Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
May 23, 2023 at 11:20 AM Post #8,222 of 10,855
Folks, I am a bit confused really.

I have my Mojo2 plugged in all the time as a dac to my integrated amp 24/7 and while playing through the nights as well. Is there anything wrong with that? I thought that's what the intelligent mode is for?
It's exactly what it's for, the intelligent mode,and I do the same, don't get confused by posts suggesting battery management they think is best

May 23, 2023 at 5:25 PM Post #8,223 of 10,855
It's exactly what it's for, the intelligent mode,and I do the same, don't get confused by posts suggesting battery management they think is best

That is perfectly fair but do remember that despite a desktop mode feature it still is a battery powered device and batteries don't last forever and I suspect that nobody knows exactly what use scenario will result in the absolute best overall batter health long term.

It might be that the advice that you are criticising is in fact the best way to manage the battery long term if you are after the nth degree of long term battery health.

I am not a battery expert by any stretch but having a battery sitting on trickle charge permanently and never cycled fully at all certainly doesn't seem like a path to a nicely functioning battery after several years. Just because the Mojo 2 has a feature that allows that and manages that use case better than the original Mojo doesn't by default mean it is the single best method for long term batter management. Unplugging it once a week and letting it run down to 20% or so might in fact be beneficial.

I have a couple of other devices with desktop modes but I don't use them because it doesn't suit my use case and because my experience with batteries is that the devices that are used frequently and cycled fully have lasted the best for me.

Perhaps somebody that actually understands batteries could comment, the rest is just speculation.

Last edited:
May 23, 2023 at 9:16 PM Post #8,224 of 10,855
Folks, I am a bit confused really.

I have my Mojo2 plugged in all the time as a dac to my integrated amp 24/7 and while playing through the nights as well. Is there anything wrong with that? I thought that's what the intelligent mode is for?
Yes, the intelligent mode is designed for that use-case, the term "charge and play at the same time" means that when M2 has not entered the mode, for example, M2 is in 0% battery, you plugged in and start playing, it is the case "charge and play at the same time", but if you wait for M2 entering the intelligent mode, it is totally different.
In conclusion, if the battery indicator is not purple and M2 is plugged, if you turn on and play at that time, it is "charge and play at the same time", it is not the same as the case that the battery indicator is purple (intelligent desktop mode).

May 23, 2023 at 9:19 PM Post #8,225 of 10,855
Yes, the intelligent mode is designed for that use-case, the term "charge and play at the same time" means that when M2 has not entered the mode, for example, M2 is in 0% battery, you plugged in and start playing, it is the case "charge and play at the same time", but if you wait for M2 entering the intelligent mode, it is totally different.
In conclusion, if the battery indicator is not purple and M2 is plugged, if you turn on and play at that time, it is "charge and play at the same time", it is not the same as the case that the battery indicator is purple (intelligent desktop mode).
Actually when I plug in and play through the night, the mojo 2 is indeed in intelligent mode (with purple light)

May 23, 2023 at 9:22 PM Post #8,226 of 10,855
Actually when I plug in and play through the night, the mojo 2 is indeed in intelligent mode (with purple light)
sure, so do not worry about it, M2 is already in the intelligent desktop mode and draws power directly from your charger

May 24, 2023 at 12:19 AM Post #8,227 of 10,855
That is perfectly fair but do remember that despite a desktop mode feature it still is a battery powered device and batteries don't last forever and I suspect that nobody knows exactly what use scenario will result in the absolute best overall batter health long term.

It might be that the advice that you are criticising is in fact the best way to manage the battery long term if you are after the nth degree of long term battery health.

I am not a battery expert by any stretch but having a battery sitting on trickle charge permanently and never cycled fully at all certainly doesn't seem like a path to a nicely functioning battery after several years. Just because the Mojo 2 has a feature that allows that and manages that use case better than the original Mojo doesn't by default mean it is the single best method for long term batter management. Unplugging it once a week and letting it run down to 20% or so might in fact be beneficial.

I have a couple of other devices with desktop modes but I don't use them because it doesn't suit my use case and because my experience with batteries is that the devices that are used frequently and cycled fully have lasted the best for me.

Perhaps somebody that actually understands batteries could comment, the rest is just speculation.
Exactly, that's all I've ever said, there is speculation around battery management and applying arbitrary techniques, like we do with phones, to try and protect the Mojo battery. These may work , I've no idea, but none of them are in the manual. We have a developed intelligent mode which some owners don't seem to trust.

May 24, 2023 at 12:34 AM Post #8,228 of 10,855
Exactly, that's all I've ever said, there is speculation around battery management and applying arbitrary techniques, like we do with phones, to try and protect the Mojo battery. These may work , I've no idea, but none of them are in the manual. We have a developed intelligent mode which some owners don't seem to trust.

Perhaps they are technically right not to trust it if utmost battery health and long term life is the aim.

That is all I was suggesting.

Neither you, I or the other chap that you essentially referred to know for a fact what is best for utmost battery life and I don't see any value in blindly regurgitating the notion that a built in desktop mode is best just because it is a built in function and the manual doesn't say otherwise.

That is why I asked if anybody actually knows what is typically best for batteries, otherwise we are all just wasting bandwidth.

May 24, 2023 at 12:39 AM Post #8,229 of 10,855
Perhaps they are technically right not to trust it if utmost battery health and long term life is the aim.

That is all I was suggesting.

Neither you, I or the other chap that you essentially referred to know for a fact what is best for utmost battery life and I don't see any value in blindly regurgitating the notion that a built in desktop mode is best just because it is a built in function and the manual doesn't say otherwise.

That is why I asked if anybody actually knows what is typically best for batteries, otherwise we are all just wasting bandwidth.
Well not really, people come here for help and advice, and allowing things to go unchallenged isn't balance, at least now they can see both views. I've also never said intelligent mode is best , I've just asked for what evidence there is that it isn't. And I don't refer to that guy, there are many many comments along the same lines. But, whatever, I'll use intelligent mode , others can fiddle with recycling etc, ymmv

May 24, 2023 at 12:47 AM Post #8,230 of 10,855
................ allowing things to go unchallenged isn't balance ...............

Correct, that is why, along with the other chap, I challenged the notion that, despite that you didn't say it, desktop mode might not be best for utmost long term battery health.

It might be, it might not be ..... does anybody know about batteries from a deeper technical perspective and can offer some technical insight ?

May 24, 2023 at 2:31 AM Post #8,232 of 10,855
What do you guys think, which is the better option? A Topping HS02 USB filter, or an SMSL PO100 Pro Optical converter for the Mojo?
Have not tried but I have a plan to buy SMSL PO100 pro for desktop use.

May 24, 2023 at 5:43 AM Post #8,235 of 10,855
Vodafone is turning off the UK 3G network in June. That means no more interference when the mojo is connected to the mobile via a usb cable

Attachments

• IMG_2791.jpeg
    IMG_2791.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back