Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jul 31, 2017 at 11:14 PM Post #33,271 of 42,765
It just has been confusing for many who can't figure out why it can't be used as an amp only. Also, there's so many comments that the DAC is great but the amp isn't. So yes, technically it's good to be clear about how it's put together.

I was more trying to get at the fact that its geared towards OTG with headphones, at home it will work but its not going to blow anyone away IMO. Also I don't think I would try driving any speakers from my Mojo anytime soon lol

Jul 31, 2017 at 11:20 PM Post #33,272 of 42,765
Yes you are right, Hugo 1 and 2Qute are very similar. I think the fact that the Hugo is running off its battery and that you have control over output power makes it play better with more gear IMO. I have heard about others who had trouble with a 2Qute sounding bright.

I thought it only had a slight tinge of brightness. I really enjoyed the realism I got with the 2Qute. The Mojo is just a temporary solution until I figure out the timing for speaker and DAC upgrades.

If you want to get all technical, then the Mojo is a great DAC that's able to drive headphones from its analogue stage.

But to be clear (for those with misconceptions, not necessarily you), there are six parallel transistors in the output stage of the DAC, so it still has amplification in there. (As does any DAC, but Chord has adapted them to drive headphones too.)

I was more trying to get at the fact that its geared towards OTG with headphones, at home it will work but its not going to blow anyone away IMO. Also I don't think I would try driving any speakers from my Mojo anytime soon lol

I still like the Mojo more than the Modi Multibit, iFi micro iDSD, etc. at home.

I'm glad I found a power amp that can drive pretty much anything for just $150. Now I just have to worry about whether tower speakers would work in my bedroom. (They're still shorter than my monitors on stands, but some say you should sit eight feet or more away from floorstanders.)

Jul 31, 2017 at 11:36 PM Post #33,273 of 42,765
I will say for others setups the 2Qute may sound much better then what I experienced. It could simply be its not compatible with my pre. My dealer did warn me of a possible impedance match problem between the 2Qute and some gear. That may have been what was going on. I'm happy I ended up with a Hugo and a Mojo. Not only did I like the sound of the Hugo 1 better, I liked that it can go portable if I want to. There is nothing wrong with using the Mojo at home, just keep in mind it can only do so much at its price point. I see people expecting it to be a giant killer. I love my Mojo but IMO the Hugo is far better in my home system then the Mojo is. Not only because of SQ but I like the inputs better and the fact that they are switchable. I'm also not a fan of using a "Y" adapter to go from 1/8th to RCA plugs but that's just me. As long as your happy with how your own setup is sounding, is all that matters. I forgot to mention I like having volume control on the Hugo as well.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #33,274 of 42,765
I think I just bought the wrong smartphone to use as a file source with Mojo.

I bought an LG G5 SE.

I emailed LG before I bought it and told them how I wanted to use it.
1. With the LG add on DAC and use it as a walkman
2. With the Chord Mojo as an external DAC.

This was part of their reply:
"the only feature that has been removed from the G5 SE is the VR functionality, as OTG support has been dropped"

I read that a few times and didn't recognise it meant Virtual Reality, which doesn't matter to me. (I just thought, "Ah some feature, I probably wouldn't use anyway".) However I managed to not 'take in' that they were saying there is no OTG, (On The Go).

If there's no OTG, then surely that means it will not work with the Mojo.

Oddly though, this review says the LG G5 SE does support OTG. (If you scroll down to where is says LG G5 SE Interfaces.) http://www.wovow.org/review-lg-g5-se-modular-smartphone/

This states USB OTG compatibility.. http://gadgets.ndtv.com/lg-g5-se-3452

The LG website says, USB 2.0, Type-C. http://www.lg.com/uk/mobile-phones/lg-H840

Gsmarena also state it has OTG support. http://www.gsmarena.com/lg_g5_se-8056.php

Please anyone?

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2017 at 1:20 PM Post #33,275 of 42,765

I bought an LG G5 SE.

"the only feature that has been removed from the G5 SE is the VR functionality, as OTG support has been dropped"

I read that a few times and didn't recognise it meant Virtual Reality, which doesn't matter to me. (I just thought, "Ah some feature, I probably wouldn't use anyway".) However I managed to not 'take in' that they were saying there is no OTG, (On The Go).

