Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Feb 12, 2024 at 1:16 AM Post #9,886 of 10,646
Even as someone who has extensive EQ profiles for all of my headphones across multiple devices, as well as multiple speaker EQ profiles for multiple rigs, I don't agree with this statement. "Optimal sound" is entirely subjective. I'd wager at least half of head-fi doesn't use EQ.
That'd be a very interesting poll...

Feb 12, 2024 at 5:31 AM Post #9,887 of 10,646
Even as someone who has extensive EQ profiles for all of my headphones across multiple devices, as well as multiple speaker EQ profiles for multiple rigs, I don't agree with this statement. "Optimal sound" is entirely subjective. I'd wager at least half of head-fi doesn't use EQ.

At least half of Head Fi seem to think you can EQ with DAPs, DACs, amplifiers and/or cables.

Feb 12, 2024 at 6:55 AM Post #9,888 of 10,646
At least half of Head Fi seem to think you can EQ with DAPs, DACs, amplifiers and/or cables.
That could become very expensive and convoluted if you are using several different headphones. EQ is a far more elegant and cost effective solution (imho).

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2024 at 8:26 AM Post #9,889 of 10,646
That could become very expensive and convoluted if you are using several different headphones. EQ is a far more elegant and cost effective solution (imho).
I disagree: Any EQ I tried takes away staging and transparency for my ears. I prefer cables and system synergies over any EQ. Try to get the purest sound knowing that a lot of recordings sound bad.

Feb 12, 2024 at 9:50 AM Post #9,890 of 10,646
It is very rare for a headphone to have good out-of-the box measured tonality (on a measurement rig) and good technical performance (leakage tolerance, response smoothness, reseat performance, distortion, etc.) The only headphone I can think of that probably meets this criteria is the Sennheiser HE-1, but even this could use more optimization to more closely match the Harman 2018 OE target. For example, the headphones I use, Audeze LCD-5, have poor tonality out of the box, but they have high technical performance, so they are a good candidate to EQ to the Harman 2018 OE target.
This is getting a bit afield of the Mojo 2, but... this all assumes that people like or want a Harman-like sound. Even the creators of the Harman target don't believe that everyone prefers the target. Many don't. Again, "optimal" is subjective. And different headphones respond differently to EQ tuning and have their own "optimal" curve. The Harman target is just a useful reference. Nothing more.
For any of head-fi user that does not use EQ, I guarantee with absolute certainty they will prefer some EQ in a blind listening test over their stock headphones.
That's pretty bold considering that even the individual preferences that went into creating the Harman curve did not agree with one another. Again, the target is just an average with a pretty wide standard deviation.
Also, I think the better question to ask is whether or not the lack of EQ use by at least half of head-fi comes from a place of ignorance or expertise.
Yeah, no. This is like saying, "Either you agree with me, or you're an idiot." We're talking about subjective preferences here. There is no universally "better" or "correct" tuning, just better for you.

Feb 12, 2024 at 10:39 AM Post #9,891 of 10,646
I disagree: Any EQ I tried takes away staging and transparency for my ears. I prefer cables and system synergies over any EQ. Try to get the purest sound knowing that a lot of recordings sound bad.
That's fair enough. For myself, the DSP options in Roon (or even a Mojo 2) are now stock requirements and a godsend for my headphone listening, less so for my Hifi system.

Feb 12, 2024 at 6:23 PM Post #9,894 of 10,646
That's pretty bold considering that even the individual preferences that went into creating the Harman curve did not agree with one another. Again, the target is just an average with a pretty wide standard deviation.
I never stated their preferred EQ has to be to the harman target.
Yeah, no. This is like saying, "Either you agree with me, or you're an idiot." We're talking about subjective preferences here. There is no universally "better" or "correct" tuning, just better for you.
The goal of the Harman target is to reproduce the sound of anechoically flat loudspeakers in a SRF with frequencies below schroeder eq'd to preference. Whether you like it or not is a different question, but it is currently the gold standard for reference accurate sound in headphones.

