Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
May 6, 2017 at 11:08 PM Post #32,116 of 42,765
Feel fortunate not to have updated to 10.3X but I'm curious about something I haven't seen mentioned yet. I have an Ipod Touch that I use with Mojo. I have zero interest in combining my iphone with music. Of those of you having issues is anybody using an ipod touch? Is the problem limited only to the iPhone?

Last edited:
May 7, 2017 at 1:35 AM Post #32,117 of 42,765
Feel fortunate not to have updated to 10.3X but I'm curious about something I haven't seen mentioned yet. I have an Ipod Touch that I use with Mojo. I have zero interest in combining my iphone with music. Of those of you having issues is anybody using an ipod touch? Is the problem limited only to the iPhone?

yes i am having issues: using a mojo and ipod touch 6.
and it's all messed up now after i upgraded to 10.3.1.
so don't do it.

Last edited:
May 7, 2017 at 5:29 AM Post #32,118 of 42,765
I am having no issues with ipod touch 10.3.1 with dropouts using official cck.

May 7, 2017 at 8:41 AM Post #32,119 of 42,765
Im using Mojo as a DAC to feed my Stax system (SRM 323S + Lambda Nova Signature & PRO), and this is by far the best source i have try. Great synergy, better than Marantz HD-DAC1, Audiolab M-DAC, Hegel HD11 and few others... Very rich and realistic sound. :)
I recalled that you have marantz dac1, hows that compare to mojo? im planning to upgrade my mojo to something better but below $1000 used. I usually use hd800SDR for my daily driver

May 7, 2017 at 8:56 AM Post #32,121 of 42,765
If you only need a desktop solution, and no headphone out, then a used 2qute would give you improved sound quality.
what about amp? do i need another amp for 2qute?

May 7, 2017 at 10:06 AM Post #32,122 of 42,765
I need to know one thing as I don't want to destroy my mojo: when I turn the unit on in 3V line level mode (I also use it as a desktop dac connected to an integrated amp), can I then control the volume from the mojo itself just like its normal use with headphones? What I didn't get, if once the unit is in line level output the volume should not be touched at all.

May 7, 2017 at 10:39 AM Post #32,123 of 42,765
I need to know one thing as I don't want to destroy my mojo: when I turn the unit on in 3V line level mode (I also use it as a desktop dac connected to an integrated amp), can I then control the volume from the mojo itself just like its normal use with headphones? What I didn't get, if once the unit is in line level output the volume should not be touched at all.

Line level mode is just a short cut to a 3V output signal.

1 - If you do not touch the volume balls, then the 3V output will not be remembered next time you switch on the Mojo, so you will have to select Line level again.
2 - If instead you do touch the volume balls, you can adjust the voltage in just the same manner as when using headphones, however Mojo will remember this output level when you next switch Mojo on. This will cause no problem to Mojo, but could blow a pair of sensitive iems, or your hearing - so always remember to reduce the volume to a low level before you switch your Mojo off.

May 7, 2017 at 10:46 AM Post #32,124 of 42,765
what about amp? do i need another amp for 2qute?
2Qute has fixed 3V output, so you cannot adjust the volume/voltage.
2Qute was originally designed to be connected to either a preamp or a headphone amp. It gets excellent reviews on Head-Fi (and the Naim forum), so could be an option for you if you only need a desktop solution (but you will need an amp of some sort).
2Qute cannot replace Mojo for mobile use cases, because it does need a power supply.
There is a 2Qute thread on Head-Fi.

May 7, 2017 at 12:39 PM Post #32,125 of 42,765
Line level mode is just a short cut to a 3V output signal.

