Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Aug 12, 2021 at 5:09 PM Post #316 of 10,527
I've had a Mojo on order since May. Each month the order was pushed out another month with the vendor saying that they are expecting shipments to arrive. As of the August update, the vendor has said that Mojo has been discontinued by the manufacturer.

One thing that I haven't seen here is whether or not anyone has heard that Chord has been impacted by Xilinx shortages and whether that manufacturer who has been impacted by substrate supply issues has resolved them or had resolved them for the product lines that supply the FPGA's that are in the Chord Devices.

I know that Xilinx has been warning about supply chain issues in their SEC Filings, not sure how this has manifested in supplying customers like Chord.

Would be keenly interested if Chord will be moving to smaller scale FPGA for Mojo (or any of their lines). I would expect that this would result in longer battery life. That said, given the Mojo is also a Class A/B (A Biased) amplifier, I expect that most of their battery life is spent in that component vs the FPGA.
Check the posts by @Rob Watts .
I think he posted that it is approx 1W for the processing by the FPGA, and mW for the amplifier, if you are using iems.

Aug 12, 2021 at 6:35 PM Post #317 of 10,527
Making any Mojo replacement hamstrung to be backward-compatible with a product that was as problematic and poorly realised as the Poly would be a compromise and a misstep in my opinion.
I have the Poly and while I love the Mojo the Poly is rightly classified as a problematic junk!

Aug 12, 2021 at 11:05 PM Post #318 of 10,527
I have the Poly and while I love the Mojo the Poly is rightly classified as a problematic junk!
What's wrong with yours? Mine's been solid post-v2.0 update.

Aug 14, 2021 at 11:51 AM Post #319 of 10,527
I’d be interested in a new Mojo if a) it worked adjacent to an iPhone and b) the batteries were user replaceable. It would also be nice if c) the volume control on the phone controlled the volume on the mojo.

Aug 14, 2021 at 12:03 PM Post #320 of 10,527
I’d be interested in a new Mojo if a) it worked adjacent to an iPhone and b) the batteries were user replaceable. It would also be nice if c) the volume control on the phone controlled the volume on the mojo.
the batteries are user replaceable and you can buy cheap replacements from Aliexpress.

Aug 14, 2021 at 5:12 PM Post #322 of 10,527
Yeah, but not without voiding your warranty. And that still leaves the fundamental weakness of the mojo: that it cannot be used in reasonable proximity to many phones. Which is a huge fail IMO.
You won't need to change the battery until the warranty is over anyway. To me this is an non-issue. If I were going to purchase a used Mojo at this time for $250, I would have zero concern about the battery. For $250, there aren't any options for that price that would get you better sound and flexibility since a Mojo can drive sensitive IEMs and full sized headphones.

If the rumored Mojo doesn't come out soon and I were looking to buy something new, I would buy a Ifi diablo or a DX300 DAP. Mojo/Poly in its current state in no longer competitive. I did see someone offering this combo for sale for $650. At that price, it's worth it.

Aug 14, 2021 at 5:41 PM Post #323 of 10,527
You won't need to change the battery until the warranty is over anyway. To me this is an non-issue. If I were going to purchase a used Mojo at this time for $250, I would have zero concern about the battery. For $250, there aren't any options for that price that would get you better sound and flexibility since a Mojo can drive sensitive IEMs and full sized headphones.

If the rumored Mojo doesn't come out soon and I were looking to buy something new, I would buy a Ifi diablo or a DX300 DAP. Mojo/Poly in its current state in no longer competitive. I did see someone offering this combo for sale for $650. At that price, it's worth it.
I kinda like the idea that if I buy something I should be able to keep it working for many years at reasonable cost. Being locked into an expensive dealer or manufacturer based replacement scheme for batteries which are known to have a limited life is not acceptable to me. July was the hottest July on record. Fires and floods all over the planet. We need to stop avoidable waste now.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2021 at 6:19 PM Post #325 of 10,527
I kinda like the idea that if I buy something I should be able to keep it working for many years at reasonable cost. Being locked into an expensive dealer or manufacturer based replacement scheme for batteries which are known to have a limited life is not acceptable to me. July was the hottest July on record. Fires and floods all over the planet. We need to stop avoidable waste now.
Wow. That's one impressive leap from user replaceable battery on the Chord Mojo directly to global warming.

Aug 14, 2021 at 6:46 PM Post #326 of 10,527
Greta? Why are you in a mojo speculation thread?
Chord, and indeed the audio industry, need to address their contribution to global warming and waste. Can you justify all the expensive machined from the solid DAVE design? Can you justify a product like the Mojo that stops working and needs shipped a long way to get batteries changed? Can you justify products that aren’t upgradeable like the Blu and TT? Linn can make upgradeable products, why not Chord? Greta is one of the most extraordinary people of my lifetime. She should make us all think.

So for these reasons I would like to see an upgradeable Mojo made responsibly with easily replaceable batteries.

Aug 14, 2021 at 7:38 PM Post #327 of 10,527
LOL.

This isn't the time nor place to discuss "climate change", but the sensationalist hilarity of what you're saying is indeed truly entertaining. Unless of course, you're not joking 😐

I will, however, join in with you in your solidarity, though. Unless the Mojo 2 is made from 100% recycled, and recyclable, materials, with a battery that never expires, I will not buy.

Oh, India and China's industrial booms? Inconsequential. It's them batteries in niche audio products that r ruinin' earf.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2021 at 10:02 PM Post #328 of 10,527
I don’t find any of this discussion out of place at all. The OP simply said if they buy a product they’d like to be able to keep it working for many years at a reasonable cost. The thread is all about features we’d like to see in the next Mojo, and for battery-powered products people really should be able to replace them themselves in this day and age without having to ship them half way round the world. It is unnecessary and every bit helps.

I think the audio industry in general seems to be behind the curve when it comes to making business decisions to minimize impacts, and just because it’s a niche industry doesn’t mean it should be excused.

Aug 14, 2021 at 10:30 PM Post #329 of 10,527
I don’t find any of this discussion out of place at all. The OP simply said if they buy a product they’d like to be able to keep it working for many years at a reasonable cost. The thread is all about features we’d like to see in the next Mojo, and for battery-powered products people really should be able to replace them themselves in this day and age without having to ship them half way round the world. It is unnecessary and every bit helps.

I think the audio industry in general seems to be behind the curve when it comes to making business decisions to minimize impacts, and just because it’s a niche industry doesn’t mean it should be excused.
I think a big thing they could do is improve the Mojo’s functionality as a “transportable” or “mini desktop” unit. They could allow it to recieve power from USB alone or from a power adapter when not being used as a portable unit. I know it can do this now… but you need to unplug the battery.

Aug 15, 2021 at 2:00 AM Post #330 of 10,527
If we were that concerned about the environment, we wouldn't be buying luxurious audio equipment at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back