Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Dec 6, 2017 at 5:03 AM Post #34,636 of 42,765
I will take the advice and I will listen to the Mojo everyday, iPhone, Tidal, HD650.

My afraid is about its "power" on the HD650 300ohm that maybe is not too much to drive them as they want to be.

Just initial thoughts yet.

I have the HD 600s and I find the Mojo to be plenty to drive them, although I do prefer the sound out of the Jotunheim as fed by the mojo. Either way I never use the Mojo when it's plugged into power and that's because I've found that anything with an audio out and a battery sounds enormously better on battery power versus plugged in. I don't find this an inconvenience at all - in desktop mode the mojo sits on top of the Jot (also in black :)) and I simply unplug the power, plug in the USB to my laptop and listen. When I'm done, unplug the Laptop USB and plug in the power USB. No different than my phone or any other portable device. I use Anker Powerline+ USB cables ... not sure if they make a difference, but I like them better than regular USB cables just on feel / looks :)

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2017 at 12:05 PM Post #34,637 of 42,765
Alright so im new to the site but not forums and I know I should take some time to use the search function properly but I'm in a pinch here. My mojo tells me that Tidal is only playing in the 44hrz region. no mater the song, even checked out hi-fi's December playlist. still red. I'm playing from an Iphone 6. Is that the best quality I can get from the app? Are higher rates only reserved for desktops?

Dec 6, 2017 at 12:21 PM Post #34,638 of 42,765
Alright so im new to the site but not forums and I know I should take some time to use the search function properly but I'm in a pinch here. My mojo tells me that Tidal is only playing in the 44hrz region. no mater the song, even checked out hi-fi's December playlist. still red. I'm playing from an Iphone 6. Is that the best quality I can get from the app? Are higher rates only reserved for desktops?

Not quite sure what you mean.

Mojo only plays what it's given and doesn't alter the sampling rate of the music being played. If you're on red indicated by the power button, then you're at 44.1KHz.

Mojo can play music up to 768KHz as indicated on the box. It can play this from any source. Some have found that you need high quality digital cables for the Mojo to receive at 192KHz or above. (I think that was over optical.)

My guess is check if you're device is putting music out at the rate which you want. If Tidal says it's playing at 44.1KHz, then the Mojo will show red therefor 44.1KHz.

Dec 6, 2017 at 12:51 PM Post #34,639 of 42,765

Tidal HiFi and below are 44.1 kHz sample rate while Tidal Masters are 88 or 96 kHz. The only Tidal Apps that support Master quality streaming are the PC (Windows and Mac) Apps. My guess is that it has to do with the processing power needed to unfold the MQA files, but that is just speculation on my part.

Dec 6, 2017 at 1:28 PM Post #34,640 of 42,765
Tidal HiFi and below are 44.1 kHz sample rate while Tidal Masters are 88 or 96 kHz. The only Tidal Apps that support Master quality streaming are the PC (Windows and Mac) Apps. My guess is that it has to do with the processing power needed to unfold the MQA files, but that is just speculation on my part.

This. Most all Tidal songs are CD quality. And controversially I'll say to hear a difference above that requires some nice equipment and good ear. I stream tidal 96 tracks like Diana Krall into the mojo and into a jotunheim, listening with either an HD600 or Th-X00, and I'll be damned if I can hear any difference between CD quality and above. In fact i think that's why CD quality is 44.1, it's so good most people won't hear any difference [science-y justification words go here].

Granted if I threw a hi-res file stored on a non-system disk into a metrum pavane and Zana Deux or WA22 maybe I could tell ...

but tell me i'm wrong, are there people here who can blind identify a tidal file streamed above 44.1 through an iphone and mojo? Seems iffy.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2017 at 1:48 PM Post #34,641 of 42,765
This. Most all Tidal songs are CD quality. And controversially I'll say to hear a difference above that requires some nice equipment and good ear. I stream tidal 96 tracks like Diana Krall into the mojo and into a jotunheim, listening with either an HD600 or Th-X00, and I'll be damned if I can hear any difference between CD quality and above. In fact i think that's why CD quality is 44.1, it's so good most people won't hear any difference [science-y justification words go here].

Granted if I threw a hi-res file stored on a non-system disk into a metrum pavane and Zana Deux or WA22 maybe I could tell ...

but tell me i'm wrong, are there people here who can blind identify a tidal file streamed above 44.1 through an iphone and mojo? Seems iffy.

