Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Aug 10, 2021 at 12:10 PM Post #302 of 10,527
My Mojo Poly battery is dead, Ill wait for Mojo 2 which again I was told by my reputed retailer I bought my first mojo off that the mojo 2 is around the corner...

I wish there was a specific date, hate not knowing....

Aug 10, 2021 at 9:02 PM Post #303 of 10,527
Nice try - but I wouldn't want to spoil the speculation on this thread!

This sounds very interesting …

I’ve been waiting for a Mojo 2 ever since I sold my Mojo a couple years ago.

Aug 11, 2021 at 9:33 AM Post #307 of 10,527
not if I has a usb c jack :) good point I wonder if they will make it so the poly can connect in some way.
Well, they can always add a usb-c on top of the existing connections. Personally I couldn't care less about usb-c but that's just me. Technically Chord has to make sure that the poly can be used with any new product that will replace the mojo. If they don't then they will damage their reputation and brand.

Aug 11, 2021 at 9:39 AM Post #308 of 10,527
Well, they can always add a usb-c on top of the existing connections. Personally I couldn't care less about usb-c but that's just me. Technically Chord has to make sure that the poly can be used with any new product that will replace the mojo. If they don't then they will damage their reputation and brand.
agree need to have a plan

Aug 11, 2021 at 5:02 PM Post #309 of 10,527
Making any Mojo replacement hamstrung to be backward-compatible with a product that was as problematic and poorly realised as the Poly would be a compromise and a misstep in my opinion.

Aug 11, 2021 at 6:04 PM Post #311 of 10,527
Do you consider the poly a problematic device today?
I was a day-1 Poly owner, and soldiered on with it through incremental improvements for a good couple of years. It proved simply too difficult to spontaneously enjoy music with, so I passed it on. Is it problematic today? I couldn't say. Is it perfect, or even 'great'? No.

Aug 11, 2021 at 8:51 PM Post #312 of 10,527
I was a day-1 Poly owner, and soldiered on with it through incremental improvements for a good couple of years. It proved simply too difficult to spontaneously enjoy music with, so I passed it on. Is it problematic today? I couldn't say. Is it perfect, or even 'great'? No.
As a recent Poly owner I'd say Chord are in a difficult position. Anyone who has bought one recently will feel a bit shafted if a Mojo2 is released and their recently-purchased Poly is only compatible with Mojo1. Likewise, the battlers who have had Poly for a long time and kept with it may well feel their loyalty didn't count for much if they stayed with it through the problems and then it's value plummets and is quietly forgotten after a non-compatible Mojo2 release.

I guess the problem is the Mojo was designed as a portable DAC/amp and only later, after it's success - and the changing portable music/streaming landscape - Chord tried to add on extra functionality with the Poly. In itself there's nothing wrong with that, but it did feel to me like an odd compromise of an add-on rather than a fully functional unit. As far as functionality is concerned at present, it was okay for me - not great, not too bad. If you set it to one task - e.g. Roon streaming on a home network - then you can pretty much switch on and go, no problems, and there seem to be plenty of users in that boat that are perfectly happy. Switching between functions is still a bit of a hassle as it requires connecting via Bluetooth and GoFigure and rebooting Poly. The other main issue reported in the Poly thread seems to be with charging and battery life, since Poly never fully powers off; most of the time I would use it at home and plugged in. Another downside for me was that with Poly connected you can't use Mojo's wired inputs anymore - Poly makes it wireless only, and you have to disconnect it (which may mean taking both out of a case first) in order to connect a USB or optical cable - so it 'adds on' to Mojo's functionality but simultaneously hampers the original functions.

It seems like it would be a better bet to redesign the two as an integrated all-in-one unit, so that you wouldn't have the issues of charging two separate batteries housed in different devices, and could keep the wired inputs available on the outside of the unit. Maybe they could even offer different streaming and non-streaming versions so that users who are content with USB or SPDIF input can buy a cheaper, non-streaming version.

Still, for better or worse the leaked photos earlier in the thread (which seem pretty legit) show backwards compatibility with Poly, with a USB-C connection added underneath.

