Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Feb 12, 2019 at 11:04 PM Post #38,146 of 42,765
Would a fancy high dollar moon audio usb-c to micro-usb OTG cable do anything in regards to shielding out some cellular interference from my Pixel 3 XL? I don’t want to waste money on a cable that expensive if it doesn’t shield or blog out the EMI any better than the cheap cable I am using now.

Feb 13, 2019 at 12:40 AM Post #38,147 of 42,765
I boought a cable from peno audio (usb-c to micro-usb silver) I had the impressions that it helped with EMI but I think the headphone or IEM cables pick-up the most of EMI so while I have the impressions that it did improve something, it isn't perfect at all. Make sure that you have a good headphone cable first I would say. Or if you have a longer cable, and find a comfortable and practical way not to stack them on top of each other, that might actually help more.

Feb 13, 2019 at 12:58 AM Post #38,148 of 42,765
Would a fancy high dollar moon audio usb-c to micro-usb OTG cable do anything in regards to shielding out some cellular interference from my Pixel 3 XL? I don’t want to waste money on a cable that expensive if it doesn’t shield or blog out the EMI any better than the cheap cable I am using now.
Adding a clip on ferrite to the cable is another popular solution for RFI. It normally costs maybe one or two dollars, so is a cheap solution to test first.

Feb 13, 2019 at 1:11 AM Post #38,149 of 42,765

I have a serious EMI/RFI in my phone->mojo setup. I replaced the mojo cable with a cheap metallic otg adapter and a shielded USB cable with 2 clip-on ferrites at each end. The 3D effect has returned and the harshness has disappeared so far. YMMV

Feb 13, 2019 at 11:44 PM Post #38,151 of 42,765
I have not checked in on this thread in a while.

Is there talk about a Chord Mojo II yet? Seems like a smaller unit with balanced is called for. Also one that runs cooler.

Nope. Balanced is not better.

From Chord:

Hello I have posted about this some time ago
The primary reason many Dacs have a balanced internal topology is try to overcome switching noise that has been induced into the Dac chips substrate. Balanced circuitry though causes other distortions that should be avoided. Chord Dacs have no substrate switching noise because the switching elements are seperated from the FPGA and more importantly from the analogue circuitry. So because we don't use standard Dac chips that can suffer from these problems. Therefore we do not have no need to used a balanced internal topology so we don't!

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2019 at 6:20 PM Post #38,154 of 42,765
Just wow, I used a very cheap 5 dollar ebay cable on my HD 650 with the shielded Monoprice ferrite choke usb cable and Jitterbug, and it was like I was using the Canare mini star quad cable, before I got the Jitterbug and the shielded cable, yet the sound was even cleaner with the new setup!

Now the vocals and bass are as present as ever, and the price of the Mojo justifies the sound now. It's crazy how much the shielded ferrite USB cable and Jitterbug clean up the sound.

I HIGHLY recommend ferrite chokes and the Jitterbug, if you're using laptop USB as a source. It just makes the Mojo that much more cleaner and engaging

Feb 14, 2019 at 8:13 PM Post #38,156 of 42,765
Just wow, I used a very cheap 5 dollar ebay cable on my HD 650 with the shielded Monoprice ferrite choke usb cable and Jitterbug, and it was like I was using the Canare mini star quad cable, before I got the Jitterbug and the shielded cable, yet the sound was even cleaner with the new setup!

Now the vocals and bass are as present as ever, and the price of the Mojo justifies the sound now. It's crazy how much the shielded ferrite USB cable and Jitterbug clean up the sound.

I HIGHLY recommend ferrite chokes and the Jitterbug, if you're using laptop USB as a source. It just makes the Mojo that much more cleaner and engaging

If anything i would have thought that that the ferrites would make the vocals darker and richer by taking a bit of the edge off the treble which would otherwise give the impression of brighter and more forward vocals. When i switched to opitcal the sound became a touch darker and treble was not in the spotlight as much.

Feb 14, 2019 at 8:13 PM Post #38,157 of 42,765
I can't find the post that said how to achieve 2v line out or 2.4v line out? How many clicks down?

4 clicks down from line level mode=1.9V.

Caution, this will now be remembered when powered off so adjust before plugging in headphones.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2019 at 8:27 PM Post #38,158 of 42,765
If anything i would have thought that that the ferrites would make the vocals darker and richer by taking a bit of the edge off the treble which would otherwise give the impression of brighter and more forward vocals. When i switched to opitcal the sound became a touch darker and treble was not in the spotlight as much.
While the whole sound is smoother, it's not darker and actually easier now to hear the vocals than before, giving them a more forward, stronger presence. Same with the bass response, which was lackluster before the Jitterbug and ferrite core cable.

Feb 14, 2019 at 8:31 PM Post #38,160 of 42,765
Are you outputting a bitperfect signal to Mojo?
I'm outputting both bitperfect and just via the browser using the same sample rate of the song I'm playing via the settings, but fixed 32 bit depth. Strangely 32 bits sounds cleaner than 24 and 16 bits on the browser, don't know why.

Both sound great now, while bitperfect still sounds the best (obviously)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back