Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
May 1, 2021 at 3:56 PM Post #211 of 10,546
Your opinion is correct at the level of 'it is a computer fabricated on a single board'.
However no need for a BOM.
Just view the images on this wiki page, and you can see that Poly uses a circuit board custom designed by www.disignconsultants.com , who were also responsible for the software. I remember in the early days of the Poly thread, there was mention that they had specific design skills in RFI suppression/elimination. Owners posting about Poly enabling a 'dark background' to quiet music passages, provides evidence that the circuit board performs very well in terms RFI/electrical noise.

In conclusion, yes you can describe the Poly as a SBC, but it won't be a $5 SBC like the ones sold daily in their tens of thousands on Amazon.

Thanks for the links. I'll take a look in more detail when I have time. I must have mistaken the Poly and the 2Go share the same board. It's been a long time, but I remember someone posting details of the 2Go board which led me to the $5 SBC conclusion since I'm famliar with the 2Go SBC brand.

I admire your Chord can do no wrong passion. I'm a SQ geek first so if something doesn't suit me I just move on to something that does. I would not mind Poly for convenience, but when it comes to SQ first I need to find my own path.

My portable Music Server should compete with $3K desktop music servers and once I implement state of the art military-use clocks it should compete in the $5k-$10k. If I just needed something for convenience, Poly should be fine if it's working solidly.

I just love where we are at with the options available at this time to pair a nice battery-powered Music Server with a portable/transportable Chord DAC.

I just want to make aware there's more out there if you keep an open mind than being locked up in an iOS/Android/Chi-Fi ecosystem where SQ is constrained and possibly resampled.

For some, buying a Chi-Fi 90 degree cable, Chi-Fi DAP, Poly or installing an app is a exciting solution and that's fine. Since I'm a geek first, that just doesn't do it for me.

I'm out until something more official.

Last edited:
May 1, 2021 at 4:57 PM Post #212 of 10,546
Thanks for the links. I'll take a look in more detail when I have time. I must have mistaken the Poly and the 2Go share the same board. It's been a long time, but I remember someone posting details of the 2Go board which led me to the $5 SBC conclusion since I'm famliar with the 2Go SBC brand.

I admire your Chord can do no wrong passion. I'm a SQ geek first so if something doesn't suit me I just move on to something that does. I would not mind Poly for convenience, but when it comes to SQ first I need to find my own path.

My portable Music Server should compete with $3K desktop music servers and once I implement state of the art military-use clocks it should compete in the $5k-$10k. If I just needed something for convenience, Poly should be fine if it's working solidly.

I just love where we are at with the options available at this time to pair a nice battery-powered Music Server with a portable/transportable Chord DAC.

I just want to make aware there's more out there if you keep an open mind than being locked up in an iOS/Android/Chi-Fi ecosystem where SQ is constrained and possibly resampled.

For some, buying a Chi-Fi 90 degree cable, Chi-Fi DAP, Poly or installing an app is a exciting solution and that's fine. Since I'm a geek first, that just doesn't do it for me.

I'm out until something more official.
You certainly misjudge me if you think that I have a Chord can do no wrong passion.
I have a passion for engineering, and I believe that Chord (plus Rob) have designed/engineered some excellent analogue and digital products. So I count myself as a Chord fan.

However all firms have strong areas and weaker areas, and for a long time I have had the opinion that for Chord, their weaker areas are the need to outsource streamer software, and the difficulty to balance maintaining a strong social media presence on head-fi v the human manhours that are needed to do it properly.
The comment about social media is not a specific dig at Chord, because many hifi manufacturers face the same difficulty, as described in this attached Andrew Everard article.
I openly admit that I have communicated with Matt about the issues raised in the article, plus various ideas/thoughts about different approaches to enable Chord to maintain a strong head-fi presence in the future.
However I have not discussed any further ideas for a year, because I knew from my own experience that once the full impact of covid had become apparent, Matt and his team would be working long hours just trying to keep Chord in existence, and the last thing they needed was me trying to distract them.

Attachments

• andrew_everard.pdf
    671.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 11, 2021 at 5:47 PM Post #215 of 10,546
May 13, 2021 at 8:29 AM Post #217 of 10,546
May 13, 2021 at 9:07 AM Post #218 of 10,546
Ooh someone has inside info...
I am just really curious now. With chip shortages globally, the 2yu still not in the wild after a year, just surprised a bit that a new version was that close. Love my MojoPoly (now after 2.0) and would very likely get the next version if it existed.

