Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Aug 2, 2017 at 4:28 PM Post #33,331 of 42,765
Yep same here, I guess I could class myself as a music first audiophile. I have never turned down an album due to how bad it may be mastered but I have turned down albums if I just don't like it musically.
I can only speak for myself, but the Mojo impact has been that I started to relisten to old favourite albums that I had not listened to for years, plus listen to new genres such as jazz and classical.
This music tends to be listened to at two levels:
  • in the car during my commute - some albums sound Mehh... but others make me think 'worth listening to in better quality via Mojo'
  • So the Mojo has expanded my musical horizons, and long may it continue with the Hugo 2 as well.
I have adopted the concious stategy of just buy the best at a particular pricepoint (Mojo, then Hugo 2), and enjoy the music for a while.
The Mojo and Hugo 2 can both reveal the shortcomings of some old old jazz recordings (say 20s to 60s), but still both enable enjoyment in the music, if one just listens to it. :relaxed:

Aug 2, 2017 at 6:48 PM Post #33,332 of 42,765
Thanks for the fast reply ! :) . I am using the JRiver and the Windows media player , and I tried 2 computers , one surface pro and other i7 , both with Win 10 . The sound is like the old TVs , when you have the channel bad configured , very low and on the background . Maybe is normal :/

Make sure in the Jriver settings your Mojo is set to the ASIO output, that makes sure it bypasses the rest of the un-needed audio path and go's right to the Mojo. If you can use the Jriver volume to change the level, then your not on the right setting. I used the Mojo with Jriver 10 and have great sound. My regular setup is Jriver 10 through the Hugo 1 also with no issues.

Aug 2, 2017 at 7:28 PM Post #33,333 of 42,765
I can only speak for myself, but the Mojo impact has been that I started to relisten to old favourite albums that I had not listened to for years

Same here. It's quite an experience for familiar music to sound so much better!

I'm still on the lookout for a more aggressive DAC (with more physical, incisive, explosive dynamics) at or under its price range, though. The Schiit Modi Multibit is the closest I've gotten to that, but both times I owned it, it made mysterious crackling/popping sounds. (Never happened with other DACs.) The manufacturer could not replicate the issue during testing, so it must have been something strange going on in my system. I only used it with USB. Not sure if TOSLINK (which is what I usually use now) would fix it. (It wasn't a ground loop, since I already fixed that.)

Aug 2, 2017 at 8:58 PM Post #33,335 of 42,765
Aug 2, 2017 at 9:13 PM Post #33,336 of 42,765
I am glad to report that, with the 5V 2A wall charger I bought, the Mojo doesn't overheat and shut off anymore, even after many hours of use.

(I tested for weeks to be sure. I do turn the Mojo off when not using it, though, and also have it placed upright for better heat dissipation.)

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2017 at 6:18 PM Post #33,337 of 42,765
Hi,

In "Audio MIDI SETUP", should you always choose 768 000 Hz as the format? Or which one is the best? Which format did you guys pick for your Mojo? And should you just pick it once and be done with it? Should you change format depending on what goes through the Mojo?

My other DAC (the DAC for my speakers) has many more alternatives to pick from (it's the Gustard X12, actually bought it for the Auedeze LCD-2 I've previously had).

Thanks in advance!

Screen Shot 2017-08-04 at 00.11.59.png
Screen Shot 2017-08-04 at 00.13.33.png
Screen Shot 2017-08-04 at 00.13.33.png Screen Shot 2017-08-04 at 00.11.59.png Screen Shot 2017-08-04 at 00.13.18.png Screen Shot 2017-08-04 at 00.13.26.png Screen Shot 2017-08-04 at 00.13.40.png Screen Shot 2017-08-04 at 00.13.33.png

Aug 3, 2017 at 7:10 PM Post #33,338 of 42,765
Pick the sampling rate that is the same as the music file. If listening to lossy MP3 or AAC or lossless CD quality FLAC, WAV, AIFF or ALAC then you would choose 16/44.1. If listening to higher bit depth or sampling rate music then choose the one that corresponds to that bit depth and sampling rate. The up-sampling algorithm in the Mojo is much better than what the OSX up-sampling can do so you want to send the file as-is with no up-sampling is the recommendation from the designer.

Aug 3, 2017 at 10:55 PM Post #33,339 of 42,765
In "Audio MIDI SETUP", should you always choose 768 000 Hz as the format? Or which one is the best? Which format did you guys pick for your Mojo? And should you just pick it once and be done with it? Should you change format depending on what goes through the Mojo?

If possible, just use bit-perfect output (ASIO, KS, or WASAPI) in your music player, which bypasses your computer's settings and sends an exact copy of the data of each file to the DAC.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2017 at 11:39 PM Post #33,340 of 42,765
If possible, just use bit-perfect output (ASIO, KS, or WASAPI) in your music player, which bypasses your computer's settings and sends an exact copy of the data of each file to the DAC.

OS X doesn't have those options FYI

Aug 3, 2017 at 11:52 PM Post #33,341 of 42,765
Aug 3, 2017 at 11:53 PM Post #33,342 of 42,765
Thank you! So I think I've figured out the "problem", the songs where probably always playing in the correct sample rate but it didn't change on the mojo until I used it in exclusive mode. So I guess the Mojo will be red all the time even if you play higher samples. I wasn't playing any other audio while I was using Tidal. But I guess the Mojo thinks there is other audio playing?

Man I can't even use exclusive mode. I try it and first my PC gets a BSOD, then nothing plays upon next boot. It's maddening.

Aug 4, 2017 at 12:20 AM Post #33,343 of 42,765
Man I can't even use exclusive mode. I try it and first my PC gets a BSOD, then nothing plays upon next boot. It's maddening.

Some programs or apps don't like WASAPI, especially when the sample rate is different from the current one used. Use ASIO to avoid these issues.

Aug 4, 2017 at 1:19 AM Post #33,344 of 42,765
Yep same here, I guess I could class myself as a music first audiophile. I have never turned down an album due to how bad it may be mastered but I have turned down albums if I just don't like it musically.

Yep. One of my favourite albums is Hawkwind - Doremi Fasol Latido. .... (Or, doh-ray-me-fa-so-la-tee-doh, for those who didn't spot it.)

It was meant to have been recorded in a barn with matresses on the walls for acoustics. The whole album was meant to have been completed in about four takes. .... I love it though. Sounds great on Mojo, haha.

Excellent rock album, and a gateway album for newcomers to Hawkwind, I think.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2017 at 2:42 AM Post #33,345 of 42,765
I am still trying to work out of the LG G5 SE supports OTG.

I have asked on, http://www.tomsguide.com/forum/id-3486532/support-usb-otg.html

I re-emailed LG, but they said the G5 Se did not support OTG before. Contradictory to all reviews.

Does anyone please have any suggestions where else I should ask? There doesn't seem to be a dedicated mobile phone forum on Head-Fi that I could use. I will try at a few mobile phone shops, but it's quite an old phone now. .... Anyway I have ordered an OTG cable for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back