Oddly though, this review says the LG G5 SE does support OTG. (If you scroll down to where is says LG G5 SE Interfaces.) http://www.wovow.org/review-lg-g5-se-modular-smartphone/

The LG website says, USB 2.0, Type-C. http://www.lg.com/uk/mobile-phones/lg-H840 Type-C refers to the standard type of plug/socket, but it does not mean that they have been wired up to enable OTG functionality.

Gsmarena also state it has OTG support. http://www.gsmarena.com/lg_g5_se-8056.php

Please anyone?

Aug 1, 2017 at 2:01 PM Post #33,276 of 42,765
I was wondering if anyone could further my knowledge on the sound quality of the mojo and if i can improve from my phone...basically i have paired the mojo with a galaxy s7 via usb ... a fiio x7 via usb...a opus1 via optical ...and via usb on laptop .
Now in my opinion the best sound i am getting is via usb out of laptop, opus1 optical second and both the usb x7 and galaxy s7 last ...should the x7 and galaxy s7 be more or less equivilant as laptop as they are only being used as transport ?.

Aug 1, 2017 at 2:43 PM Post #33,277 of 42,765

I bought an LG G5 SE.

The LG website says, USB 2.0, Type-C. http://www.lg.com/uk/mobile-phones/lg-H840

Please anyone?

I had nothing but bad luck with Android and my Mojo. The Samsung phone I have (grand prime) does not have USB OTG. It was very hard to find online if it had OTG, the real test was when i pluged in the OTG Plug and then the Mojo with no sound. I also tested on a Samsung tablet, I can't remember the model right now with no luck. From what I have seen there are very few android phones that have USB OTG. I ended up buying an Ipad mini 3, because as far as I know all apple devices have USB OTG with the camera connection kit. After using the Mojo with the Ipad using Tidal, I am nothing but happy. I now have HD audio anywhere I go. The Mojo is a huge step up form headphones plugged in to only the Ipad. I am using Sennheiser momentum headphones as of now. If you already have the Mojo you could test it on a display phone to be sure it works. You will need an OTG cable. Hope this helps some.

Aug 1, 2017 at 3:31 PM Post #33,279 of 42,765
@miketlse
@ve3fnd

I am in a position where I can return the phone, since it has not yet been delivered.

I think the only way to find out if it will work is to try it, maybe in a shop. It's not a new phone though, so would be hard to find. If the phone packaging is open I could do a quick try.

Really sad to hear that Android and Mojo are awkward. I thought everyone was doing fine.

Am feeling quite dismal about the prospects of this going well.

Aug 1, 2017 at 3:35 PM Post #33,280 of 42,765
I had nothing but bad luck with Android and my Mojo. The Samsung phone I have (grand prime) does not have USB OTG. It was very hard to find online if it had OTG, the real test was when i pluged in the OTG Plug and then the Mojo with no sound. I also tested on a Samsung tablet, I can't remember the model right now with no luck. From what I have seen there are very few android phones that have USB OTG. I ended up buying an Ipad mini 3, because as far as I know all apple devices have USB OTG with the camera connection kit. After using the Mojo with the Ipad using Tidal, I am nothing but happy. I now have HD audio anywhere I go. The Mojo is a huge step up form headphones plugged in to only the Ipad. I am using Sennheiser momentum headphones as of now. If you already have the Mojo you could test it on a display phone to be sure it works. You will need an OTG cable. Hope this helps some.
Only the 'top of the range' Samsung phones were OTG.

