Chord Mojo 2 EQ settings
Apr 14, 2022 at 10:59 AM Post #16 of 81
Anyone have settings to share for the Sony IER-M9?

So far, I am enjoying EQ: 20 Hz +2 dB; 125 Hz +0 dB; 3 kHz +0 dB; 20 kHz +1 dB, with crossfeed off or at the lowest level.

Apr 21, 2022 at 10:37 PM Post #18 of 81
Last edited:
May 1, 2022 at 11:20 PM Post #19 of 81
Hi,

For those using the Mojo 2, the SE846, and the EQ, what is your setting? Currently I am exploring the sound.

I would like to optimize this EQ as much as possible to get somehow neutral sound with a little sparkle in the treble and the solid bass the SE846 has (without making them V shaped).

The SE846 is wonderful, but definitely very shy in the treble.

Edit: I am trying now with the following EQ: 20 Hz +0 dB; 125 Hz -1dB; 3 kHz +1dB; 20 kHz +3 dB. I am tempted to increase the higher frequencies much more, what I did but it caused fatigue, and I am not so quite sure what would be the upper limit.

What are your thoughts? any recommendations?

Note: I have posted a version of this question in the SE846 thread, and moved it here since it is most probably a better place for it.
I expect you have played about some more but I went quite a bit more aggressive with mine.

I’m using +6dB for both 3kHz and 20kHz
Bass 20Hz (red) 0 (off)
Base 125Hz shelf (yellow) 0 (off)
Treble 3kHz shelf (green) +6dB (+light blue)
Treble 20kHz (light blue) +6dB (+light blue)

It is giving a wonderful flat response that is working well with a broad range of music.

I also have Grado RS1 and they like a different treatment of
Bass 20Hz (red) +7dB (+blue)
Treble 3kHz shelf (green) -6dB (-light blue)

May 4, 2022 at 12:40 PM Post #20 of 81
Hi,

I expect you have played about some more but I went quite a bit more aggressive with mine.

I’m using +6dB for both 3kHz and 20kHz
Bass 20Hz (red) 0 (off)
Treble 3kHz shelf (green) +6dB (+light blue)

It is giving a wonderful flat response that is working well with a broad range of music.

I also have Grado RS1 and they like a different treatment of
Bass 20Hz (red) +7dB (+blue)
Treble 3kHz shelf (green) -6dB (-light blue)

Thanks, I am trying it as well. It sounds great, but unfortunatelly I get fatigue after some time with the treble that loud. I am using the tripple flange tips, which offer a very deep insertion, and probably the high frequencies come too direct in the inner ear. What tips are you using? By the way, I am using the blue standard nozzle without any mod.

After many hours trying different EQs, I am using currently the following:

20 Hz: 0 // 125 Hz: -2 // 3 kHz: +2 // 20 kHz: +1

But I am still trying :)

Last edited:
May 4, 2022 at 4:02 PM Post #21 of 81
Hi,

Thanks, I am trying it as well. It sounds great, but unfortunatelly I get fatigue after some time with the treble that loud. I am using the tripple flange tips, which offer a very deep insertion, and probably the high frequencies come too direct in the inner ear. What tips are you using? By the way, I am using the blue standard nozzle without any mod.

After many hours trying different EQs, I am using currently the following:

20 Hz: 0 // 125 Hz: -2 // 3 kHz: +2 // 20 kHz: +1

But I am still trying :)
I’m using the medium comply foam tips. It might well be my preference for more of the high end sound. I’m 62 so will certainly have lost sensitivity in that range.

edit: forgot to mention blue nozzel for me as well.

Last edited:
May 29, 2022 at 3:59 PM Post #22 of 81
My target is neutral as possible

Sony IERM7: EQ: 20 kHz -6 dB
HD800S; EQ: 20 Hz +6 dB; 125 Hz +1 dB; 3 kHz -1 dB; 20 kHz -1 dB
Campfire Andromeda: EQ: 20 Hz +3 dB; 125 Hz -2 dB; 3 kHz +0 dB; 20 kHz +3 dB
JVC FDX1 (with warmest filters): 20 kHz +3 dB
Softears RSV: no correction needed

Jul 6, 2022 at 5:06 PM Post #24 of 81
Anyone have preferred Mojo 2 EQ settings to share for the Focal Clear (original version)?

Aug 30, 2022 at 6:01 PM Post #26 of 81
I’ve been holding off making this post until I knew I had my EQs dialed in for my Sony IEMs and headphones. It’s been over three weeks since I‘ve had the Mojo 2, so here are my setups (EQ and Crossfeed settings) for the following Sony kit: MDR-Z1R, IER-Z1R, IER-M9, MDR-1A (original, not Mark 2).

Note, The graphs come from the Excel spreadsheet tool created by forum member @jarnopp (search his profile posts for a link). Thanks again to jarnopp for this tool; it has helped me visualize the EQs. I will admit though, that the graphs really don’t represent everything going on in the Mojo 2 DSP, sound wise— especially when you add Crossfeed into the mix—so don’t treat them like parametric EQ and think they are correction curves. Instead, tweek, then listen, and pick what sounds good to you. And tweek in real-time too, while playing a song, to get it to sound just right (the UI is really intuitive once you get used to it).

