Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Apr 29, 2021 at 2:28 PM Post #196 of 10,452
Not to me. The Poly is a fairly new product. It would be stupid to come out with a new Mojo that does't work with it. At least with this new Mojo 2, it appears to get the best of both since it also has USB-C.

Yes, if I invested twice the costs of a Mojo1 into a Poly; I would be upset if I could not use Poly with a Mojo2.

Apr 29, 2021 at 2:41 PM Post #197 of 10,452
Like I always stress, we are all at different stages. There are other more options out there more robust than the Poly for portable if you are not at the beginning stages. One has to find out for themselves. I guess it's difficult if your level is just how to install an app on a phone or your tech limitations is looking for a Chi-Fi solution.

For example, when you get a TT2 you start off with an iPhone/iPad but your TT2 ends up sounding like a DAP. That's fine, your world is limited to that Apple ecosystem. Same thing with Chi-Fi, your limited to that world. But once you evolve and move to different stages, your world opens up for desktop as well as for portable:

image.thumb.png.aa1b433b7b6258ad7c7c980961a289fc.png

ray-dude's system.

You just have to keep an open mind and when you level up stage. Do you really want to run a TT2 with a iPhone or Chi-Fi DAP? Same with Mojo2, if not for convenience-sakes, do you really want to bottleneck the Mojo2? It's up to oneself to find out what's best for them, but there are other portable solutions out there if you don't limit yourself. But I understand as Mojo is targeted towards the barely can install an app on the iPhone crowd.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2021 at 3:12 PM Post #198 of 10,452
I’m pretty convinced this is photoshopped now that I looked closely at the USB-C. The module sticks out the bottom of the unit, which means it won’t sit flat on a table. No way that’s a real design choice, even for Chord…

Screenshot at Apr 29 15-10-59.png

Apr 29, 2021 at 3:24 PM Post #199 of 10,452
I’m pretty convinced this is photoshopped now that I looked closely at the USB-C. The module sticks out the bottom of the unit, which means it won’t sit flat on a table. No way that’s a real design choice, even for Chord…

There's probably a little lip protrusion there on the edge. It's not that unusual on products with curved edges. My cordless phone has that for the mini jack for plugging in a headset.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2021 at 3:38 PM Post #200 of 10,452
There's probably a little lip protrusion there on the edge. It's not that unusual on products with curved edges. My cordless phone has that for the mini jack for plugging in a headset.
the other images don’t show that – you can see both sides look flat on the edge but the USB-C port sticks out

Apr 29, 2021 at 3:39 PM Post #201 of 10,452
the other images don’t show that – you can see both sides look flat on the edge but the USB-C port sticks out

Yeah, it would just be around that port only. It's a way for manufacturers to put a jack on a curved edge, without having to make the entire device thicker.

Apr 30, 2021 at 2:50 AM Post #203 of 10,452

Screenshot at Apr 29 15-10-59.png

Probably the rubber feet would be taller than that so it sits flat, if that’s the real deal

Apr 30, 2021 at 3:40 AM Post #204 of 10,452
I'll say I am not a fan of the design, but I am pretty convinced that this device is real.
I cannot imagine that anyone who creates a fake image would do so with a plastic wrapping.
I am still hoping that it is only a functional prototype, because that stuck-on USB-C for digital input looks aweful.

Would be good news for Poly-owners, but I would have preferred a clean slate approach.
I also cannot imagine that the "M" button refers to M-Scaler functions and believe the "Mode" interpretation is much more likely.
Most likely to activate desktop mode, maybe also some filtering options.

The biggest question seems to be how much has been changed under the hood.
Is it just a bug fix of the original Mojo, or is it a real upgrade?

I'll definitely wait for reliable feedback before considering buying one.
The original Mojo still has amazing SQ for the price and package, and I can't see myself letting it go.
If I don't need it as a portable unit anymore I might just build a network player with a RPi and Allo Digione HAT
That would be a mighty little player! :xf_cool:

Apr 30, 2021 at 3:48 AM Post #205 of 10,452
Is it just a bug fix of the original Mojo, or is it a real upgrade?
I read on Watts Up thread that Rob only releases new products when there is significant SQ improvement. I would have assumed a silent revision to address issues with the current product.