Feb 13, 2024 at 9:28 AM Post #9,895 of 10,646
I never stated their preferred EQ has to be to the harman target.
Then how do you propose that all of us "ignorant" people should be EQing our headphones?
The goal of the Harman target is to reproduce the sound of anechoically flat loudspeakers in a SRF with frequencies below schroeder eq'd to preference. Whether you like it or not is a different question, but it is currently the gold standard for reference accurate sound in headphones.
Again, no. The Harman (headphone) target has nothing to do with "accurate sound." It's an average preference curve. Nothing to do with "accuracy" whatsoever. And because it's an average, there is no such thing as a person whose preference aligns with the curve. I also think you're mixing up the loudspeaker target with the various headphone targets.

Also, let's leave this Harman and EQ discussion for another area of the forum than a Mojo 2 thread.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2024 at 10:00 AM Post #9,896 of 10,646
Again, no. The Harman (headphone) target has nothing to do with "accurate sound." It's an average preference curve. Nothing to do with "accuracy" whatsoever. And because it's an average, there is no such thing as a person whose preference aligns with the curve. I also think you're mixing up the loudspeaker target with the various headphone targets.
+1

Feb 13, 2024 at 11:14 AM Post #9,897 of 10,646
Then how do you propose that all of us "ignorant" people should be EQing our headphones?

Also, let's leave this Harman and EQ discussion for another area of the forum than a Mojo 2 thread.
listeners, on average, prefer flat on-axis (neutral) loudspeakers in double blind tests just like how they prefer the harman target.

Feb 13, 2024 at 5:01 PM Post #9,898 of 10,646
Forgive me as a newbie if I haven’t waded through 660 pages of this thread (and I’m assuming there isn’t a separate one for Poly). Here’s my history with it, I suspect others have had similar.

Using an up-to-date Apple iPhone 13 Pro max, neither of the two external products Chord recommend (given the circumstance of their failure to provide their own software solution, unacceptable in my view) - 8player pro or Mconnect lite - will find the Poly, even though they’re connected to the same network. The Mojo2 is excellent, but frankly I regret the day I bought the (not cheap) Poly - it drives me nuts every time I try to use it, even though I’m reasonably tech literate. A trawl of the Internet suggests I’m not alone in finding it an unacceptably frustrating device.

The Poly went back to Chord a year or so ago and they replaced a few bits, but it hasn’t fixed the problem, Can anyone point me in a useful direction, please?

Feb 13, 2024 at 7:10 PM Post #9,899 of 10,646
Forgive me as a newbie if I haven’t waded through 660 pages of this thread (and I’m assuming there isn’t a separate one for Poly). Here’s my history with it, I suspect others have had similar.

Using an up-to-date Apple iPhone 13 Pro max, neither of the two external products Chord recommend (given the circumstance of their failure to provide their own software solution, unacceptable in my view) - 8player pro or Mconnect lite - will find the Poly, even though they’re connected to the same network. The Mojo2 is excellent, but frankly I regret the day I bought the (not cheap) Poly - it drives me nuts every time I try to use it, even though I’m reasonably tech literate. A trawl of the Internet suggests I’m not alone in finding it an unacceptably frustrating device.

The Poly went back to Chord a year or so ago and they replaced a few bits, but it hasn’t fixed the problem, Can anyone point me in a useful direction, please?

1235 pages of problems and work arounds, I am glad I read up on the Poly rather than buying it just assuming it actually worked as might reasonably be expected.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cho...r-mojo-☆★►useful-info-on-1st-page-◄★☆.831347/

Feb 13, 2024 at 8:17 PM Post #9,900 of 10,646

So neither MConnect or 8Player will find the poly? By the same network do you mean hotspot or connected to your home WiFi? You are on the latest firmware?

You’ll need to provide more details if you want help. I bought the poly with the v1 software and found it lacking. I sold that one and bought the poly with v3 software a few years later. Totally different experience. So far no significant issues. Keep this in mind when you trawl the internet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back