Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jun 3, 2017 at 2:53 PM Post #32,506 of 42,765
USB gives me clicks and pops... doesn't seem to work.

that seems to throttle me at 44.1khz (red light on Mojo) for all resolutions (Fiio app and Hibymusic, I recognize Tidal will always be red). is that normal or am I doing something wrong?

I would double check to make sure you are using the latest Firmware.

0417172113a.jpg 0417172119.jpg
That is 24/96 on both USB & Coax.
0601171153.jpg <- Tidal via Coax, not being upsampled.

Jun 3, 2017 at 5:58 PM Post #32,507 of 42,765
I would double check to make sure you are using the latest Firmware.

That is 24/96 on both USB & Coax.
<- Tidal via Coax, not being upsampled.

got the coaxial working--is it accurate that it will only play nice with Mojo and higher resolutions when using the Fiio Music app?

and another question--does the volume change when you raise or lower the volume on the x5iii while using the USB to Mojo? because that's not right, is it? volume seems fixed with coaxial but not USB.

i hate this thing :frowning2:

Jun 3, 2017 at 6:21 PM Post #32,508 of 42,765
iOS 10.3.2 broke USB power functionality through the Apple CCK. the audio will stop playing through Mojo but the iOS device will show the song as still playing.

but the problem still exists. tried out Fiio x5iii and it seems that doesn't work through USB to Mojo either... going to return the x5iii. waiting patiently for Poly!

I have same problem with the Mojo through iPhone now. After I restart my phone I have 15-30 sec of playback then nothing until I restart the phone again. I get the "does not support this device message."

Jun 3, 2017 at 6:41 PM Post #32,509 of 42,765
got the coaxial working--is it accurate that it will only play nice with Mojo and higher resolutions when using the Fiio Music app?

and another question--does the volume change when you raise or lower the volume on the x5iii while using the USB to Mojo? because that's not right, is it? volume seems fixed with coaxial but not USB.

You should check the Fiio X5iii thread. You can have the Line-Out be set to fixed or adjustable. I do not think you can via Coax, but USB can be adjusted via volume. I prefer it that way, as I use the RM1 remote quite often. I'm sure Fiio will put a fix in via firmware for people who don't like it. Personally, it looks like you are looking for reasons to get rid of it, just sell it then. Get something else. I don't have issues with it and Mojo. Since this is the Mojo thread, this should be taken over and asked at the X5iii thread if you need further info.

Jun 3, 2017 at 7:20 PM Post #32,510 of 42,765

Volume is adjustable through USB and you should maximize the volume using USB audio out from the X5iii. This shouldn't be the case but it is. FiiO said they are working to improve the USB audio but I have little faith in their attention to the matter at this point (especially since it was an advertised feature at launch). Coaxial output has limitations with the Kbps (the data rate) and when going over around 5000 Kbps there is a white noise output from coaxial. What this means is basically 24/192kHz tracks from the X5iii's coaxial output may produce very audible white noise over the music.

Also, even with the volume maxed on the X5iii when using USB audio out it is still more quiet than the coaxial out. This tells me FiiO has a lot of work to do on the USB audio output for the X5iii. I'm disappointed in the X5iii as a transport for these reasons.

You should check the Fiio X5iii thread. You can have the Line-Out be set to fixed or adjustable. I do not think you can via Coax, but USB can be adjusted via volume. I prefer it that way, as I use the RM1 remote quite often. I'm sure Fiio will put a fix in via firmware for people who don't like it. Personally, it looks like you are looking for reasons to get rid of it, just sell it then. Get something else. I don't have issues with it and Mojo. Since this is the Mojo thread, this should be taken over and asked at the X5iii thread if you need further info.

Coaxial out is not adjustable like line-out (as you mention). Two completely different outputs that just happen to share the same port.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2017 at 7:55 PM Post #32,512 of 42,765
Volume is adjustable through USB and you should maximize the volume using USB audio out from the X5iii. This shouldn't be the case but it is. FiiO said they are working to improve the USB audio but I have little faith in their attention to the matter at this point (especially since it was an advertised feature at launch). Coaxial output has limitations with the Kbps (the data rate) and when going over around 5000 Kbps there is a white noise output from coaxial. What this means is basically 24/192kHz tracks from the X5iii's coaxial output may produce very audible white noise over the music.

Also, even with the volume maxed on the X5iii when using USB audio out it is still more quiet than the coaxial out. This tells me FiiO has a lot of work to do on the USB audio output for the X5iii. I'm disappointed in the X5iii as a transport for these reasons.

Coaxial out is not adjustable like line-out (as you mention). Two completely different outputs that just happen to share the same port.

thank you for your insight on this.

Jun 3, 2017 at 8:13 PM Post #32,513 of 42,765
I swear the only flaw is the inability to charge/use out of one cable. Paired up with the 1more quad and it's a near perfect experience for my tastes.

Jun 3, 2017 at 10:01 PM Post #32,514 of 42,765
Hmm working fine? Power light looks red/orange to me, shouldnt 96khz be green... ?

You're right. Looks like it may be resampling to 88Khz (lights were dimmed)... Hmmmm. Now I need to play with this a bit more.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2017 at 3:25 AM Post #32,515 of 42,765
You're right. Looks like it may be resampling to 88Khz (lights were dimmed)... Hmmmm. Now I need to play with this a bit more.

96kHz displays green for some albums and also yellow for others from the X5iii for me. Like I said, not the best implementation currently. Also found 192kHz is displaying as green.

Jun 4, 2017 at 7:42 AM Post #32,516 of 42,765
HI,

So I've just got a Mojo to use with my iPhone 7 via Silver Moon cable + CCK. I'm also getting cut outs every 30secs to few mins. Need to disconnect the cable then re-connect.
Any fixes / hacks for this?

At the moment it's unusable.

Jun 4, 2017 at 9:26 AM Post #32,518 of 42,765
96kHz displays green for some albums and also yellow for others from the X5iii for me. Like I said, not the best implementation currently. Also found 192kHz is displaying as green.

I've been looking to sell the X5iii and Mojo anyway and move upscale to a higher end DAP. Looking to no longer stack. This inconsistency is pretty much the push I needed. They're both up on the for sale forums. Now to spot myself a DAP that will fill the need of quality and not require stacking.

Jun 4, 2017 at 10:22 AM Post #32,519 of 42,765
I've been looking to sell the X5iii and Mojo anyway and move upscale to a higher end DAP. Looking to no longer stack. This inconsistency is pretty much the push I needed. They're both up on the for sale forums. Now to spot myself a DAP that will fill the need of quality and not require stacking.

Only heard one DAP at any price which I find comparable to a Mojo or Hugo combo. And that's the QP1R.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back