've covered the surface of the Mojo2 with plastic wrap as a precaution, in case a return or exchange is needed due to the USB-C port issue. Please refer to the first photo, where I've drawn an orange arrow to indicate the start of the metal port.

If you could compare the location and level of recess of your Mojo2's USB-C port with mine, I would greatly appreciate it.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2024 at 2:42 PM Post #10,267 of 10,598
Greetings, fellow Mojo2 enthusiasts!

I've recently welcomed a Mojo2 into my setup, pairing it with HD800S and IE600, and it's been an impressive experience thus far.

However, I'm encountering a slight hiccup with the USB-C connection.

Has anyone else noticed an issue where a 6.65mm USB-C plug doesn't fully engage with the port? The cable I'm using, originally provided with my iPad Pro, doesn't seem to sit securely due to its inability to completely insert. The depth of the port appears to be obstructed by the device's casing, causing any minor movement to disrupt the connection. I'm beginning to wonder if the port on my unit might be recessed more than it should be. Any insights or similar experiences?

Attached are photos for reference. I've covered the surface of the Mojo2 with plastic wrap as a precaution, in case a return or exchange is needed due to the USB-C port issue. Please refer to the first photo, where I've drawn an orange arrow to indicate the start of the metal port.

I use a thunderbolt 3 USB C cable without issue which has considerably larger profile than most. Are you sure you are pressing hard enough to attatch the cable? It should kinda click into place. Or, try another cable IIRC the mojo2 comes with a cable.

Apr 2, 2024 at 2:57 PM Post #10,269 of 10,598
I use a thunderbolt 3 USB C cable without issue which has considerably larger profile than most. Are you sure you are pressing hard enough to attatch the cable? It should kinda click into place. Or, try another cable IIRC the mojo2 comes with a cable.
The cable can not proceed further because it is obstructed by the black opening of the port, it is physically impossible. Mojo2 recognizes the connection, but the cable is not securely fit. My Mojo came with a micro B cable for charging only. I think sanding down the black opening would do the trick, but it will likely void the warranty.

Apr 2, 2024 at 3:01 PM Post #10,270 of 10,598
The cable can not proceed further because it is obstructed by the black opening of the port, it is physically impossible. Mojo2 recognizes the connection, but the cable is not securely fit. My Mojo came with a micro B cable for charging only. I think sanding down the black opening would do the trick, but it will likely void the warranty.
I'd try another USB C cable. And, I certainly wouldn't sand down a new Mojo2 when under warranty.

Apr 2, 2024 at 3:17 PM Post #10,271 of 10,598
Welcome to the club sir. How's the synergy between our beloved Mojo2 and the legendary hd800s? Do you feel that more power is needed?
While browsing this thread, I became curious about whether the Mojo2 could adequately drive HD800s. Consequently, I visited a store to compare the Mojo2 directly with a setup that includes both the Mojo2 and a McIntosh MHA200 amplifier, using its original tubes. My experience with tube amps is limited, as I do not own one, so this was a relatively new venture for me. In my listening session, I sensed a certain depth or 'massiveness' in the sound when using the tube amp. However, I couldn't definitively decide which setup I preferred. When listening to "Kashmir" performed by Marcin, it seemed to me that the tube amp unlocked more of the HD800s' potential, particularly in the bass. This experience helped me understand why some describe the sound as 'wet'.

Nevertheless, I also appreciated the clarity of the standalone Mojo2, which provided ample power for my listening needs. So far, this is more than I asked for. I'm using an Ireland-made HD800s, with a notable peak at 4k on the diffuse field, which might make my impressions slightly different from others. Previously, I used an ESS DAC/amp combo, which I found to be a bit too harsh, causing me some headaches, especially with the ie600. In contrast, the Mojo2 seemed to make everything sound more pleasant. I think the tube is something that can wait for a while, as I enjoy Mojo 2 on HD800s so far. I would invest in a good matching tube once I can comfortably afford one.

Apr 2, 2024 at 4:35 PM Post #10,272 of 10,598
While browsing this thread, I became curious about whether the Mojo2 could adequately drive HD800s. Consequently, I visited a store to compare the Mojo2 directly with a setup that includes both the Mojo2 and a McIntosh MHA200 amplifier, using its original tubes. My experience with tube amps is limited, as I do not own one, so this was a relatively new venture for me. In my listening session, I sensed a certain depth or 'massiveness' in the sound when using the tube amp. However, I couldn't definitively decide which setup I preferred. When listening to "Kashmir" performed by Marcin, it seemed to me that the tube amp unlocked more of the HD800s' potential, particularly in the bass. This experience helped me understand why some describe the sound as 'wet'.

Nevertheless, I also appreciated the clarity of the standalone Mojo2, which provided ample power for my listening needs. So far, this is more than I asked for. I'm using an Ireland-made HD800s, with a notable peak at 4k on the diffuse field, which might make my impressions slightly different from others. Previously, I used an ESS DAC/amp combo, which I found to be a bit too harsh, causing me some headaches, especially with the ie600. In contrast, the Mojo2 seemed to make everything sound more pleasant. I think the tube is something that can wait for a while, as I enjoy Mojo 2 on HD800s so far. I would invest in a good matching tube once I can comfortably afford one.
Welcome to Head Fi.
Pleased you enjoy the HD800S with the Mojo 2.
As you have found out adding valve amps can be nice.
Try a Schiit Vali 3 with a WE396A valve as a cheaper amp or for more lushness a Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse.

The 800s also pairs well with the TT2. As always just my opinion.

Apr 2, 2024 at 5:43 PM Post #10,273 of 10,598

ty very much for sharing your experience

Apr 3, 2024 at 4:48 AM Post #10,274 of 10,598
Does somebody have a link to a cable that works for Mojo2 for Iphone 14pro? I don't want to use the "camera adapter", but I heard the regular lightning to USB-C works, however the cable I got with the Iphone is not working.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back