Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Feb 1, 2022 at 5:08 PM Post #1,696 of 10,527
It’s strange that the top of the Mojo looks like an industrial work of art, yet on the bottom it looks like a crude DIY project. Good to know that the ugly sticker can be peeled off!

I would recommend using a razor blade to carefully detach one of the corners of the sticker so you can then slowly peel off the entire sticker without deforming it in any way. If you have a warranty issue down the road (1 year warranty in the US), you don’t want a wrinkled corner being the reason why the distributor won’t honor the warranty.

Of course, this all is based on the sticker on the M2 being the same as the OG Mojo. From the picture I saw, it looks the same to me, hopefully Chord didn’t use one of those stickers that deforms from removal found on inexpensive product. ✌️

Feb 1, 2022 at 5:12 PM Post #1,697 of 10,527
I had a Mojo OG which I hardly ever used and literally just sold, and today I got a Mojo 2 out of curiosity. I've just dialled the upper treble down a couple of dB as it seemed brighter. I also noticed some harshness on recordings where I hadn't noticed it before.
Welcome to chip land😅

Feb 1, 2022 at 5:15 PM Post #1,698 of 10,527
May I ask why you need to even bother equalizing everything to 3.5? Just compare them with what you got. I don't think it's anyone's fault that the Mojo doesn't have balanced except its creator. Or are the 3.5 and 4.4mm cables you got very different? I'm just hinting that maybe after so many years we need to take the mojo for what it is. It is a single-ended device and so far I've never been able to listen to it through my 4.4 TOTL cables. Could be a flaw.

My solution is one of these, nice and clean and very well made. Big fan of DD hifi adaptors. 👍

Feb 1, 2022 at 5:19 PM Post #1,699 of 10,527
I had a Mojo OG which I hardly ever used and literally just sold, and today I got a Mojo 2 out of curiosity. I've just dialled the upper treble down a couple of dB as it seemed brighter. I also noticed some harshness on recordings where I hadn't noticed it before.

Rob in his interview with John Darko commented the new design was purposely tuned for neutrality for enhanced performance, no warm OG Mojo timbre. One of the reasons for the EQ capability is to retune the Mojo 2 as the original for those that love that sound (I was one of them).

Feb 1, 2022 at 5:23 PM Post #1,700 of 10,527
Rob in his interview with John Darko commented the new design was purposely tuned for neutrality for enhanced performance, no warm OG Mojo timbre. One of the reasons for the EQ capability is to retune the Mojo 2 as the original for those that love that sound (I was one of them).
So where is purity of sound if every version of mojo is tuned? Honestly i don' t understand

Feb 1, 2022 at 5:23 PM Post #1,701 of 10,527
I’m listening to the Mojo 2 with a vast selection of headphones, but it proving messy to compare to the Gryphon and Xduoo XD-05 Bal as I was using 4.4mm balanced cables with them. I have had to change everything to 3.5mm unbalanced. Has anyone got an idea how to swap cables fast?

My verdict on the the Mojo 2 so far - “The best balls in the business” . I just love the coloured balls. As to the sound quality it’s still a work in progress trying to establish the quality and also compare it.
I use this adapter
Geekria Apollo 3.5mm Stereo Male... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08JM3F5WP?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Feb 1, 2022 at 5:33 PM Post #1,702 of 10,527
So where is purity of sound if every version of mojo is tuned? Honestly i don' t understand

Although Rob speaks in a highly technical manner when describing all the changes he made and why, I really recommend if you are interested in acquiring an M2 to listen to the podcast, it answers a lot of questions about the new design goals.

There are two Mojos that have been released, the original and the new 2. From my recollection, the OG was tuned as it was because the designated market in Chord’s view was for phones which due to their circuitry are noisy (RFI) devices which add brightness to the sound, and the thought was a warmer version would mate better with the intended use. Because the M2 now has lossless EQ, Rob wanted to improve the overall performance and clarity by designing it to be neutral. ✌️

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2022 at 5:47 PM Post #1,703 of 10,527
Yeah, me, too. Since the Mojo 2 is supposed to be more transparent than the Mojo OG, I am also wondering about the general sound signature.

Me too, although while the Gryphon is the best looking portable dac/amp they’ve made (imho), I’m likely going to buy the M2 and use a DD hifi adaptor for my 4.4mm cables. But I’d still like to read a shootout between the two. 🙏

Feb 1, 2022 at 5:56 PM Post #1,705 of 10,527

Here comes the controversy, burn-in. Rob has actually stated in the Mojo thread he doesn’t hear a difference which I always found baffling because that wasn’t my experience with the Mojo. He primarily uses headphones for his listening whereas I use flagship IEMs which are highly resolving, so perhaps that’s the reason why. 🤷

Feb 1, 2022 at 6:08 PM Post #1,706 of 10,527
Here comes the controversy, burn-in. Rob has actually stated in the Mojo thread he doesn’t hear a difference which I always found baffling because that wasn’t my experience with the Mojo. He primarily uses headphones for his listening whereas I use flagship IEMs which are highly resolving, so perhaps that’s the reason why. 🤷
He’s probably right and your brain is just getting used to it dude.

Feb 1, 2022 at 6:23 PM Post #1,707 of 10,527
I just listened to the Darko podcast with Rob Watts and he said it would be necessary to turn down the treble a couple of dB to bring the sound closer to that of the mojo OG, which is exactly what I had been doing.
I've been listening to the mojo 2 for a couple of hours and I feel that the sound has changed slightly, but I'm sure that it's just my brain that's changed.

Feb 1, 2022 at 6:26 PM Post #1,708 of 10,527
My solution is one of these, nice and clean and very well made. Big fan of DD hifi adaptors. 👍
Yeah these are a cheap solution. No loss/alteration in quality you reckon?

Feb 1, 2022 at 6:30 PM Post #1,709 of 10,527
Yeah these are a cheap solution. No loss/alteration in quality you reckon?

None that I heard. I owned one before but then included it in a transaction I made. For my use, having the 4.4m inserting at a right angle to the 3.5mm jack on the Mojo is a plus. Using no cable, all hardware, is a plus. Very well made, and I’m a stickler about this. ✌️

Feb 1, 2022 at 6:59 PM Post #1,710 of 10,527
None that I heard. I owned one before but then included it in a transaction I made. For my use, having the 4.4m inserting at a right angle to the 3.5mm jack on the Mojo is a plus. Using no cable, all hardware, is a plus. Very well made, and I’m a stickler about this. ✌️
I wonder what the point would be of something like the pw audio mojo 4.4 adapter. Looks way cooler tbh but then how would that sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back