Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Feb 12, 2022 at 11:14 AM Post #42,301 of 42,765
I upgraded from the Mojo 1 to this beauty, thought I'd mention it for the users out there. I was very suprised, but compared to my old mojo-poly combo this is a huge jump. The Hugo has a big wow factor, the sound is far more spread out and spacious, smoother...It's just a lot better as you'd expect.

But here's the thing, the Hugo 1 has aptx bluetooth, and in bluetooth it still sounds better than the mojopoly. Whatsmore it has 10 hours of battery life (compared to my mojo's 8 or so).

In terms of size, its light, the same weight as mojopoly combo (or so close I can't tell). It's footprint is about 20% bigger than my wallet and thicker, but it easily fits on the inside pocket of a jacket and a jean pocket, although the latter is a bit of squeeze.

Why do I mention this? If your use case is desktop dac wired into a PC, and a walkman style scenario where you use bluetooth or wire your mojo into a phone/player, the Hugo is a gigantic step up. I've been testing it for several days and it's taken the place of my mojo 1, easily, no shadow of a doubt, and the extra size is...Well, like I said, vs mojo poly its the same weight so I dont really mind.

£500 on ebay. Imo, if you like the mojo, hunt one down.

hugo.jpg
I'd much rather get the Mojo 2 since it's already tuned to sound more neutral and should be better but since Hugo already has built-in Bluetooth it's pretty convenient. I use to use the Hugo on the train several years ago when I had one and it was great over Apt-X. Another interesting option would be to use this Bluetooth receiver and simply plug it into Mojo, unscrew the other 3.5mm jack and you got yourself a pocketable Mojo with Bluetooth for only $65.

https://www.amazon.com/Linsoul-Blue...d=1644682263&sprefix=xduoo+blue,aps,77&sr=8-1

Feb 12, 2022 at 11:21 AM Post #42,302 of 42,765
I'd much rather get the Mojo 2 since it's already tuned to sound more neutral and should be better but since Hugo already has built-in Bluetooth it's pretty convenient. I use to use the Hugo on the train several years ago when I had one and it was great over Apt-X. Another interesting option would be to use this Bluetooth receiver and simply plug it into Mojo, unscrew the other 3.5mm jack and you got yourself a pocketable Mojo with Bluetooth for only $65.

https://www.amazon.com/Linsoul-Bluetooth-Lossless-Turntable-XD-05Plus/dp/B0814VX79S/ref=sr_1_1?crid=131E89FQA42WJ&keywords=xduoo+bluetooth&qid=1644682263&sprefix=xduoo+blue,aps,77&sr=8-1
see this
Dedicated Bluetooth Add-on for XDuoo XD05 or Chord Mojo ! https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/xduoo-05bl-pro-with-chord-mojo.24752/

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2022 at 11:37 AM Post #42,303 of 42,765
I upgraded from the Mojo 1 to this beauty, thought I'd mention it for the users out there. I was very suprised, but compared to my old mojo-poly combo this is a huge jump. The Hugo has a big wow factor, the sound is far more spread out and spacious, smoother...It's just a lot better as you'd expect.

But here's the thing, the Hugo 1 has aptx bluetooth, and in bluetooth it still sounds better than the mojopoly. Whatsmore it has 10 hours of battery life (compared to my mojo's 8 or so).

In terms of size, its light, the same weight as mojopoly combo (or so close I can't tell). It's footprint is about 20% bigger than my wallet and thicker, but it easily fits on the inside pocket of a jacket and a jean pocket, although the latter is a bit of squeeze.

Why do I mention this? If your use case is desktop dac wired into a PC, and a walkman style scenario where you use bluetooth or wire your mojo into a phone/player, the Hugo is a gigantic step up. I've been testing it for several days and it's taken the place of my mojo 1, easily, no shadow of a doubt, and the extra size is...Well, like I said, vs mojo poly its the same weight so I dont really mind.

£500 on ebay. Imo, if you like the mojo, hunt one down.

It’s funny how we hear things differently and have different sonic profile preferences. I “upgraded” from this to mojo 1. Hugo 1 and 2 just weren’t doing it for me.

I also “upgraded” from Ayre AX5 twenty to V5xe. My dealer thought I was deaf 🤣

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2022 at 12:34 PM Post #42,304 of 42,765
I am almost interested in the Hugo 1 as something useful to move around, but another user here gave strong recommend of the Hugo 2 or TT2 with M Scaler for endame until going full DAVE....
f that Hugo 1 moving price goes down a bit more though I doubt I will be able to help myself.
If it helps, the Hugo 1 has a smaller footprint than a sony casette walkman, which people carried around for over a decade happily.
I think people overeestimate the advantage of portability, like the iphone mini crowd, but maybe that's just me. I switched from a mini to a pro max, and for one day I was like eww, and then, never noticed it. I did notice the much bigger screen and battery though.

The exact same has happened switching Mojo poly for Hugo. I find the Hugo just fine in my jacket pocket, but the difference between it and the mojo in SQ...Very noticeable, plus the extra 3 hours of battery is very nice.

