Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Jan 16, 2022 at 10:44 AM Post #901 of 11,002
Jan 16, 2022 at 10:45 AM Post #902 of 11,002
Still no details or specs ?
But that would spoil the teaser campaign and one prefers to be teased rather than spoilt.

Jan 16, 2022 at 8:56 PM Post #910 of 11,002
No not really, well not in my experience anyway, others will argue yes it does.
DACs that are designed around dedicated chips, can employed double dac chips and then use their outputs to produce balanced output.
Since rechargeable devices run on li-ion batteries (either 3.6V it 7.2V), they can output double the voltage swing compared to SE operation, this means 4 times the power output.
Also certain even harmonic artifacts can cancel out bringing distortion down.
But if the dac engine (such as Chords ) is an SE by design, then to output in balanced mode would require a buffer - which will affect transparency .
so the answer is, An SE dac , used in native mode has best sound.
A balanced dac used in native mode has best sound.

BTW Those DACs that can employ two chips for balanced output, they can also use only one chip for SE output, this means much longer play time on same charge!

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2022 at 10:57 AM Post #912 of 11,002
All things equal the balance is better topology BUT this doesn't mean a balance is inherently better than any SE. For example, the mojo's SE output outperform several "balanced" amplifiers.
Why is balanced a better topology?
(In our case of headphone DAC/amps)

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2022 at 2:17 PM Post #915 of 11,002
Why is balanced a better topology?
(In our case of headphone DAC/amps)
Is not the amplifier topology that is better. Is the concept of using balanced circuit and chain throughout your devices. Is not always better as I said but all things equal a balanced configuration from source to amp output using balanced interconnects will provide lower noise and will be immune to RF induced noise from cables. Do I think a balanced configuration will make a “better” mojo? Not really. So balanced is good but not always necessary. If the Dac and amp were separate devices I would prefer a balanced topology to have flexibility with placement for example.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back