Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Jan 12, 2023 at 7:49 AM Post #6,407 of 10,546
I've noticed something every time I'm listening to the Mojo 2 and I'm not sure if it's my brain adjusting to the sound or if it's the Mojo 2 but for the first few minutes of listening, I notice some minor harshness in the sound and after more than 5-10 mins of listening this goes away and everything sounds smooth and good. Does any one else notice this phenomenon?
I just got my first Mojo2 two days ago. It’s my first introduction to Chord products and I have not no noticed this harshness.

Jan 12, 2023 at 11:59 AM Post #6,408 of 10,546
I think the x7 has coax/opt out and you can download UAPP and streaming apps

My FiiO X7ii definitely has optical (and coaxial) outputs... I don't believe the original X7 had optical.

Jan 12, 2023 at 12:13 PM Post #6,409 of 10,546
Anyone feeding USB from Laptop/PC to Mojo/Mojo2 should look into something like Douk Audio u2 and use optical input on Mojo. I totally forgot what this DAC is capable of and found myself mainly listening through Shanling m6 pro DAP, till Douk cheap converter arrived. Staging goes up a notch, while my DAP in comparison has no depth. I'm mainly experienced with Chord DAC's and even Qutest suffers from Macbooks USB input.

Might be a bit too big of a stack for portable use, but well worth for my case
Thanks for sharing!

I just bought the cheaper version of that USB interface. I'll compare its sound quality with the Mojo 2 VS the same Mojo w/ a Wiim Mini Streamer. Both will connect to the Mojo via optical cable.

I considered MiniDSP's interface, but they were charging $30 shipping, totaling $160. Not worth it for me.

Jan 12, 2023 at 1:26 PM Post #6,410 of 10,546
Since there is a few comments about optical and DAPs that can do it. For what it is worth I used the coaxial out of my Fiio M11 Plus into my original Mojo. The later Fiio DAPs seem to have dropped the optical output option.

Yesterday I streamed all day while working, shutting the screen off when not interacting with the M11, and used only 15% of the full battery. That is probably half of what USB would use.

Being a “dumb” connection coaxial uses significantly less battery than USB.

Connecting to ifI Gryphon or Diablo (Gryphon in particular) the difference is even greater, I assume because they do a lot of back and forth communication over USB sorting out volume levels, music file data etc while coaxial is a one way data transfer only.

I prefer the coaxial if only for the battery life and simplicity, there is no interaction between the M11 and receiving device, plug it in and go, the volume is always right, the data rates are always right and it sounds at least as good.

I use a custom Moon Audio cable.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2023 at 1:45 PM Post #6,411 of 10,546
Since there is a few comments about optical snd DAPs that can do it. For what it is worth I used the coaxial out of my Fiio M11 Plus into my original Mojo. The later Fiio DAPs seem to have dropped the optical output option.

Yesterday I streamed all day while working, shutting the screen off when not interacting with the M11, and used only 15% of the full battery. That is probably half of what USB would use.

Being a “dumb” connection coaxial uses significantly less battery than USB.

Connecting to ifI Gryphon or Diablo (Gryphon in particular) the difference is even greater, I assume because they do a lot of back and forth communication over USB sorting out volume levels, music file data etc while coaxial is a one way data transfer only.

I prefer the coaxial if only for the battery life and simplicity, there is no interaction between the M11 and receiving device, plug it in and go, the volume is always right, the data rates are always right and it sounds at least as good.

I use a custom Moon Audio cable.
I have the mojo2 and the fiio m11 (regular). is it possible to connect the spdif out on the fiio to the optical in on the mojo2 ? if so, what cable do i need?

Jan 12, 2023 at 1:46 PM Post #6,412 of 10,546
I have the mojo2 and the fiio m11 (regular). is it possible to connect the spdif out on the fiio to the optical in on the mojo2 ? if so, what cable do i need?

Why not use the coax in?

Jan 12, 2023 at 2:04 PM Post #6,413 of 10,546

I don’t know if your M11 supports optical out.

If it does you just need a optical mini 3.5mm plug at one end for the M11 and a full size optical at the other for the Mojo.

Jan 12, 2023 at 2:28 PM Post #6,414 of 10,546
I don’t know if your M11 supports optical out.

If it does you just need a optical mini 3.5mm plug at one end for the M11 and a full size optical at the other for the Mojo.

The original M11 does not support optical out, only coax. It's the same for the newer models as well.

Jan 12, 2023 at 2:45 PM Post #6,415 of 10,546
Why not use the coax in?
Hi, im totally in the dark here. Fiio spdif out to mojo2 coax in?

if so, can you point me towards a suitable cable?

Jan 12, 2023 at 2:46 PM Post #6,416 of 10,546
The original M11 does not support optical out, only coax. It's the same for the newer models as well.
my M11 has spdif out, a format i am new to.

Jan 12, 2023 at 3:21 PM Post #6,417 of 10,546

The attached image is a custom Moon Audio Fiio specific 4 pole coaxial out to a standard 2 pole coaxial in for the Mojo end.

This is the most simple way to do it but probably the most complex in understanding what you need any why.

The 2 pole is the standard small device coaxial in. The 4 pole in my case is specific to Fiio and I think one or two other brands, it actually only uses 2 of the 4 terminals available as coaxial is a simple 2 wire signal and ground connection.

Go back to pages 423 to 425 and there is some discussion about it. The same thing can be achieved with a simple cable and adapters, your M11 should have come with a Fiio specific adapter to full size coaxial. You can plug that into the M11 then into a commonly available RCA to RCA 75 ohm coaxial cable and put a 1 x RCA to 3.5mm 2 pole adapter on the Mojo end. You could try that out and see if it suits your needs and buy a more specific cable if you want.

It is very simple in practice but a bit of a minefield to get your head around initially. The issue all coming from the non standard implementation at the source DAP end.

You will see all sorts of 3.5mm and RCA coaxial cables on line, they are not all created equal. Some will have 2 pole 3.5mm, some will have 3 and some will have 4, some are receiving ends and some are sending ends !!

The Mojo only can accept the standard 2 pole, the other end you need a Fiio specific 4 pole ..... or a standard RCA to RCA 75 ohm coaxial cable with adapters at each end, the M11 end adapter should have come with the M11.

If you use the image as a guide to what you finally need you will get a better handle on what I am on about above.

Mojo end on the left ................... Fiio M11 end on the right.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2023 at 3:28 PM Post #6,418 of 10,546
Thanks for your extensive post. I think I understand.

Would any of these options have any audible advantage over my current setup, connecting the M11 to the Mojo2 via the usbc cable?

Jan 12, 2023 at 3:40 PM Post #6,419 of 10,546
Thanks for your extensive post. I think I understand.

Would any of these options have any audible advantage over my current setup, connecting the M11 to the Mojo2 via the usbc cable?

Some would say yes, I don't hear anything different, I did it out of interest but that isn't a cheap cable and if there isn't a problem with USB you are trying to solve I frankly wouldn't bother.

Jan 12, 2023 at 3:50 PM Post #6,420 of 10,546
Some would say yes, I don't hear anything different, I did it out of interest but that isn't a cheap cable and if there isn't a problem with USB you are trying to solve I frankly wouldn't bother.
Thanks for your kind help & honest opinion. I will continue as I am.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back