Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jun 2, 2020 at 12:46 PM Post #40,336 of 42,765
You connect the charger port for power. That's basically it. Kinda the same like using it normally when you're out of battery. Just that this time you won't charge the battery or degrade the life of the battery, and it runs cooler since it doesn't charge the battery or us it anymore.

Edit: I was watching this video, and it was pretty easy to do. Basically I'll remove the connector from the battery when using on the desktop, and connecting it back when using it on the go, a little hassle but worth it.

Just use an allen key to open it up. Open it up slowly upside down so the marbles parts won't fall off like in the video, and just remove the connector slowly, and close it up.

You can also replace the battery easily, if you ever want to change it, or just remove it completely if you're using it for desktop only.

I feel its too much of a hassle to open it and better to get a separate Desktop DAC

Jun 2, 2020 at 12:51 PM Post #40,337 of 42,765
You connect the charger port for power. That's basically it. Kinda the same like using it normally when you're out of battery. Just that this time you won't charge the battery or degrade the life of the battery, and it runs cooler since it doesn't charge the battery or us it anymore.

Edit: I was watching this video, and it was pretty easy to do. Basically I'll remove the connector from the battery when using on the desktop, and connecting it back when using it on the go, a little hassle but worth it.

Just use an allen key to open it up. Open it up slowly upside down so the marbles parts won't fall off like in the video, and just remove the connector slowly, and close it up.

You can also replace the battery easily, if you ever want to change it, or just remove it completely if you're using it for desktop only.

The USB charger port can only take 5V, while the internal battery supplies 7.4V., i would think this would decrease the performance with harder to drive headphones?
Have you noticed any difference?

Jun 2, 2020 at 12:56 PM Post #40,338 of 42,765
I feel its too much of a hassle to open it and better to get a separate Desktop DAC
Yeah that's true, but I just wanna use the Mojo only for testing atm, since I just bought it.

The USB charger port can only take 5V, while the internal battery supplies 7.4V., i would think this would decrease the performance with harder to drive headphones?
Have you noticed any difference?
I haven't notice any difference performance wise, but I'm only driving the Focal Elear with it or my Audeze LCD-3. I don't have any of those 300 ohms headphones to really test it out for you sadly.

Jun 2, 2020 at 2:01 PM Post #40,339 of 42,765
Yeah that's true, but I just wanna use the Mojo only for testing atm, since I just bought it.

I haven't notice any difference performance wise, but I'm only driving the Focal Elear with it or my Audeze LCD-3. I don't have any of those 300 ohms headphones to really test it out for you sadly.

Actually planars like the LCD-3 require a fair amount of power to bring up their potential. I would expect a reduction from 7.4V to 5V (almost 50%) in available voltage applied to the circuitry to be noticeable, at least in theory.

Jun 2, 2020 at 2:03 PM Post #40,340 of 42,765
Actually planars like the LCD-3 require a fair amount of power to bring up their potential. I would expect a reduction from 7.4V to 5V (almost 50%) in available voltage applied to the circuitry to be noticeable, at least in theory.
Fair point. But I haven't tested it as much with the LCD-3 yet, since I just bought my Elear as well :sweat: Just loving my Elear too much atm. I'll let you know when I get back on the LCD-3, i'll see if there is any difference.

Jun 2, 2020 at 2:15 PM Post #40,341 of 42,765
Fair point. But I haven't tested it as much with the LCD-3 yet, since I just bought my Elear as well :sweat: Just loving my Elear too much atm. I'll let you know when I get back on the LCD-3, i'll see if there is any difference.

Thank you, i look forward to your results as i am considering the battery diconnection/removal option myself.

Jun 2, 2020 at 2:29 PM Post #40,342 of 42,765
Thank you, i look forward to your results as i am considering the battery diconnection/removal option myself.

Be aware that many have experienced a noise (coil whine I have been told) after disconnecting the battery. Would happy if you could do it and report if the noise is present or not.

Jun 2, 2020 at 2:37 PM Post #40,343 of 42,765
Be aware that many have experienced a noise (coil whine I have been told) after disconnecting the battery. Would happy if you could do it and report if the noise is present or not.
I heard the complete opposite. Those that has noise, disconnects it for the purpose of eliminating the noise, and it works for quite a few people who has this issue.

