Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Sep 7, 2023 at 8:20 AM Post #8,881 of 11,001
Brand new Mojo 2 owner, on day 2 of owning. Day 1 I listened with just my iPhone and iPad via Lightning OTG and USB C. Everything was working and sounded great. Day 2, today, my Poly arrived. Configured it and was using it all afternoon. Working great. Tonight, I was listening via Airplay to the Poly, and out of nowhere I started to hear a faint static from the right channel. I tried all the troubleshooting I could think of, but it keeps doing it. It's a faint static like noise that comes and goes every few seconds and only in the right channel. What really surprised and frustrated me, is that the noise remains even with no data or power connected to the Mojo. Just the Mojo alone, powered up, my headphones/IEMs connected, nothing playing, and a faint on and off static noise coming from the right channel.

I've already emailed Chord and am waiting to hear back. I wanted to post here as well to see if anyone has had the static issues occur then remain with nothing plugged in. I'm also curious if anyone has any other troubleshooting ideas. Below are all the things I've tried so far.
  • Powered the combo down, waited several minutes, then powered it up. The static remained even before connecting to Airplay or playing anything.
  • Powered everything down, disconnected the Poly, reconnected it, then powered it up. Again, static remains.
  • Powered everything down, disconnected the Poly, connected the Mojo to my iPhone via an OTG cable. Static remains, again without even playing anything.
  • Powered everything down, connected nothing to the Mojo except my headphones (that is no Poly and no data or power connection at all). Static remains.
  • Tried different headphones/IEMs, each of which also has different a different cable. Static remains across every headphone, only in the right channel.
  • Tried each headphone port on the Mojo. Static in both.
  • Firmware updated the Poly to 3.2 (it was on 3.0 when this first happened). Static remains.
  • Attempted to play different sample rate music via USB C so that the unit was switching between sample rates (44.1, 48, 96, 192). No change to the static.
  • Disabled cellular on my phone. Static remains.
  • Brought the Mojo away from any other cellular or Wi-Fi devices, connected only to headphones (no data/power connection and nothing playing). Static remains.
The static noise is consistent regardless of volume changes or muting the Mojo. So disappointed because it sounded so good :frowning2:
Be very careful what you plug into that Mojo 2. My first Mojo 2 did a similar thing before it burnt out an IEM, luckly it was only a cheap (£80) that I could afford to lose.

The Mojo 2 was replaced but I didn't bother to push Chord for the cost of the IEM.

Sep 7, 2023 at 8:36 AM Post #8,882 of 11,001

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230907-133535_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20230907-133535_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    542.9 KB · Views: 0
Sep 7, 2023 at 10:00 AM Post #8,891 of 11,001
Brand new Mojo 2 owner, on day 2 of owning. Day 1 I listened with just my iPhone and iPad via Lightning OTG and USB C. Everything was working and sounded great. Day 2, today, my Poly arrived. Configured it and was using it all afternoon. Working great. Tonight, I was listening via Airplay to the Poly, and out of nowhere I started to hear a faint static from the right channel. I tried all the troubleshooting I could think of, but it keeps doing it. It's a faint static like noise that comes and goes every few seconds and only in the right channel. What really surprised and frustrated me, is that the noise remains even with no data or power connected to the Mojo. Just the Mojo alone, powered up, my headphones/IEMs connected, nothing playing, and a faint on and off static noise coming from the right channel.

I've already emailed Chord and am waiting to hear back. I wanted to post here as well to see if anyone has had the static issues occur then remain with nothing plugged in. I'm also curious if anyone has any other troubleshooting ideas. Below are all the things I've tried so far.
  • Powered the combo down, waited several minutes, then powered it up. The static remained even before connecting to Airplay or playing anything.
  • Powered everything down, disconnected the Poly, reconnected it, then powered it up. Again, static remains.
  • Powered everything down, disconnected the Poly, connected the Mojo to my iPhone via an OTG cable. Static remains, again without even playing anything.
  • Powered everything down, connected nothing to the Mojo except my headphones (that is no Poly and no data or power connection at all). Static remains.
  • Tried different headphones/IEMs, each of which also has different a different cable. Static remains across every headphone, only in the right channel.
  • Tried each headphone port on the Mojo. Static in both.
  • Firmware updated the Poly to 3.2 (it was on 3.0 when this first happened). Static remains.
  • Attempted to play different sample rate music via USB C so that the unit was switching between sample rates (44.1, 48, 96, 192). No change to the static.
  • Disabled cellular on my phone. Static remains.
  • Brought the Mojo away from any other cellular or Wi-Fi devices, connected only to headphones (no data/power connection and nothing playing). Static remains.
The static noise is consistent regardless of volume changes or muting the Mojo. So disappointed because it sounded so good :frowning2:

Chord's response was that it likely developed a fault, and would need to be returned to the dealer. Back to Amazon (Gramophone) it goes and had to order a replacement.

Sep 7, 2023 at 10:33 AM Post #8,892 of 11,001
I am sure the answer is no.
You are in the UK so 240V * 1.5A = 360W.
No phone charger needs to draw that much power from the mains!
That would be continuous power, it could be that they stamp the peak current on the ratings plate. As far as I can see that charger is rated at 45W, but is that @ 12v? Its unlikely to support more than 15W @ 5v.

Sep 7, 2023 at 11:47 AM Post #8,893 of 11,001
Are you sure that isn't 1.5A max on the input (mains) side?
That would make it 300W and that is not big enough to be a 300W charger…

Edit: I see I was late to the game.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2023 at 12:15 PM Post #8,895 of 11,001
That would be continuous power, it could be that they stamp the peak current on the ratings plate. As far as I can see that charger is rated at 45W, but is that @ 12v? Its unlikely to support more than 15W @ 5v.
No manufacturer would design a charger that would take 300+W from the mains and only deliver 45W to the devices being charged.
The charger would be dissipating 250+W of heat, and need expensive heat sinks and more expensive electronics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back