Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Nov 6, 2021 at 6:58 AM Post #601 of 10,527
I don't get why people are so upset about the micro usb for backwards compatibility. It's not harming anyone by being there, especially if there is a usb c plug right next to it. It is just giving people flexibility.
I concur. We see this all the time in the audio world and outside of it. As an example, my HP laptop has both a USB-C port and a dock port next to it so that I can choose if I want to use a USB-C dock or a traditional docking station. I think that choice is what we, as private users (I really hate the concept behind the word "consumers", just to be clear), should look for and cherish. Even then, this is all speculation, so we can only hope that there will be backwards compatibility and a USB-C port.

Nov 6, 2021 at 7:23 AM Post #603 of 10,527
As long as I can use my Poly and I don't have to buy a new one, Im okay.
As long as it is no better than my current Mojo and I don't have to buy a new one, Im okay. :relaxed:
That's not how Chord (any manufacturer) plays the game, au contraire!

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2021 at 7:38 AM Post #604 of 10,527
I've not spent much time with any Mojo, however I can appreciate it would be a significant SQ upgrade over SR25.

However, the SR25 delivers so many additional features that Mojo doesn't have which makes it much better standalone music player. Actually, those features make it a standalone music player, forget about 'better'. It's not even close :)

Streaming services are essential to my music listening on the go, so I if I had a Mojo, I would also have to get a Poly, and also carry around my phone. So a price comparison between the SR25 and Mojo is completely meaningless considering the ecosystem of extra gear you need with Mojo, let alone pocket space. Really, it's difficult to see the 2 as competitors at all.

All that said, I am very keen to see what comes next with Mojo2. Around the time I bought the SR25 I did consider a Mojo, but even at the time when I looked at it last year, it seemed very old in its product lifecycle so I passed.

Depending how good/great Mojo2 improvements are I might get one just because. BUT if it doesn't have any native way to stream to it, eg BT, then I'll probably just get a better A&K or maybe DX300.

I completely agree that DAPs have functionality over Mojo. ....... (Sorry long post ahead. Just found you post interesting so felt compelled to reply.)

Three yeas ago I bought a Sony ZX300, and this was in full light that the Poly was released. There were too many Poly problems though. Plus I did not want to use Mojo with a file source in a pocket. I feared putting pressure on either Mojo or source connections, and damaging either or both units. People have been inventive though and created 3D printed cases for Mojo and source.)

About two weeks ago I bought the A&K SR25. This was due to the impression that the SR25 would be significantly better than the sony ZX300. To be honest though, the functionality of the SR25 is not up to my needs. It doesn't lock the '''back/play-pause/forward''' buttons. It also splits up albums that have guest artists. Any track with a guest artist is listed separately under that guest artist, away from the main album. This has put me off A&K now. Although of course we don't need all our music on our DAPs. I could delete albums that get split up.

I am thinking again about the Chord Poly though. However my problems with the Poly are two-fold.

• First, I get the impression Poly is still not perfect.
  • Secondly, carrying the Mojo/Poly in a case in a pocket has issues. Again I would be afraid of straining the connection between the two modules. Using the Mojo/Poly case has another issue though. I had my Mojo in the genuine Mojo case for some time. While it made the Mojo feel secure and safe even for just about the home. It also made the Mojo run quite a bit warmer. That's not good for lithium batteries. In fact I lost some of my Hugo 2 battery life, 'I think' down to running it in a case. I had been running my Hugo 2 through summer in its original Hugo 2 case. One day I took it out just to see how hot it was. It was worryingly hot. That's just from playing music from battery power.

Hence the idea of playing Mojo/Poly in a case is not encouraging. (I suppose however I could drill ventialtion into my Chord cases.)

The Mojo is leagues ahead in sound though. There are many more layers of detail to the sounds. The Mojo is considerably more dynamic, accurate, clearer, sounds stop and starts incredibly, and sound edges are clearly more defined. Mojo is way more musical. It not even a two horse race between Mojo and either of my DAPs.

Also I find the Mojo pairs excellently with my AKG N40 (discontinued). (I have other earphones too.) The synergy is top notch like they were made for each other. Considering AKG N40 dropped to £160, it's a no-brainer pairing. Clearly though better earphones will do more. It makes Mojo a good value propostion.

For portability though DAPs win out every time. The beauty is that DAPs sound OK for portable work.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2021 at 7:39 AM Post #605 of 10,527
I concur. We see this all the time in the audio world and outside of it. As an example, my HP laptop has both a USB-C port and a dock port next to it so that I can choose if I want to use a USB-C dock or a traditional docking station. I think that choice is what we, as private users (I really hate the concept behind the word "consumers", just to be clear), should look for and cherish. Even then, this is all speculation, so we can only hope that there will be backwards compatibility and a USB-C port.
Aha!
Cosider these:
- every new socket adds weight to an already 'on the heavy side' mojo.
- every new socket and the accompanying circuit adds to manufacturing costs.
I would guess every penny that goes into manufacturing side will costs us 'consumers' many dollars more. It is not unheard of that manufacturers try to shave off fractions of cents on manufacturing costs.
- every new 'Choice' polarizes the customers, some would love it, some would not, claiming "I never use this, why am I paying for it?!"
I am one of them, for me just a USB input and one output is sufficient. I bought my Mojo for 'on the move' and sound quality alone.
- On a portable device, size, weight, the famous 'milliwatt budget' are very important, one can not just add things to give more choice to few.
my 2 pennies.