Apr 30, 2021 at 1:41 PM Post #206 of 10,452
It might not be unusual however when Chord talked about the aesthetic of the mojo they said they wanted it to look/feel like a smooth pebble I kind of struggle to see how this protrusion fits into that vision. Unless it's more subtle than it looks in the photo. As much as we tell ourselves it's about the music and the sound quality... people generally don't buy things that don't also look good and/or have a quality build. We need to keep in mind that Apple is the largest tech company by revenue and they basically got there by not only creating good products but also by having the aesthetic and build sorted.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2021 at 2:24 PM Post #207 of 10,452
I would hope they made a profit, given that they have shipped so many, although they probably had to reinvest a lot of it, back into the various updates to the Poly firmware and GoFigure app.

Mojo is a hit, whether profitably or HiFi impact.

But for Poly, I don't know if that cuts into the Mojo bottom line with it's probably higher than expected R&D costs.

IMO, Poly uses a $5 SBC. Those $5 SBCs have sub-standard USB internals and ports as well as sub-standard 2.4 GHz WiFi. They are even notorious for networking and USB data to intermingle with each other within the bandwidth allotted. What you are paying for is Chord R&D / software / convenience / battery convenience / brand name. Plus an aircraft aluminum case. It's looks nice from the outside, but easy pass if I was shopping for a SBC and researched the internals. Since your the closest thing to a Chord Insider, if you can get a hold of BOM (Bill of Materials), we can verify the SBC. This is mainly a Financial perspective.

The software is also available freely and has been around for two decades. They didn't innovate anything, just developed an interface to connect to the free software.

Yes, we should hope for Chord to make a profit. I would hate to ever revert back to a off-the-shelf DAC. That's just torture.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2021 at 3:05 PM Post #208 of 10,452
Looks like a DIY to me and done is such a way as to even support the Poly still. USB-C would be welcome.

May 1, 2021 at 5:13 AM Post #209 of 10,452
Mojo is a hit, whether profitably or HiFi impact.

But for Poly, I don't know if that cuts into the Mojo bottom line with it's probably higher than expected R&D costs.

IMO, Poly uses a $5 SBC. Those $5 SBCs have sub-standard USB internals and ports as well as sub-standard 2.4 GHz WiFi. They are even notorious for networking and USB data to intermingle with each other within the bandwidth allotted. What you are paying for is Chord R&D / software / convenience / battery convenience / brand name. Plus an aircraft aluminum case. It's looks nice from the outside, but easy pass if I was shopping for a SBC and researched the internals. Since your the closest thing to a Chord Insider, if you can get a hold of BOM (Bill of Materials), we can verify the SBC. This is mainly a Financial perspective.

The software is also available freely and has been around for two decades. They didn't innovate anything, just developed an interface to connect to the free software.

Yes, we should hope for Chord to make a profit. I would hate to ever revert back to a off-the-shelf DAC. That's just torture.

Your opinion is correct at the level of 'it is a computer fabricated on a single board'.
However no need for a BOM.
Just view the images on this wiki page, and you can see that Poly uses a circuit board custom designed by www.disignconsultants.com , who were also responsible for the software. I remember in the early days of the Poly thread, there was mention that they had specific design skills in RFI suppression/elimination. Owners posting about Poly enabling a 'dark background' to quiet music passages, provides evidence that the circuit board performs very well in terms RFI/electrical noise.

In conclusion, yes you can describe the Poly as a SBC, but it won't be a $5 SBC like the ones sold daily in their tens of thousands on Amazon.

May 1, 2021 at 9:10 AM Post #210 of 10,452
Whatever the implementation for Poly/Mojo2 is, I hope that it is better than that of the 2Go.

The 2.4Ghz wifi has been frustrating. The previous owner sent back 3 units concerned it didn't work. It took me 30 minutes to troubleshoot the 2Go not even finding my wifi network before I realised I had to change my wifi router 2.4Ghz channel to Channel 1 rather than Auto. (I did a back/forth and viola, the 2Go couldn't connect the moment I changed to channel 13 or Auto). And the connection between my GoFigure app on iPhone12Pro is also laggy and sometimes does not find the 2Go. The submit button for manual network entry didn't work on iOS (I had to download the GoFigure app on my Fiio m11Pro which is my only android device)

Look, I love the Hugo2/2Go combination and am listening to it as we speak (ROON -> 2Go/Hugo2 -> Empyrean). If the Mojo2/Poly was a smaller yet superior device, I'd be surprised. I auditioned the TT2 today and came away impressed with the further clarity and detail compared to the H2. Chord fits a lot of capability into a small footprint. Then I listened to the DCS Bartok but that's another story. :p

With every generation, technology brings the gap closer as the higher end stuff trickles down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back