Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
May 7, 2022 at 10:00 AM Post #4,186 of 10,535
RE; USB cables, Connections, White noise blasts
It may be un-related, but it may help some folk regarding their USB connections, possible white noise blasts etc.

Background
A while ago, I got myself a 1TB USB stick made by Patriot, that is supposed to be super fast! claimed read/write of over 300MB a second!
I some times got speeds that fast, but sometimes it would revert to slower speeds of about 100+ MB/s read and less than 100MB/s write, which was annoying.
So I used a software to check the speed,
It would start at 250+ , but at some point it would drop to about 100+ and then settle at about 80MB/s !! It would also get hot - so I implemented a heatsink from copper plates on both sides and some thermal pads.

IMG_20220507_144214.jpg

It helped with heat dissipation but ultimately the speeds were all over the place. I checked it on my Android phone (with a converter) and the results showed similar pattern.
As a last resort, I thought I clean the plugs and sockets. I have a can of DeoxIT F5 which is a super-duper contact cleaner. After properly applying it and waiting for a few minutes to fully clean the USB plugs and sockets, I tried again.
WOW!
to my surprise, the speeds jumped to over 300MB/s reading and writing! and stayed up there. I tried a 32GB test file and the write curve stayed flat (ish) above 300MB/s all the way!

1651933110844.png
Screenshot 2022-05-07 150946.jpg Screenshot_20220507_150534_com.Saplin.CPDT.jpg
Dirty USB contacts make a difference!
the unit/PC kept adjusting the speeds when there were package drops, since writing and reading to external drives has error correction applied to them.
I wonder if the same phenomena is interfering with USB connection to DACs and creating data package drops which results in white noise blasts.

Last edited:
May 8, 2022 at 9:03 AM Post #4,187 of 10,535
Had the Mojo2 for a few weeks now. Oh my what a fantastic DAC it is too , had a Cobalt before and this has wiped the floor with that one, it’s now sold. I have 64 Audio U12T and I got them and was very underwhelmed with them TBH……..until I put this bad boy in the chain.

I’ve had a Hugo TT2 before and I swear this is at least equal or better to that with IEM’s. Better as in more engaging and downright fun, not strictly better in a technical sense.

It was literally an OMG moment…… “so THATS what they can do with a real top shelf portable DAC.”

Last edited:
May 8, 2022 at 2:56 PM Post #4,188 of 10,535
Had the Mojo2 for a few weeks now. Oh my what a fantastic DAC it is too , had a Cobalt before and this has wiped the floor with that one, it’s now sold. I have 64 Audio U12T and I got them and was very underwhelmed with them TBH……..until I put this bad boy in the chain.

I’ve had a Hugo TT2 before and I swear this is at least equal or better to that with IEM’s. Better as in more engaging and downright fun, not strictly better in a technical sense.

It was literally an OMG moment…… “so THATS what they can do with a real top shelf portable DAC.”
do you use a custom USB cable or the included stock one ?

May 8, 2022 at 10:29 PM Post #4,189 of 10,535
May 9, 2022 at 2:12 PM Post #4,190 of 10,535
oh, I think I just reached a white noise issue aswell for the first time.
I was randomsly watching some videos and then suddenly a huge white noise as soon as a sound needs to be played.
I had to turn off and on my unit to solve the issue. I hope everything will be fine for the next days or I will probably return my unit then to be fixed.

May 9, 2022 at 3:01 PM Post #4,191 of 10,535
oh, I think I just reached a white noise issue aswell for the first time.
I was randomsly watching some videos and then suddenly a huge white noise as soon as a sound needs to be played.
I had to turn off and on my unit to solve the issue. I hope everything will be fine for the next days or I will probably return my unit then to be fixed.
AFAIK it's not anything wrong with the unit, they all do it. In my experience and opinion, it's happened only when the USB connector got bumped/loosened during playback.....this is after using OG for many years and M2 for almost 3 months (there could be other reasons but I haven't experienced them....)

Can happen with either unit if the above occurs, so I'm careful not to now and using on a desktop.

Last edited:
May 11, 2022 at 1:43 AM Post #4,193 of 10,535
I somehow stumbled onto some Mojo2 YouTube videos, ended up watching Rob Watts canjam video which resulted in me purchasing one :p looking forward to trying it out, I’ve been using my ZX507 for portable music (unless I’m using a TWS) so will be interesting to compare!

May 11, 2022 at 2:03 AM Post #4,194 of 10,535
I somehow stumbled onto some Mojo2 YouTube videos, ended up watching Rob Watts canjam video which resulted in me purchasing one :p looking forward to trying it out, I’ve been using my ZX507 for portable music (unless I’m using a TWS) so will be interesting to compare!
Brisbane as in Qld?! Please do compare with your topping 90 combo. Owning the A90 I’m genuinely curious. TIA

May 11, 2022 at 2:24 AM Post #4,195 of 10,535
Brisbane as in Qld?! Please do compare with your topping 90 combo. Owning the A90 I’m genuinely curious. TIA
Yep - Brisbane, Queensland :) will definitely compare with my topping stack

May 11, 2022 at 2:40 AM Post #4,197 of 10,535
Hi I see you have both the SR25 and Mojo2, how do they compare in sound? I have the SR25 and was wondering if the Mojo 2 is a clear upgrade over it despite being similarly priced.
Hi David. SR25 (mk1) has a warm detailed sound signature and adding Mojo 2 expands the soundstage, detail and punch. To my ears a worthy upgrade and gives another flavor. This duo sounds so good I do not have an urge to invest in a $ high end DAP (also have paw 6000, pocket friendly) As both devices have a similar width they are also easy to stack (see picture).

Attachments

• IMG_2036.jpg
    IMG_2036.jpg
    649.6 KB · Views: 0
May 11, 2022 at 2:55 AM Post #4,198 of 10,535
Hi David. SR25 (mk1) has a warm detailed sound signature and adding Mojo 2 expands the soundstage, detail and punch. To my ears a worthy upgrade and gives another flavor. This duo sounds so good I do not have an urge to invest in a $ high end DAP (also have paw 6000, pocket friendly) As both devices have a similar width they are also easy to stack (see picture).
If you are using M2 with multiple DAPs, I would suggest you to get 3M command strips. It works better than velcro IMO.

PXL_20220511_064620895~2.jpg
PXL_20220511_064751650~3.jpg

May 11, 2022 at 6:57 AM Post #4,199 of 10,535
Oh man same here! I’m thinking of pairing mojo 2 with IERZ1R and Clear so I’ll pleasantly wait for your impressions!
Nice! :)

I’ll try it out with both of them for you, should be here tomorrow according to Aus Post. Thought it might have been today (made it from Sydney overnight) but then it’s been sat at their distribution centre all day 😑

May 11, 2022 at 8:19 AM Post #4,200 of 10,535
Nice! :)

I’ll try it out with both of them for you, should be here tomorrow according to Aus Post. Thought it might have been today (made it from Sydney overnight) but then it’s been sat at their distribution centre all day 😑
Yeah it happens if it’s not express post/is express post but there’s heavy rain :frowning2: I was just emailing minidisc today for their opinions lol. Thanks appreciate it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back