It depends a lot on what the master file is and what DAC you're using. On the Mojo it's hard to identify the difference due to upsampling, especially if the 44.1 version is simply downsampled from a higher frequency version. Also on the Mojo, DSD and DXD sound exactly the same to me, on my other DAC the difference is unmistakable.

Dec 6, 2017 at 2:05 PM Post #34,642 of 42,765

If you can not hear any difference, you are not wrong. Just as much as you believe you can not hear any difference there are those who believe they can, so for those individuals you are wrong. Since the mid 1940's 44.1 kHz was considered all the sample rate that was necessary to provide the maximum quality that humans could perceive. I personally do not care to discuss the realness of the various positions. My quoted response was made only to provide information on what Tidal provides without opinion on the merits of MQA or Tidal Masters.

Dec 6, 2017 at 3:06 PM Post #34,643 of 42,765
If you can not hear any difference, you are not wrong. Just as much as you believe you can not hear any difference there are those who believe they can, so for those individuals you are wrong. Since the mid 1940's 44.1 kHz was considered all the sample rate that was necessary to provide the maximum quality that humans could perceive. I personally do not care to discuss the realness of the various positions. My quoted response was made only to provide information on what Tidal provides without opinion on the merits of MQA or Tidal Masters.

Sounds like you're saying I'm totally right, which seems pretty reasonable :neutral_face:

only thing I'd add is that by "not hear any difference" I mean in blind testing, which is the only way to test IMO. I like to be able to confidently point and say "that's better" and i can't do that if the testing isn't blind.

Dec 6, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #34,644 of 42,765
Sounds like you're saying I'm totally right, which seems pretty reasonable :neutral_face:

only thing I'd add is that by "not hear any difference" I mean in blind testing, which is the only way to test IMO. I like to be able to confidently point and say "that's better" and i can't do that if the testing isn't blind.

Not wrong within the scope of your physiology, equipment and experience is not exactly the same as totally right in my world. Blind testing removes bias, but presents some interesting challenges to Rob’s concept of training your brain to recognize the differences.

Dec 6, 2017 at 3:44 PM Post #34,645 of 42,765
I see, I was under the impression for a moment that Masters and Hi-fi were the same thing, but I downloaded the desktop app and see there's a difference. Putting aside all the hooplah regarding whether or not you can hear the difference, it still makes me happy to see something other than red on the mojo :)

Dec 6, 2017 at 3:49 PM Post #34,646 of 42,765
I see, I was under the impression for a moment that Masters and Hi-fi were the same thing, but I downloaded the desktop app and see there's a difference. Putting aside all the hooplah regarding whether or not you can hear the difference, it still makes me happy to see something other than red on the mojo :)

I’ve been streaming 24/192 downloads via Onkyo HF on my iPhone and iPad. It is nice to see the blue versus red light, even better is the improved sound!

Dec 6, 2017 at 4:05 PM Post #34,648 of 42,765

Sorry but that doesn't make any sense. 44.1 kHz is just above twice the limit of human hearing due to... mathematical reasons.

Dec 6, 2017 at 4:29 PM Post #34,649 of 42,765
actually even after searching for master files on tidal desktop that gosh darn mojo wont turn from red to blue... when I play music from the onkyo HD app I get a blue light. The mystery remains unsolved :frowning2:

I do not know if your desktop is Windows or Mac, but to setup the Tidal app do the following:

Connect the Mojo to your PC (USB)
Turn on the Mojo
Open the Tidal app
Open settings in the Tidal app
Select Streaming
Under Quality select Master
Under Sound Output select Mojo
Move your cursor to the right of Mojo to expose a gear icon - click it
Under Mojo select Use Exclusive Mode
Under Mojo select Force Volume

This sets the Tidal app to output at maximum volume to the Mojo bypassing the PC sound card.

Hope it helps. Good luck.

Dec 6, 2017 at 4:39 PM Post #34,650 of 42,765
I do not know if your desktop is Windows or Mac, but to setup the Tidal app do the following:

Connect the Mojo to your PC (USB)
Turn on the Mojo
Open the Tidal app
Open settings in the Tidal app
Select Streaming
Under Quality select Master
Under Sound Output select Mojo
Move your cursor to the right of Mojo to expose a gear icon - click it
Under Mojo select Use Exclusive Mode
Under Mojo select Force Volume

This sets the Tidal app to output at maximum volume to the Mojo bypassing the PC sound card.

Hope it helps. Good luck.

Just followed you're instructions to a T and I no longer have red balls. Now I have red, green and blue balls. Sounds pretty damn good though in my DT 1770's too. Gracis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back