May 13, 2021 at 10:50 AM Post #219 of 10,546
I am just really curious now. With chip shortages globally, the 2yu still not in the wild after a year, just surprised a bit that a new version was that close. Love my MojoPoly (now after 2.0) and would very likely get the next version if it existed.
Same.

BTW, love your signature.

May 13, 2021 at 1:44 PM Post #220 of 10,546
Is got to be any time now for the Mojo 2.
I don't have inside information, so I can only give my personal design engineering viewpoint:
  • During the last 5 years, quite a few owners have posted about preferring a usb C connection.
  • During the last 5 years, quite a few owners have posted about preferring a change to the battery management, to allow mojo to be connected to the usb power 24/7
  • During the last 5 years, quite a few owners have posted about preferring a longer battery lifetime
  • During the last 5 years, quite a few owners have posted about preferring more taps
  • Overall there are several axes for improvement for a Mojo 2
On the base of that, I have thought about the 'mojo 2 image' posted on head-fi, and concluded:
  • I cannot convince myself that the image is true - if the image had shown that the entire case was deeper, allowing space for the UsbC socket (so that existing owners could still use Poly1), plus allowing room for a larger battery plus maybe a marginally larger volume so that heat could dissipate easier, plus the extra button to maybe enable a 'desktop mode' to allow Mojo to be connected to the power supply 24/7, I concluded that would be a good Mojo 1.5 compromise to answer most owners feedback without alienating existing Poly owners.
  • The problem is that the image, plus feedback from several other posters, suggests that the Mojo case is only increased in depth around the UsbC socket, so no extra volume to allow a larger battery, or increased volume for heat dissipation caused by extra taps. Apart from the ability to connect UsbC cables, and maybe a 'mode button', none of the other requests by Mojo owners are satisfied.
  • Overall the multiple requests for improvements to Mojo 1 are still valid, but the posted photo for a Mojo 2 does not seem to satisfy improvements to even realise a Mojo 1.5.
  • I think Rob/Chord are cleverer than that. I remain convinced that there will be a Mojo 2 eventually, but I can't convince myself that the posted image is anything but a fake.

Last edited:
May 16, 2021 at 3:27 PM Post #222 of 10,546
I want to buy a Mojo, but they are sold out across the board after a sales markdown from $600 to $500...very typical for pre-release of a v2?
That is what many posters are suspecting, but Chord are usually very tight lipped until the last minute, when they will often post on FB about some online press launch/video.
Quite a few people have posted that dealers are sold out, so maybe your best option is to wait until the Mojo2 launches, and then there may be plenty of dealers advertising pre-owned Mojos.

May 16, 2021 at 3:30 PM Post #223 of 10,546
That is what many posters are suspecting, but Chord are usually very tight lipped until the last minute, when they will often post on FB about some online press launch/video.
Quite a few people have posted that dealers are sold out, so maybe your best option is to wait until the Mojo2 launches, and then there may be plenty of dealers advertising pre-owned Mojos.
Or maybe try to find one used. It could literally be a year before a new version comes out. We just don’t know, but in the meantime you could be enjoying a Mojo.

May 16, 2021 at 3:36 PM Post #224 of 10,546
I want to buy a Mojo, but they are sold out across the board after a sales markdown from $600 to $500...very typical for pre-release of a v2?
There was an interview with someone from Chord and also Rob has confirmed that something of his design went into production, so if you combine these two, something is coming out soon (within a couple of months I read). Will it be Mojo 2? Hard to say

May 16, 2021 at 4:12 PM Post #225 of 10,546
There was an interview with someone from Chord and also Rob has confirmed that something of his design went into production, so if you combine these two, something is coming out soon (within a couple of months I read). Will it be Mojo 2? Hard to say
Yes hard to say, but several hints to build up the speculation levels among fans.
I think the hints have included 4 products, one of which is mobile, plus Robs design (but that could be a Mojo 2). The 2Yu seems to be not far away, but of course that is not a Rob product. You never know, but one of the products could be a new CD transport, to replace the Blu2.

We all just have to cross our fingers, and wait a bit longer.
In the meantime I expect there will be a lot of interest in the streamer firmware updates.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back