Personally for me, I don't have any noise issue. It's really clean with the Mojo, without battery or with the battery connected.

Jun 2, 2020 at 3:20 PM Post #40,345 of 42,765

There's another video on Youtube showing a different option, that is to cut off the leads at the battery end while leaving the leads and connector connected to the board. A DC plug (see accessories in the attached photo) is then connected to the leads and somehow fitted to the casing. This allows you to supply 7.5V from a wall wart device (to mimic the 7.4V battery) - instead of 5V from USB. With this mod you can also power the Mojo from an external/portable battery pack and retain portability.

Screen Shot 2020-04-23 at 5.57.20 PM.png

Jun 2, 2020 at 3:47 PM Post #40,346 of 42,765
That's very interesting :astonished: Might try it out at some point.

Jun 2, 2020 at 4:45 PM Post #40,348 of 42,765
sidetrack, i sure hope we will see a Mojo 2 in 2020 :p

That would be cool. I have one aspect on my wishlist for the Mojo 2.

It's concerning the amount of taps. Rob recently doubled taps between Hugo and Hugo 2. Also between 2Qute and Qutest.) Meanwhile there was a said bit of battery life loss with the Hugo 2 over Hugo. I am hoping that Rob will rather than double Mojo taps in Mojo 2, use less of a leap forward in tap numbers. Thus leaving power for battery life, instead of more intense processing. Battery life of Mojo should in my view stay 8+ hours. Especially since Poly battery outlasts Mojo.

Before that winds anyone up though, I'll explain. We were told the Mojo had 38,000 tap filer running at half speed. Like a 19,000 filter. Well I would rather only see Mojo 2 advance to maybe no more that 30,000 taps. (Not a strict doubling to 38,000 taps running at full speed.) Any more would bring it perilously close to the Hugo 2. I realise of course the difference between Hugo/2 level DACs and Mojo are more than just taps. The output stage is more complex on the Hugo 2, than Mojo.

I am waffling so take what I say with a pinch of salt. However a Mojo 2 with doubled taps over Mojo, would be 38,000 taps at full speed. That could make the Mojo pricey as well. Maybe in the £1000 region.

Having said so much though and massive leap forward for a Mojo 2, would seriously rock! Even if it did mean a slight drop in battery life over Mojo. (I bet anything around 26,000 taps would still outperform all DAPs on the market. It's Hugo 1 level taps that. Hugo may have had more other stuff than Mojo/Mojo 2 though.) … Mojo is still a great DAC though. Still can't believe my ears when I use it. Considering I have Hugo 2 and TT2, that makes Mojo a good DAC.

Jun 2, 2020 at 5:10 PM Post #40,349 of 42,765
If a Mojo 2 ever appeared, I'd agree with you. I love the Mojo sound, so I wouldn't want it radically different.
Perhaps another feature, as recent posts seem to follow the main trend of concern for those who use Mojo mainly as a desktop DAC, would copy what Sony have included in the ridiculously named Xperia 1 II mobile. Namely HS power. In a nutshell it is for gamers. HS stands for heat suppression. What it does is exactly what so many Mojo users have taken apart the Mojo to achieve. When connected to a charger and a game is being played, the phone does not charge the battery, just uses the charger to power the phone. This means the phone can divert more power to the CPU, GPU, Memory and screen etc, to improve gaming performance and protect the battery and phone chipsets from excessive heat.
I think a Mojo 2 that had that feature would be a huge success.

Jun 2, 2020 at 5:18 PM Post #40,350 of 42,765
Well a Mojo TT was discussed at some point ages ago. There was a reply from John Franks, so they know folk are asking for a Mojo TT.

If Mojo 2 battery life extended to maybe ten hours (or even a touch more), paired with Poly. That could blow all competition away. (When I was thinking Poly or DAP, I chose a Sony ZX300 for battery life.) A theoretical ten hours plus with Mojo 2/Poly would be seriously considerable.

I often wondered too, if they would make a Mojo 2/Poly all in one piece of aluminium. It could have USB pass though, for those that might use it for desktop.

While I keep talking about Poly, I never bought one yet. Maybe never will, but I still read the poly thread, and have read almost every post. To be honest though, a lot of it is jargon to me and goes over my head.

Damn good fun speculating.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back