Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Oct 30, 2021 at 4:26 AM Post #437 of 10,625
If you want to keep poly, you don't have a choice.-. And I'm sure Chord wants to keep poly alive for quite some time. It was designed by external company - these things cost a lot of money. They invested serious cash into a product, now they want that cash back.

But from the other side, it's disappearing from phones (micro usb) , so what ? I don't see a point really.
If you are designing product you don't follow blindly other companies.
Everything has it's purpose you don't put random things in your device because other companies changed something.
It's called engineering
Solution: poly 2 lol

Oct 30, 2021 at 6:39 AM Post #443 of 10,625
“M” doesn’t seem like gain. Maybe “m-scaler” (doubtful) or “mode” (Poly, direct, other inputs) or “media” (streaming, SD, Poly), or filters of some sort. @Rob Watts, care to tell us what the M button is for?
When I had my Poly, one of the things that I really wanted was a wired-USB connection; there were times when I didn't want or need the wireless capabilities of the Moly + Poly. Thus, it will be nice to see a "Mode" button that induces a "Poly bypass" function.

Anyway, it's interesting to note that the official teased shot of the Mojo 2 closely matches the button layout of the leaked set of images. Guess the tipster was right, after all?

Oct 30, 2021 at 10:12 AM Post #444 of 10,625
When I had my Poly, one of the things that I really wanted was a wired-USB connection; there were times when I didn't want or need the wireless capabilities of the Moly + Poly. Thus, it will be nice to see a "Mode" button that induces a "Poly bypass" function.

Anyway, it's interesting to note that the official teased shot of the Mojo 2 closely matches the button layout of the leaked set of images. Guess the tipster was right, after all?
How would the Poly bypass work? I think the usb input on Poly only connects to the charging usb on Mojo, not the input. So that may have to wait for Poly2…and what would that look like to mate with Mojo2 via usb? I hope they are thinking about that, too.

Oct 30, 2021 at 12:49 PM Post #446 of 10,625
How would the Poly bypass work? I think the usb input on Poly only connects to the charging usb on Mojo, not the input. So that may have to wait for Poly2…and what would that look like to mate with Mojo2 via usb? I hope they are thinking about that, too.
An integrated product was better for sure

Oct 30, 2021 at 6:55 PM Post #447 of 10,625
I don’t want to wade too far into the whole Micro-USB vs USB-C debate… I’ll just say its a silly debate to have. USB-C is objectively better, period. Faster data, faster charging, far more physically robust.

I don’t really see why Chord would hamstring a brand new presumably cutting-edge device with obsolete connections just so it can be backwards-compatible with a half-decade-old add-on product. That seems insane. But hey, stranger things have happened.

Given how much of a craterous impact the original Mojo made on the face of mobile audiophillia, I don’t think a new device with onboard DLNA, AirPlay, Bluetooth and microSD card playback is so far out of the realm of possibility… In fact, it would be just about what is needed to blow people’s minds the way the original did.

That said, if we’re not lucky enough to get all that in the new Mojo, I still think its more likely that the device will be USB-C, and a USB-C Poly 2 will come along shortly. Again, the original Poly is half a decade old. That may not be as long in the tooth as the original Mojo, but by digital device standards, the original Poly has definitely been around a while…

Oct 30, 2021 at 7:25 PM Post #448 of 10,625
I don’t want to wade too far into the whole Micro-USB vs USB-C debate… I’ll just say its a silly debate to have. USB-C is objectively better, period. Faster data, faster charging, far more physically robust.

I don’t really see why Chord would hamstring a brand new presumably cutting-edge device with obsolete connections just so it can be backwards-compatible with a half-decade-old add-on product. That seems insane. But hey, stranger things have happened.

Given how much of a craterous impact the original Mojo made on the face of mobile audiophillia, I don’t think a new device with onboard DLNA, AirPlay, Bluetooth and microSD card playback is so far out of the realm of possibility… In fact, it would be just about what is needed to blow people’s minds the way the original did.

That said, if we’re not lucky enough to get all that in the new Mojo, I still think its more likely that the device will be USB-C, and a USB-C Poly 2 will come along shortly. Again, the original Poly is half a decade old. That may not be as long in the tooth as the original Mojo, but by digital device standards, the original Poly has definitely been around a while…
4 years is a long time for a digital device, but how many are still using an iPhone 8 with no issues? We know the evolution of phones…bigger screens, better cameras, better battery life, different connectors, but they do the same thing.

We also know the upgrade path for Mojo…more taps, better filters like H2 or TT2, lore elements pulse array, better battery life. That will depend on the availability of better FOGAs. I don’t know if @Rob Watts has improved his very simple and transparent audio implementation. But as I’ve said before, Mojo is by far the best value audio product I have ever purchased. And it will be hard to change that unless Mojo2 is clearly better for its new price. I don’t find anything lacking in Mojo for its form factor compared to day one, and haven’t felt any need to upgrade or side grade. But, I’ll be first in line to preorder Mojo2.

Oct 30, 2021 at 8:01 PM Post #449 of 10,625
4 years is a long time for a digital device, but how many are still using an iPhone 8 with no issues? We know the evolution of phones…bigger screens, better cameras, better battery life, different connectors, but they do the same thing.

We also know the upgrade path for Mojo…more taps, better filters like H2 or TT2, lore elements pulse array, better battery life. That will depend on the availability of better FOGAs. I don’t know if @Rob Watts has improved his very simple and transparent audio implementation. But as I’ve said before, Mojo is by far the best value audio product I have ever purchased. And it will be hard to change that unless Mojo2 is clearly better for its new price. I don’t find anything lacking in Mojo for its form factor compared to day one, and haven’t felt any need to upgrade or side grade. But, I’ll be first in line to preorder Mojo2.
The phone point is well taken, but then we must also acknowledge the difference between a phone and a boutique audio device. While most modern jobs require one to have a smart phone (and I am not speaking tech or corporate… even plumbers could not go back to the days before customers could text them photos of disasters in real-time), nobody really needs a Mojo 2. Well, I do. And you do. But we’re weirdos. So if phones are the metric, then for this comparison, it is only fair to reduce that metric to the weirdos who are like us, only with phones… that being the average Apple fanboy. And those guys are definitely not rocking an iPhone 8 in 2021. Except maybe the Woz. But he’s an anomaly.

And while I certainly agree that we (by and large) know the upgrade path for the iPhone 13, 14, 15, and probably even the 16, I don’t think we can say the same for the Mojo body of products. After all, the second one isn’t even out yet, and next to nothing is known about it, beyond some (albeit informed) speculation. So I think it’s a bit premature to lean into the idea that Chord has settled on a relatively tame upgrade path for the series… I mean, the first Mojo was introduced with all the subtlety of a Guy Richie movie character kicking down the door and waving a shotgun about… It brought legitimate end-game desktop sound to a device the size of a deck of cards. For $500. It was bonkers. I’m hoping the Mojo 2 is just as bonkers.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2021 at 1:12 AM Post #450 of 10,625
I will change from Mojo to Mojo2 only because it is Poly compatible.
I could use the Mojo2 with the 2go2yu for a better result but it will not be portable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back