Aug 11, 2021 at 9:03 PM Post #313 of 10,527
As a recent Poly owner I'd say Chord are in a difficult position. Anyone who has bought one recently will feel a bit shafted if a Mojo2 is released and their recently-purchased Poly is only compatible with Mojo1. Likewise, the battlers who have had Poly for a long time and kept with it may well feel their loyalty didn't count for much if they stayed with it through the problems and then it's value plummets and is quietly forgotten after a non-compatible Mojo2 release.

I guess the problem is the Mojo was designed as a portable DAC/amp and only later, after it's success - and the changing portable music/streaming landscape - Chord tried to add on extra functionality with the Poly. In itself there's nothing wrong with that, but it did feel to me like an odd compromise of an add-on rather than a fully functional unit. As far as functionality is concerned at present, it was okay for me - not great, not too bad. If you set it to one task - e.g. Roon streaming on a home network - then you can pretty much switch on and go, no problems, and there seem to be plenty of users in that boat that are perfectly happy. Switching between functions is still a bit of a hassle as it requires connecting via Bluetooth and GoFigure and rebooting Poly. The other main issue reported in the Poly thread seems to be with charging and battery life, since Poly never fully powers off; most of the time I would use it at home and plugged in. Another downside for me was that with Poly connected you can't use Mojo's wired inputs anymore - Poly makes it wireless only, and you have to disconnect it (which may mean taking both out of a case first) in order to connect a USB or optical cable - so it 'adds on' to Mojo's functionality but simultaneously hampers the original functions.

It seems like it would be a better bet to redesign the two as an integrated all-in-one unit, so that you wouldn't have the issues of charging two separate batteries housed in different devices, and could keep the wired inputs available on the outside of the unit. Maybe they could even offer different streaming and non-streaming versions so that users who are content with USB or SPDIF input can buy a cheaper, non-streaming version.

Still, for better or worse the leaked photos earlier in the thread (which seem pretty legit) show backwards compatibility with Poly, with a USB-C connection added underneath.
It would always be better to make the best product you can for the given segment/set of constraints. It just depends how you define those constraints. If you are releasing “Mojo2” then you should have to match with Poly. But, if you create something different, but still portable, you have more freedom. In my mind, the Mojo form factor is ok, and you could keep r modify he UI. For Poly, and I’ve said this before, I would add a physical on/off switch and a 3 position switch for Roon/network/hotspot modes. They can be colorful balls, or whatever, but the app is clunky to use, especially when that’s all its really used for.

Aug 11, 2021 at 11:52 PM Post #314 of 10,527
It would always be better to make the best product you can for the given segment/set of constraints. It just depends how you define those constraints. If you are releasing “Mojo2” then you should have to match with Poly. But, if you create something different, but still portable, you have more freedom. In my mind, the Mojo form factor is ok, and you could keep r modify he UI. For Poly, and I’ve said this before, I would add a physical on/off switch and a 3 position switch for Roon/network/hotspot modes. They can be colorful balls, or whatever, but the app is clunky to use, especially when that’s all its really used for.
Fully agree, a hardware solution for on/off and modes would be way easier to use.

Aug 12, 2021 at 3:58 PM Post #315 of 10,527
I've had a Mojo on order since May. Each month the order was pushed out another month with the vendor saying that they are expecting shipments to arrive. As of the August update, the vendor has said that Mojo has been discontinued by the manufacturer.

One thing that I haven't seen here is whether or not anyone has heard that Chord has been impacted by Xilinx shortages and whether that manufacturer who has been impacted by substrate supply issues has resolved them or had resolved them for the product lines that supply the FPGA's that are in the Chord Devices.

I know that Xilinx has been warning about supply chain issues in their SEC Filings, not sure how this has manifested in supplying customers like Chord.

Would be keenly interested if Chord will be moving to smaller scale FPGA for Mojo (or any of their lines). I would expect that this would result in longer battery life. That said, given the Mojo is also a Class A/B (A Biased) amplifier, I expect that most of their battery life is spent in that component vs the FPGA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back