1 - If you do not touch the volume balls, then the 3V output will not be remembered next time you switch on the Mojo, so you will have to select Line level again.
2 - If instead you do touch the volume balls, you can adjust the voltage in just the same manner as when using headphones, however Mojo will remember this output level when you next switch Mojo on. This will cause no problem to Mojo, but could blow a pair of sensitive iems, or your hearing - so always remember to reduce the volume to a low level before you switch your Mojo off.
Thanks for your reply.
So far I've always used the volume balls when in 3V output, sometimes above, sometimes below the fixed 3V output (is this wrong to do?). I've read somewhere that controlling the volume directly from the mojo is much better - quality wise - than any digital volume control (I use JRiver with disabled volume in this case).

Now, should one never go above the fixed 3V purplish color output when using it as a desktop dac connected to an integrated amp? I'm a bit ignorant about voltages and stuff (also related to amps..)...

Last edited:
May 7, 2017 at 12:44 PM Post #32,126 of 42,765
Hi everyone, I hope you are all well.

I just wanted to say it has come to my attention that post #3 has had its formatting (specifically all the nested spoilers) destroyed by the forum changover.

Those of you who know how much work has gone into that post, incrementally, during the past 2 years, will understand that I am mightily cheesed-off about this, but there seems little I can do about it, if the forum software won't properly support nesting.

I am currently considering my options, but extracting all the nested content into a long list will make such an enormous amount of information vastly more-cluttered.

In any case, all the best to you all (and I hope those of you with iDevices get a fix for Apple's latest breakage of CCK functionality).

May 7, 2017 at 12:46 PM Post #32,127 of 42,765
Thanks for your reply.
So far I've always used the volume balls in 3V output, sometimes above, sometimes below the fixed 3V output. I've read somewhere that controlling the volume directly from the mojo is much better - quality wise - than any digital volume control (I use JRiver with disabled volume in this case).

Now, should one never go above the fixed 3V purplish color output when using it connected to an integrated amp? I'm a bit ignorant about voltages and stuff (also related to amps..)...

It all depends on the amplifier.
The standard was defined as 2V in the days when CDs were first produced (3V and then four presses of the -ve ball will get you to 1.9V, which is close enough), but some amplifiers are happy with 5V.
You need to read the user manual for your amp, and see if the max input voltage is mentioned.

May 7, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #32,128 of 42,765
It all depends on the amplifier.
The standard was defined as 2V in the days when CDs were first produced (3V and then four presses of the -ve ball will get you to 1.9V, which is close enough), but some amplifiers are happy with 5V.
You need to read the user manual for your amp, and see if the max input voltage is mentioned.
My amp is a NAD C326BEE..i'll investigate it :) Thanks again for your help! (I've edited the previous post a bit meanwhile)

Last edited:
May 7, 2017 at 12:51 PM Post #32,129 of 42,765
Hi everyone, I hope you are all well.

I just wanted to say it has come to my attention that post #3 has had its formatting (specifically all the nested spoilers) destroyed by the forum changover.

Those of you who know how much work has gone into that post, incrementally, during the past 2 years, will understand that I am mightily cheesed-off about this, but there seems little I can do about it, if the forum software won't properly support nesting.

I am currently considering my options, but extracting all the nested content into a long list will make such an enormous amount of information vastly more-cluttered.

In any case, all the best to you all (and I hope those of you with iDevices get a fix for Apple's latest breakage of CCK functionality).

Welcome back @Mython .
One option for you would be a wiki style, with the welcome page containing the main contents list, and then a child page for each main topic section.

I had been thinking that some sections of post #3 that were very useful 18 months ago (cables etc), may get less visits in future now that the cable pack exists, and Poly will soon make cables a thing of the past for some users.

May 7, 2017 at 1:15 PM Post #32,130 of 42,765
Here https://nadelectronics.com/product/c-326-stereo-integrated-amplifier/ it says under the "Line level input, Pre-out" tab, 2V in 2V out. Does that mean that I have to set mojo line level to 1.9V (4 clicks vol. down from the 3V output)? What could happen if I keep it at 3V even if the amp specs says 2V?

The manual says:
Maximum input signal >8 Vrms (ref. 0.1 THD)

I'm confused on which is the correct thing I need to know.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back