Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Jan 27, 2022 at 9:09 PM Post #1,081 of 10,526
The only one worth out of em would be qudelix 5k and still it doesnt stand a chance against Mojo OG
and the Qudelix 5k is not even a DAP. I bought a Hiby R3 Pro to pair it with Mojo and the special case that holds them together nicely. It sounded pretty good, but not as good as the Mojo/Poly combination. And, the R3 user interface is slow and sucks. So, I returned the R3 Pro.

Jan 27, 2022 at 9:38 PM Post #1,082 of 10,526
Very likely too, adding bluetooth would mean sacrificing other features. By far, I'd take any of the other improvements over having BT, which is going to negate the sonic improvements of all the other changes.

Jan 27, 2022 at 10:05 PM Post #1,084 of 10,526
Jan 27, 2022 at 10:10 PM Post #1,085 of 10,526
more taps does not equal better sound...
More taps means closer to the original recording. For sure there are many who do not consider that to be better.

Jan 27, 2022 at 10:29 PM Post #1,086 of 10,526
At the current exchange rate, 449£ is about $480, not $600. Because $120 (90£) is VAT. A VAT is like a sales tax, which is already included in the U.K. U.S. consumer don't pay VAT. But, a problem is that U.S. people do not understand VAT. Hence, U.S. retailers seize the opportunity to keep VAT in their own pocket and make a little more profit. They will more likely sell Mojo 2 at $750. They know people will convert 449£ to $600 due to a lack of knowledge of VAT. They will then justify the extra premium of $150 ($750 - $600) for the international shipping and custom. But, the truth is it's about $10 extra to ship to the U.S. vs. shipping within the U.K. At the end of the day, U.S. consumers think that they paid an extra $150 premium to buy a U.K. product in the U.S. But, actually they paid $270 of premium on top of the normal business margin. This doesn't happen with other goods imported from the U.K. But, it happens with almost all U.K. imported audiophile products.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2022 at 10:29 PM Post #1,087 of 10,526
Tell that to Rob Watts. He's got something like a million taps in his lab currently.

I guess you have not heard the DAVE...
You mean the Dave in my signature and avatar? Lol

Jan 27, 2022 at 10:36 PM Post #1,088 of 10,526
More taps means closer to the original recording. For sure there are many who do not consider that to be better.
In theory yes. In the end it’s personal preference. Sometimes mscaler is better. Sometimes it’s not.

Hugo 2 has more taps than Hugo TT but subjectively the TT sounds better likely due to the better power supply and amp section

Jan 27, 2022 at 10:52 PM Post #1,089 of 10,526
In theory yes. In the end it’s personal preference. Sometimes mscaler is better. Sometimes it’s not.

Hugo 2 has more taps than Hugo TT but subjectively the TT sounds better likely due to the better power supply and amp section
FWIW, this guy thought Hugo TT sounded broken after listening to the Hugo 2:

Jan 27, 2022 at 11:16 PM Post #1,091 of 10,526
Bluetooth on the Hugo 2 is...not good. Even using AptX. Be glad the Mojo 2 put priority on other things. Or be upset that Chord doesn't know how to do Bluetooth well, lol.

Jan 27, 2022 at 11:57 PM Post #1,092 of 10,526
M-Scaler was always better to my ears. I base that on my personal preference where "better" means closer to the sound of live music.

Of course one cannot judge by taps alone. But if everything else is kept constant, doubling taps will result in a more lifelike sound. It will be more revealing too, which isn't always a good thing based on the other components in the chain and one's musical preferences.

Really fascinating to me was to hear the difference between 2 billion and 3 billion taps when using PGGB. You would think that 2 billion would be enough and there couldn't be further improvements beyond that, but that turned out to not be the case. It wasn't difficult to hear the improvements.

I believe the theory tells us that we need an infinite number of taps to perfectly reconstruct the signal. So as long as everything else is kept equal, increasing the number of taps will always take us in the direction of better reconstructing the signal.

Jan 28, 2022 at 12:03 AM Post #1,093 of 10,526
WIW, this guy thought Hugo TT sounded broken after listening to the Hugo 2
That was my reaction when a TT2 showed up and replaced my TT. Broken is an exaggeration of course, but it was the sounds of cymbals that made it seems as though something was amiss with the TT. The TT2 simply made them seem more real and in the room with me. The TT robbed cymbals of some of their natural sheen.

Jan 28, 2022 at 2:16 AM Post #1,094 of 10,526
U.S. retailers will charge a hefty premium. At the current exchange rate, 449£ is about $600. But, $120 (90£) is VAT. A VAT is like a sales tax, which is already included in the price for people in the U.K. But, U.S. people do not need to pay VAT, so the true USD price is $480. However, the U.S. distributors will sell Mojo 2 at $750. They know U.S. consumers are not aware of VAT. Hence, U.S. retailers seize the opportunity to make a little more profit for themselves. At the end of the day, it's about 60% premium versus a consumer in U.K. International shipping, etc? It only takes about $10 extra to ship to the U.S. compared to shipping within the U.K. This happens with every U.K. imported audiophile product.
Living in the UK I actually like the way Chord price their stuff, its a UK company looking after its UK customers as far as prices are concerned.

iFi on the other hand its 599 in all currencies. $599 is around £450 so we pay a lot more for the Gryphon than other regions, despite iFi claiming to be a UK company.

Jan 28, 2022 at 3:15 AM Post #1,095 of 10,526
U.S. retailers will charge a hefty premium. At the current exchange rate, 449£ is about $600. But, $120 (90£) is VAT. A VAT is like a sales tax, which is already included in the price for people in the U.K. But, U.S. people do not need to pay VAT, so the true USD price is $480. However, the U.S. distributors will sell Mojo 2 at $750. They know U.S. consumers are not aware of VAT. Hence, U.S. retailers seize the opportunity to make a little more profit for themselves. At the end of the day, it's about 60% premium versus a consumer in U.K. International shipping, etc? It only takes about $10 extra to ship to the U.S. compared to shipping within the U.K. This happens with every U.K. imported audiophile product.
It’s bad for you guys but it’s very rare for us in the U.K. to get the better end of the stick. Most companies almost treat US$->£ at par when it comes to pricing in the U.K. As a result, we end up paying up to 30% more than you guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back