Aug 1, 2017 at 4:04 PM Post #33,281 of 42,765
I was wondering if anyone could further my knowledge on the sound quality of the mojo and if i can improve from my phone...basically i have paired the mojo with a galaxy s7 via usb ... a fiio x7 via usb...a opus1 via optical ...and via usb on laptop .
Now in my opinion the best sound i am getting is via usb out of laptop, opus1 optical second and both the usb x7 and galaxy s7 last ...should the x7 and galaxy s7 be more or less equivilant as laptop as they are only being used as transport ?.
  1. Phones in general would be the noisiest option, because they generate RFI when they broadcast, and their internal components also generate electrical noise. Remember also that most people stack their phone and Mojo together, so there is little distance between the phone aerial and the USB cable connecting the phone to the Mojo. Some phones are notoriously noisy, but others are fairly quiet. You can often get rid of most/all of the RFI by adding a cheap ferrite choke to the USB cable. If you still get some electrical noise (Rob Watts posts that low level electrical noise, can fool the brain into hearing music as 'brighter', but some people do enjoy this brightness), you can do some trial and error with the phone settings, and alter the priority of some of the activities (eg screen refresh). Even so, I found it difficult to make my phone 100% silent, and some noise could still be heard during very quiet music passages.
  2. High spec DAPs are usually quiet anyway, firstly because they are not trying to regularly transmit to the local cell tower. Using optical removes the risk of low level electrical noise. I have found that optical (from my computer) is a clearer music source, but lacked the slight brightness that I could hear when using USB.
  3. USB from laptop - as mentioned in bullet point 2, I used to detect brightness when connecting my ten year old desktop to Mojo via USB. Rob Watts has posted that he finds his modern laptop to be very quiet when operating off battery, but when connected to the mains, he can sometimes detect some mains noise that has passed through the ground plane of the laptop circuit board, and then through the USB cable.
Overall I think your findings are much as I would expect.

Aug 1, 2017 at 4:15 PM Post #33,282 of 42,765
  1. Phones in general would be the noisiest option, because they generate RFI when they broadcast, and their internal components also generate electrical noise. Remember also that most people stack their phone and Mojo together, so there is little distance between the phone aerial and the USB cable connecting the phone to the Mojo. Some phones are notoriously noisy, but others are fairly quiet. You can often get rid of most/all of the RFI by adding a cheap ferrite choke to the USB cable. If you still get some electrical noise (Rob Watts posts that low level electrical noise, can fool the brain into hearing music as 'brighter', but some people do enjoy this brightness), you can do some trial and error with the phone settings, and alter the priority of some of the activities (eg screen refresh). Even so, I found it difficult to make my phone 100% silent, and some noise could still be heard during very quiet music passages.
  2. High spec DAPs are usually quiet anyway, firstly because they are not trying to regularly transmit to the local cell tower. Using optical removes the risk of low level electrical noise. I have found that optical (from my computer) is a clearer music source, but lacked the slight brightness that I could hear when using USB.
  3. USB from laptop - as mentioned in bullet point 2, I used to detect brightness when connecting my ten year old desktop to Mojo via USB. Rob Watts has posted that he finds his modern laptop to be very quiet when operating off battery, but when connected to the mains, he can sometimes detect some mains noise that has passed through the ground plane of the laptop circuit board, and then through the USB cable.
Overall I think your findings are much as I would expect.

Ok thanks and thanks for the thorough explanation, seems as though I will stay prefering the mojo through usb laptop which I think is fantastic.

Aug 1, 2017 at 4:18 PM Post #33,283 of 42,765
Ok thanks and thanks for the thorough explanation, seems as though I will stay prefering the mojo through usb laptop which I think is fantastic.
The Mojo in DAC only mode is fantastic. I use it as my DAC for my Pro iCan and they work very well together.

Aug 1, 2017 at 4:22 PM Post #33,284 of 42,765
If there is noise, you should hear it. It's simple.

If the phone is transmitting or receiving and Mojo is picking it up, you will hear it. Same for noise through the mains, which I rarely have heard, but lately I've heard humm leaking through the usb cable connected to a wallplug. Obviously it was grounding issue, and my iems were picking it up even when touching Mojo.

It's more of an issue with sensitive headphones.

Aug 1, 2017 at 4:28 PM Post #33,285 of 42,765
Glad that you have found an overall system that enables you to enjoy your music.
I am probably fortunate that my desktop is so old, that it has an optical output, so I was able to compare usb and optical from the same source. Optical provided a very clean signal, which resulted in music sounding like a very precise copy of the original recording. USB added that low level of electrical noise, which made the music brighter, giving the impression of listening to the actual performance of the music. I tended to favour optical for most music.
Interestingly enough, now that I also have the Hugo 2, both the optical and USB seem to sound the same - that slight brightness with USB has disappeared.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back