Nov 6, 2021 at 7:51 AM Post #606 of 10,527
I own an M Scaler. I don't use it with my Hugo 2 because I have a TT2. No way I would use it with Mojo.
Exactly. I do not understand why Chord would think people would want this, unless they created of a cheaper, mini M-scaler (which we’ve already agreed isn’t coming) or delivered a huge price drop on existing M-scaler (seems highly unlikely).
What if HMS+Mojo 2 is better than TT2 on its own :sunglasses:

You can still use M-Scaler with Mojo, but you can only upscale to 384MHz. Or use only half of the Mscaler taps. ... Unless I got it wrong, but sure I read that.

Rob Watts said somethig like the following. "Using half the M-Scaler taps is OK, but the real magic happens in the second half-million taps". ......... This comment was in relation to using M-Scaler with other brand DACs that 384KHz input.

M-Scaler with Mojo has certainly been discussed though. Honestly why not e.g. if your Hugo 2 battery is flat.

Mojo is a great DAC. You should hear Mojo with Shure KSE 1200. (KSE 1200 sound signature is neutral - no bass or treble leaning. It's also rich sounding meaning definitely not lean sounding, with the ability to reveal truly mind-bending levels of detail.)

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2021 at 11:15 PM Post #607 of 10,527
I completely agree that DAPs have functionality over Mojo. ....... (Sorry long post ahead. Just found you post interesting so felt compelled to reply.)

Three yeas ago I bought a Sony ZX300, and this was in full light that the Poly was released. There were too many Poly problems though. Plus I did not want to use Mojo with a file source in a pocket. I feared putting pressure on either Mojo or source connections, and damaging either or both units. People have been inventive though and created 3D printed cases for Mojo and source.)

About two weeks ago I bought the A&K SR25. This was due to the impression that the SR25 would be significantly better than the sony ZX300. To be honest though, the functionality of the SR25 is not up to my needs. It doesn't lock the '''back/play-pause/forward''' buttons. It also splits up albums that have guest artists. Any track with a guest artist is listed separately under that guest artist, away from the main album. This has put me off A&K now. Although of course we don't need all our music on our DAPs. I could delete albums that get split up.

I am thinking again about the Chord Poly though. However my problems with the Poly are two-fold.

• First, I get the impression Poly is still not perfect.
  • Secondly, carrying the Mojo/Poly in a case in a pocket has issues. Again I would be afraid of straining the connection between the two modules. Using the Mojo/Poly case has another issue though. I had my Mojo in the genuine Mojo case for some time. While it made the Mojo feel secure and safe even for just about the home. It also made the Mojo run quite a bit warmer. That's not good for lithium batteries. In fact I lost some of my Hugo 2 battery life, 'I think' down to running it in a case. I had been running my Hugo 2 through summer in its original Hugo 2 case. One day I took it out just to see how hot it was. It was worryingly hot. That's just from playing music from battery power.

Hence the idea of playing Mojo/Poly in a case is not encouraging. (I suppose however I could drill ventialtion into my Chord cases.)

The Mojo is leagues ahead in sound though. There are many more layers of detail to the sounds. The Mojo is considerably more dynamic, accurate, clearer, sounds stop and starts incredibly, and sound edges are clearly more defined. Mojo is way more musical. It not even a two horse race between Mojo and either of my DAPs.

Also I find the Mojo pairs excellently with my AKG N40 (discontinued). (I have other earphones too.) The synergy is top notch like they were made for each other. Considering AKG N40 dropped to £160, it's a no-brainer pairing. Clearly though better earphones will do more. It makes Mojo a good value propostion.

For portability though DAPs win out every time. The beauty is that DAPs sound OK for portable work.
You make some excellent points, thanks for that perspective.

Absolutely I agree the SR25 has plenty of its own quirks/foibles, but none of them are deal-breakers for me the way I'm using it.

All technology products are designed with necessary compromises, it's up to us as end-users to work out if the benefits of the product outweigh those compromises at a given price point.

I'm really excited for what Mojo2 could turn out to be, and will reserve judgement until I'm listening to one with a few of my IEMs, checking out it's features and considering how it might fit into my various listening modes.

Nov 7, 2021 at 12:39 PM Post #608 of 10,527
I (personally) would buy the Mojo 2 if:
- it sounds noticably better than Mojo classic, but if pricing is close to Hugo2, then I get Hugo2.
- and/or it would have a card reader and bluetooth, so I could play direct from the card, sort of screen-less basic DAP functionality.
- LDAC enabled BT would be a bonus! not a deal maker or breaker.
mScaler input, Poly back-compatibility, longer battery life, fast charging . . . etc. would not mean much to me, though I appreciate it maybe to others.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2021 at 1:26 PM Post #611 of 10,527
I imagine chord team laughing at ours post lol
Actually, this forum or thread would have been the best research they could have hoped for.
But the deed is done, it has been designed, gone into production already.
We can no longer change it, but maybe, Chord would take some pointers for Hugo3!!

Nov 7, 2021 at 1:32 PM Post #612 of 10,527
Actually, this forum or thread would have been the best research they could have hoped for.
But the deed is done, it has been designed, gone into production already.
We can no longer change it, but maybe, Chord would take some pointers for Hugo3!!
Right. Only missing the last act: january 31st

Nov 7, 2021 at 1:35 PM Post #613 of 10,527
I wonder if January 31st is release date and not reveal date. It would be nice to get some details before then. Probably not the way the tease and countdown is setup on their page.

Nov 7, 2021 at 1:35 PM Post #614 of 10,527
Right. Only missing the last act: january 31st
I give it till summer, to read some real reviews and testimonials before I decide anything.
Till then (at least) Mojo C will do me just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back