Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
May 18, 2023 at 6:26 AM Post #8,191 of 11,004
Any headphone amp will add a different flavor to the sound. Some amps will add less flavor; some more.
???!!!
Flavor? as in distortion?
You do realize that any changes to the sound by an amplifier is called Distortion, whether you like it or not!
Hi-fidelity means, no flavours.
Mojo2 has plenty of power to drive the headphones in question, has less noise, distortion etc. There is no valid reason to use an additional amp in this case.

May 18, 2023 at 6:32 AM Post #8,192 of 11,004
???!!!
You do realize that any changes to the sound by an amplifier is called Distortion, whether you like it or not!
Mojo2 has plenty of power to drive the headphones in question, has less noise, distortion etc. There is no valid reason to use an additional amp in this case.
There is a valid reason, if he prefers the way it sounds.

Doesn't get more valid.

Last edited:
May 18, 2023 at 10:16 AM Post #8,194 of 11,004
???!!!
Yes, as in distortion. For my personal listening, I prefer the "hi-fidelity" approach you advocate.

However, what I think is right for my personal listening is not always right for everyone else. Listening is a very personal experience. One of the reasons there are so many different headphones. Some want response that is perfectly flat, some prefer tonal emphasis.

Said another way, Beauty is in the eye of the holder.

May 18, 2023 at 10:39 AM Post #8,195 of 11,004
Yes, as in distortion. For my personal listening, I prefer the "hi-fidelity" approach you advocate.

However, what I think is right for my personal listening is not always right for everyone else. Listening is a very personal experience. One of the reasons there are so many different headphones. Some want response that is perfectly flat, some prefer tonal emphasis.

Said another way, Beauty is in the eye of the holder.
That's what I was trying to say :L3000:

May 18, 2023 at 11:17 AM Post #8,196 of 11,004
However, what I think is right for my personal listening is not always right for everyone else. Listening is a very personal experience.
True enough
One of the reasons there are so many different headphones. Some want response that is perfectly flat, some prefer tonal emphasis.
Here I disagree! Transducers are never perfect, such a thing does not exist, so when it comes to transducers, the quality of sound is always personal and subjective.
But Amplifiers, DACs?? do and should aspire to be perfect! with as low a distortion and noise as possible, and it is possible!
To deliberately use an amp as a tuning device is not logical. It may suit one genre of music, and for the rest . . . . well !!

May 18, 2023 at 2:22 PM Post #8,197 of 11,004
???!!!
I have half a dozen headphone amplifiers and they all sound different. Distortion is not the only variable involved. Some are warmer, some are leaner, some have more authority in the bass, some have a wider soundstage, some have higher output impedance to accommodate specific headphones, etc.
Different flavors? Definitely.
Different tonal balances at least.

Last edited:
May 18, 2023 at 2:36 PM Post #8,198 of 11,004
I have half a dozen headphone amplifiers and they all sound different. Distortion is not the only variable involved. Some are warmer, some have more authority in the bass, some have a wider soundstage, some have higher output impedance to accommodate specific headphones, etc.
Different flavors? Definitely.
Different tonal balances at least.
definition of distortion is anything added or missing from original.
does not have to be harmonic .

May 18, 2023 at 3:01 PM Post #8,199 of 11,004
To deliberately use an amp as a tuning device is not logical. It may suit one genre of music, and for the rest . . . . well !!

I personally agree but there are massive swaths of people on Head Fi that talk about exactly this premise every day in all manner if forums, even right here in this one.

There are huge parts if the audio industry built around the premise of using equipment and cables as EQ.

May 18, 2023 at 11:41 PM Post #8,200 of 11,004
True enough

Here I disagree! Transducers are never perfect, such a thing does not exist, so when it comes to transducers, the quality of sound is always personal and subjective.
But Amplifiers, DACs?? do and should aspire to be perfect! with as low a distortion and noise as possible, and it is possible!
So according to your conception, tube amps have no reason to exist? if an amplifier does not have a SINAD worthy of ASR, does it mean that it should be thrown away and bought only Topping?

May 19, 2023 at 2:22 AM Post #8,201 of 11,004
So according to your conception, tube amps have no reason to exist? if an amplifier does not have a SINAD worthy of ASR, does it mean that it should be thrown away and bought only Topping?
Let's review; what kentajalli is saying is that an amp should not be used as a tuning device for headphones. I feel this is too generalized a statement. Take the T1 for example, it is a lean and crystal clear headphone with 600 ohm impedance. 'Of course' i will be selective and discriminating with my amp choice in order to bring out the best of the T1 and i would not pair it with a lean SS amplifier (regardless of distortion specs), instead i would pair it with an OTL tube amp to achieve best synergy. Right or wrong that is a 'tuning' choice.

Last edited:
May 19, 2023 at 4:27 AM Post #8,202 of 11,004
Let's review; what kentajalli is saying is that an amp should not be used as a tuning device for headphones. I feel this is too generalized a statement. Take the T1 for example, it is a lean and crystal clear headphone with 600 ohm impedance. 'Of course' i will be selective and discriminating with my amp choice in order to bring out the best of the T1 and i would not pair it with a lean SS amplifier (regardless of distortion specs), instead i would pair it with an OTL tube amp to achieve best synergy. Right or wrong that is a 'tuning' choice.
Of course yes and I agree with you

May 19, 2023 at 4:48 AM Post #8,203 of 11,004
after a few months of heavy and portable use, i can say that for me, Mojo2+Audeze LCD-XC are the best combination i ever tried.

I have a blast moving the combination from work to home (and i go by bicycle) and using in my living room, bed, work...

The sound quality is impressive (after a few adjustments in mojo2 EQ). The headphones simple do not "distort".

May 19, 2023 at 6:09 AM Post #8,204 of 11,004
Now you are fishing! :xf_wink:
What has ASR or SINAD have anything to do with this discussion?
Any decent amp, be it Valve or SS will do, for as long as it is up to the task (low distortion/noise, adequate output drive capability, flat frequency response).
Not all amps are up to the task, for any headphone, though. some amps do not have enough juice for inefficient headphones, some have too much noise for very sensitive IEMs, so care should be taken there.
But to choose an amp, because it sounds bright to counter dull headphones, is like using a butter knife as a screwdriver! I bet any amp, that has a bright or dull sound, is badly engineered, and the flaws don't end there. They most probably, are distortion boxes too.
A properly engineered device (of any kind), will not have an issue with tonality, which is such an obvious flaw.
You want to EQ, use an equaliser, not an amp with substandard tonality.
Valve, SS, OTL all are good, if properly designed and made.
As an OTL designer and DIYer, I can assure you, a valve OTL amp sounds just as bright (or dull) as any other amp.
Valve amplification sounding warm, is a myth! bad ones do, good ones are indistinguishable from any good SS amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back