Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Aug 1, 2017 at 10:52 PM Post #33,302 of 42,765
Oh boy...splurged on a $900 floorstanding speaker system (Klipsch RP-250F & Behringer KM750) but paid significantly less since the speakers were used.

It won't arrive until around a week from now. Anxious about how towers will perform in a bedroom...but hey, one step at a time, as they say...

That power amp can output more than a thousand times as much power as the Mojo at 8 ohms!

I am nowhere near rich and get the feeling I'll be tempted to sell off most of my other gear yet again to recuperate. I wonder which not-too-expensive DACs that I haven't owned yet are more aggressive and dynamic than the Mojo without sacrificing too much refinement.

Aug 1, 2017 at 10:59 PM Post #33,304 of 42,765
Oh boy...splurged on a $900 floorstanding speaker system (Klipsch RP-250F & Behringer KM750) but paid significantly less since the speakers were used.

It won't arrive until around a week from now. Anxious about how towers will perform in a bedroom...but hey, one step at a time, as they say...

That power amp can output more than a thousand times as much power as the Mojo at 8 ohms!

I am nowhere near rich and get the feeling I'll be tempted to sell off most of my other gear yet again to recuperate. I wonder which not-too-expensive DACs that I haven't owned yet are more aggressive and dynamic than the Mojo without sacrificing too much refinement.

Sounds like you picked yourself a good setup. Soundvisionreview.com likes them! You seemed to really like the 2qute you had, why not try that on the new setup?

Aug 1, 2017 at 11:01 PM Post #33,305 of 42,765

Wow floor standing speakers in the bedroom, why not your livingroom?

make sure to get some spikes for the speakers and thick granite slabs to sit on. :thumbsup:

Aug 1, 2017 at 11:04 PM Post #33,306 of 42,765

make sure to get some spikes for the speakers and thick granite slabs to sit on. :thumbsup:

From what I seen online they are a small set of floorstanders. Shouldn't be a problem in a smaller room.

Aug 1, 2017 at 11:14 PM Post #33,307 of 42,765
Sounds like you picked yourself a good setup. Soundvisionreview.com likes them! You seemed to really like the 2qute you had, why not try that on the new setup?

Read the part in the quote about money. I've mentioned here multiple times that I downgraded from the 2Qute to cheaper DACs (including the Mojo) primarily for financial reasons. Now that I've gone deeper down the rabbit hole, I may be inclined to sell the Mojo and (temporarily) use an even cheaper, but more aggressive-sounding DAC. Crazy thing is, all this is without any "official" work, since I've been living off an inheritance this year. I'll probably stick with DACs under $500 until the Hugo 2.

My system is in my bedroom and I'd rather not bring it down to the living room for the time being. (I like to listen to music while doing other things on the computer, and I tend to spend most of my time in this room.)

There's a platform at the bottom of the cabinet and it includes spiked feet as well.

From what I seen online they are a small set of floorstanders. Shouldn't be a problem in a smaller room.

Yeah, they're not exactly large. (36.10” x 7.87” x 14.82”) My nearfield speakers on stands are taller.

Aug 1, 2017 at 11:19 PM Post #33,308 of 42,765

As for the amp, I almost bought a Behringer A500 a ways back. There is a ton of good feed back on the a500. I was looking at the specs of the KM750, they look similar. I also see it says class AB, IMO that is a good choice over some of the Behringer digital stuff. I know that's funny because I have a digital amp. I only base that opinion on reviews I have seen. I'm very interested to hear your thoughts after its all set up.

Aug 1, 2017 at 11:24 PM Post #33,309 of 42,765
This is just me, I will spend more if it gets me the sound im after. I did the small step at a time thing before. You end up spending more money in the end when you constantly keep upgrading. I bit the bullet on my stuff and never looked back lol! If the Hugo 2 is what you want I say do it as soon as you can!