Note: for me, Crossfeed (CF) is interesting with my kit; it doesn’t just mix left and right channels, it raises the mids and adds some bass; so, in some cases the EQ needs to be modded when the CF changes. I find CF-Red lifts the mids just the right amount for my Sony V-shaped kit for some songs with obvious recessed mids; so even if I say Crossfeed is OFF, I will switch it on if the vocals seem dull or pushed back. I find CF-Green doesn’t change the mids any more than CF1-Red but adds more bass, if fact, too much for my liking with the bass-heavy Sony kit I use, so I don’t use CF-Green. I will use CF-Blue sometimes for old wide stereo mixes or mono stuff though.

———————————

MDR-Z1R:

EQ: +2, +1, -2, 0
Crossfeed-Red: MDR-Z1R has such great soundstage, but the Mojo 2 Crossfeed-Red setting just makes the MDR-Z1R sound correct to my ears with my EQ shown below. I don’t use CF-Green, and I’ll use CF-Blue only rarely with old wide stereo mixes or mono stuff.

If bass is too much for a song, reduce 20Hz to +1 temporarily; otherwise, the added bass balances the treble peak that I can’t dial out with this rudimentary DSP without burying the already recessed mids and lower treble.

MDR-Z1R EQ graph:

1663873111133.jpeg

[new 12-2023] Another option for the MDR-Z1R: NO crossfeed, and… 2, 1, 2, -5

Image.heic

Try both. See which one you like. With crossfeed Red (the first graph) where the crossfeed accentuates the upper mids; and without crossfeed (the second graph) where I added some upper-mid/lower-treble to compensate. Both are excellent. I’m leaning toward the new one (2,1,2,-5).

IER-Z1R

No EQ; Crossfeed-Off. Again, CF-Red if the mids seem recessed (Blue only rarely with old wide stereo mixes or mono stuff).

IER-M9:

EQ: +2, 0, 0, +1

No Crossfeed. Crossfeed Red or Green was a little muddy when I tried it, but lowering 20Hz to +1 would compensate if I wanted CF-Red.

11851759.png

MDR-1A:

+1, -1, 0 , 0
No Crossfeed most of the time (it seems to muddy the presentation on the MDR-1A). But I did like some songs with Crossfeed-Red. And if you really love sub-bass, +2, -1, 0, 0, w/ Crossfeed-Red, is cool every now and then.

11844700.png

I know this graph looks like an EQ that barely modifies the sound, but that little dip removes an annoying bass resonance for me, and nothing else needs modification for me for the 1A to sound great with the Mojo 2.

FWIW, I like the IER-Z1R the best with the Mojo 2, and use that combo the most. Then comes the MDR-Z1R. The MDR-1A are the more convenient closed-back headphone (i.e., smaller/lighter), so I travel with them versus the MDR-Z1R, for when I want to give my ears a break from having IEMs stuffed in them. And the IER-M9 are rarely used but have better noise isolation than the IER-Z1R so I’ll use them outside on the patio where air conditioner noise and neighbors (e.g., lawn mowing) create a noisy environment.

Cheers,
Gus

edited: updated my impressions of crossfeed.
edited: tweaked MDR-Z1R EQ after much more listening
edited: added an alternative MDR-Z1R tuning without crossfeed

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2022 at 8:28 PM Post #27 of 81
Anyone have preferred Mojo 2 EQ settings to share for the Focal Clear (original version)?
No, but I am interested in same, and would be game to kick around some ideas. Even though I have almost no experience with EQ, hah. What sort of target (ish) are you trying to achieve?

I feel like my Clear's are a bit too warm and mid-forward (or really lower-mid forward) with a lot of the rock music I listen to. I almost wish Mojo2 would allow me to cut somewhere in the 300-500hz range. I might try to play around with something like: +2, +1, +2, +2

I’ve been holding off making this post until I knew I had my EQs dialed in for my Sony IEMs and headphones. It’s been over three weeks since I‘ve had the Mojo 2, so here are my setups (EQ and Crossfeed settings) for the following Sony kit: MDR-Z1R, IER-Z1R, IER-M9, MDR-1A (original, not Mark 2).
This is awesome Gus. Now I wish I had some of the same Sony's as you so I could test out your results!

Sep 1, 2022 at 4:43 AM Post #28 of 81
Does anyone here have the EQ settings for Focal Elegia? I just bought the secondhand earlier, It is on the way. I am not sure if it is a good choice to start with a focal lineup. However, I got it at a quite tempting price 😂

Sep 1, 2022 at 11:29 AM Post #29 of 81
What do you all think a good EQ setting for the Sennheiser HD650 and Dunu DK3001 would be? My 3001 is the original version and not the pro version using Effect Audio Thor Silver 2+ cables

Sep 1, 2022 at 11:57 AM Post #30 of 81
No, but I am interested in same, and would be game to kick around some ideas. Even though I have almost no experience with EQ, hah. What sort of target (ish) are you trying to achieve?

I feel like my Clear's are a bit too warm and mid-forward (or really lower-mid forward) with a lot of the rock music I listen to. I almost wish Mojo2 would allow me to cut somewhere in the 300-500hz range. I might try to play around with something like: +2, +1, +2, +2

On the Focal Clears, I was looking for more subbass (I know, open backs are not the best for subbass) and more air in the top end. Once I changed the pads to the Dekoni LTD Stellia pads (sheepskin), I no longer felt the need to EQ. But, those are just my humble ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back