I want to try the Mojo 2 next, this review got me pretty psyched. I highly doubt it sounds as good as Hugo, as reviewers say mojo 1 - mojo 2 is incremental, and the change of mojo 1 - Hugo 1 is pretty stark. Still could be a good one.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2022 at 5:07 PM Post #42,305 of 42,765
Have a @ChordElectronics @Mojo ideas @Rob Watts Mojo2 on order and fingers crossed for this week (in Canada). Fairly recently, I noticed my Mojo1 was getting about 4 hours on a charge and would not get more than a Green LED of charge. Purchased a new battery on eBay which shipped out of the Los Angeles area. Arrived today and took about 5 or 10 minutes to change out. Was really surprised to see just how much the original had swollen! The PCB was firmly stamped into the soft pad. The original battery had a 10/15 Mfg date. Working just fine. Going to test again after a full charge. The Mojo1 has a healthy new lease on life as my MacBook Pro Max DAC as the Mojo2 will be paired with the Poly. (Do wish Apple had maintained the optical on the earphone jack). Very pleased!

Feb 14, 2022 at 5:59 PM Post #42,306 of 42,765
Have a @ChordElectronics @Mojo ideas @Rob Watts Mojo2 on order and fingers crossed for this week (in Canada). Fairly recently, I noticed my Mojo1 was getting about 4 hours on a charge and would not get more than a Green LED of charge. Purchased a new battery on eBay which shipped out of the Los Angeles area. Arrived today and took about 5 or 10 minutes to change out. Was really surprised to see just how much the original had swollen! The PCB was firmly stamped into the soft pad. The original battery had a 10/15 Mfg date. Working just fine. Going to test again after a full charge. The Mojo1 has a healthy new lease on life as my MacBook Pro Max DAC as the Mojo2 will be paired with the Poly. (Do wish Apple had maintained the optical on the earphone jack). Very pleased!

If you need a simple, and inexpensive USB->SPDIF(Toslink) adapter, the Reiyin DA-02 works well.
I don't have a Mac, but it works with my PC, when I ran Windows 7, and now that I'm running Kubuntu Linux.
https://www.amazon.com/Reiyin-Digital-Converter-Adapter-Optical/dp/B077D1VCL8

Feb 14, 2022 at 6:14 PM Post #42,307 of 42,765
Feb 14, 2022 at 6:30 PM Post #42,308 of 42,765
Feb 14, 2022 at 9:49 PM Post #42,309 of 42,765
Feb 14, 2022 at 11:30 PM Post #42,310 of 42,765
Optical needs good clock from the source . Not sure how good was clock in the MacBook and hence the optical signal from it may had lot of jitter. USB will be better

Feb 15, 2022 at 5:21 PM Post #42,311 of 42,765

New battery life just over 7 hours on first charge
  • On constantly for the whole session
  • With Poly (Yellow on power when Mojo turned off)
  • 2 Red orbs as volume
  • Campfire Cascade
Well worth the effort!

Feb 17, 2022 at 2:46 PM Post #42,312 of 42,765
If it helps, the Hugo 1 has a smaller footprint than a sony casette walkman, which people carried around for over a decade happily.
Well I wouldn't say happily - they were pretty bulky in the early days, but nobody complained because it was the only thing we had back then. At least it was self contained meaning we didn't need to have to deal with other devices to feed it, apart from the tape itself which fitted right into the walkman.

I honestly couldn't imagine carrying something the size of that again when for all intents and purposes smartphone audio is already way better than serviceable.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2022 at 3:07 PM Post #42,313 of 42,765
I agree. For actual portable use true wireless is where the market is at now. I for one would not even consider putting a brick in my pocket with wires sticking out.

Feb 20, 2022 at 11:47 AM Post #42,314 of 42,765
What cable exactly does this use for Coaxial? I was wanting to experiment with using Optical and Coax from my USB converter. I see one place with one however Im all set with 100 bucks forone cable. There must be a cheaper alternative to at least try out for now?

Feb 21, 2022 at 2:59 AM Post #42,315 of 42,765
Good morning all, since I am not getting any reply on the Chord Mojo issue thread, I hope you don't mind that I post my question here:

Hi all,

Recently I was thinking about upgrading my cables between my Chord Mojo and iPhone. What I was using:

- Standard Micro USB to USB cable
- Apple lightning to USB A adapter (https://www.apple.com/nl/shop/product/MD821ZM/A/lightning-naar-usb-camera-adapter)

What I bought was:

- Audioquest Carbon dragontail (https://www.iear.nl/product/audioqu...MI58SR_u2I9gIVmOF3Ch04GgUUEAQYASABEgJAn_D_BwE)
- Audioquest Carbon USB -> Lightning (https://artsexcellence.com/audioquest-carbon-usb-a-to-lightning.html)

This seemed like a nice upgrade to me. But when testing the setup (Mojo -- dragontail -- carbon USB -> lighting -- iPhone), it didn't work.

Seems like the iPhone needs the standard Apple adapter.

I now ordered a Audioquest Carbon USB to Micro USB cable. I want to use this in combination with the standard Apple adapter. This will work, but here are my questions:

- Will I lose audio quality when using the Carbon cable with the standard Apple adapter?
- Are there any better setups that I can think of when using Audioquest cables in combination with the iPhone and Mojo?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back