Aug 1, 2017 at 11:33 PM Post #33,310 of 42,765
This is just me, I will spend more if it gets me the sound im after. I did the small step at a time thing before. You end up spending more money in the end when you constantly keep upgrading. I bit the bullet on my stuff and never looked back lol! If the Hugo 2 is what you want I say do it as soon as you can!

Eh...well...my endgame system would be in the five to six figure range, so small steps are my only choice. (Incidentally...read through my profile. ahaha)

Aug 1, 2017 at 11:37 PM Post #33,311 of 42,765
Eh...well...my endgame system would be in the five to six figure range, so small steps are my only choice. (Incidentally...read through my profile. ahaha)
I get that, but why buy an other cheep DAC and know you want the Hugo 2. Just hold on to the Mojo for now and get the 2. Do what you want its your money lol That's just me. I don't like taking one step forward and then two back lol. I think with your new speakers, amp and the Hugo 2 you will really have something!

Aug 1, 2017 at 11:45 PM Post #33,312 of 42,765
I get that, but why buy an other cheep DAC and know you want the Hugo 2. Just hold on to the Mojo for now and get the 2. Do what you want its your money lol That's just me. I don't like taking one step forward and then two back lol. I think with your new speakers, amp and the Hugo 2 you will really have something!

I thought I explained clearly: I would potentially sell the Mojo and use a cheaper DAC for awhile in order to recuperate some of the money I recently lost. I may need it, after all. And the Hugo 2 would just be another temporary solution, since I'd eventually want Chord's best.

Aug 2, 2017 at 12:14 AM Post #33,313 of 42,765
@Music Alchemist I've read quite a few of your posts on the forum for a while now and i noticed you're on an ongoing journey to purchase some best audio equipment available. While i respect your passionate approach to the hobby, buying and selling a lot of gear (which can be quite fun) it can also be a lot of side steps and money wasting. Have you thought about hitting a point where you can settle on some decent midrange gear to keep you busy for a long period of time until you can afford very high end / "the best" ?

You'll find that many people that need to upgrade or sidegrade often turn out to love the equipment more than the music and those who have no problem with much longer stretches between purchasing, love the music more than the equipment. I suppose it doesn't help that some manufacturers in this game seem to release new or revised products every month lol.

Anyway just interested in your thoughts.
Deftone.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2017 at 12:46 AM Post #33,314 of 42,765
@Music Alchemist I've read quite a few of your posts on the forum for a while now and i noticed you're on an ongoing journey to purchase some best audio equipment available. While i respect your passionate approach to the hobby, buying and selling a lot of gear (which can be quite fun) it can also be a lot of side steps and money wasting. Have you thought about hitting a point where you can settle on some decent midrange gear to keep you busy for a long period of time until you can afford very high end / "the best" ?

You'll find that many people that need to upgrade or sidegrade often turn out to love the equipment more than the music and those who have no problem with much longer stretches between purchasing, love the music more than the equipment. I suppose it doesn't help that some manufacturers in this game seem to release new or revised products every month lol.

Anyway just interested in your thoughts.
Deftone.

Music is my life. But with the wrong equipment, I can't enjoy music nearly as much. Finding your ideal system is a seemingly neverending endeavor for some, including myself, and I see nothing wrong with that. You mentioned sticking with "decent midrange gear" for awhile...but the thing is, even headphones in the four figure range don't meet my standards as a lifelong musician who wants convincing realism at the push of a button. Since transitioning to speakers, I've gotten closer to the level of realism I seek, but my journey is just beginning. I'm not the type of person who is satisfied to sit idly by, even with stuff I love. I'm always striving toward greater heights. If you have something more specific to say, I'll gladly listen.

Aug 2, 2017 at 3:13 AM Post #33,315 of 42,765

Website for that power amp says 'for the working musician'. It is suitable and is being used by people in hifi setups? I know I never mix my hifi and guitar/PA equipment as they have very different aims.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back