Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jan 11, 2017 at 6:42 PM Post #28,951 of 42,773
help please:
to guys using the mojo (or even a dragonfly red) as dac preamp
(say from laptop) to powered monitors with separate subwoofer:
 what cables and configuration would you need  for them..say the focal alpha 50s below?

i currently have the audioenginea5+, and prob will upgrade (even emotiva airmotive 4s)
or most likely focal alpha 50s.

here is a pic of the back of the speaker....am unsure of the type of cable i'd need.
would i need a 3.5 to split into dual rca coax (?) with one cable going into left speaker
..and the other cable going into the right?

i also have a pioneer sw 8km2 (?) subwoofer as well.

would this be the cable needed? would i need to split it apart to left/right
(since the speakers would be 6ft apart)?

Jan 11, 2017 at 6:42 PM Post #28,952 of 42,773
Is that xperia z5 compact? If it so can you tell me that it can play streaming music output to mojo?

I have an Xperia Z5 compact and can confirm that it works with Mojo both natively with Android audio driver and UAPP.

Grumpy.... we may not agree on Poly but at least we have two things in common, Mojo and Z5 compact which is best smartphone pairing IMO.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Jan 11, 2017 at 7:20 PM Post #28,954 of 42,773
help please:
 what cables and configuration would you need  for them..say the focal alpha 50s below?

i currently have the audioenginea5+, and prob will upgrade (even emotiva airmotive 4s)

here is a pic of the back of the speaker....am unsure of the type of cable i'd need.
would i need a 3.5 to split into dual rca coax (?) with one cable going into left speaker

You might be better off with a normal rca cable one that has a separate left and right cables plus a good quality rca to 3.5 adapter.
I can't see anywhere in that picture where you could connect a sub.

Jan 11, 2017 at 7:59 PM Post #28,955 of 42,773
I'm building a cheap hi-fi setup for my small bedroom, with the intention of powering it with the Mojo. currently I have a pair of Bose 2.2s that I got for $15 and I really like the sound the Mojo gets out of them, before even considering that they may as well have been free. They are quite weak in the bass dept., unsurprisingly. So today I picked up a Koss S904 powered subwoofer. It has a single RCA/phono jack for it's only input. I'm a bit confused about how to wire the powered sub into this system. Various hi-fi forum I read were no help, since the mojo is so radically different than any standard receiver setup. Can anyone help?

For now I picked a channel at random (right) and spliced the sub to piggyback on it, and it sounds okay with the sub's volume almost all the way down, but this can't possibly be ideal, and I can't think of anything else to try. Do i need another piece of equipment, or what? I feel there is so much potential here...

--Rocket

Jan 11, 2017 at 8:06 PM Post #28,957 of 42,773
I'm building a cheap hi-fi setup for my small bedroom, with the intention of powering it with the Mojo. currently I have a pair of Bose 2.2s that I got for $15 and I really like the sound the Mojo gets out of them, before even considering that they may as well have been free. They are quite weak in the bass dept., unsurprisingly. So today I picked up a Koss S904 powered subwoofer. It has a single RCA/phono jack for it's only input. I'm a bit confused about how to wire the powered sub into this system. Various hi-fi forum I read were no help, since the mojo is so radically different than any standard receiver setup. Can anyone help?

For now I picked a channel at random (right) and spliced the sub to piggyback on it, and it sounds okay with the sub's volume almost all the way down, but this can't possibly be ideal, and I can't think of anything else to try. Do i need another piece of equipment, or what? I feel there is so much potential here...

--Rocket

The Mojo alone will not be anywhere powerful enough to drive the Bose 2.2 (10W minimum spec), never mind adding a sub-woofer. You need a speaker amp to drive the Bose speakers and sub-woofer, then you use the Mojo as the DAC feeding the power amp from the Mojo's analogue output.

Jan 11, 2017 at 8:10 PM Post #28,958 of 42,773
  oh i remember the wait so well...

I went out and did stuff with my brother, so at least some of the wait was taken care of. Only two hours to go! (Hopefully.)

After tonight I'll charge it whenever I turn the computer on.

I usually don't start a listening session until I've eaten twice, since I always drink soda or an energy drink to intensify the experience. (Got a Rockstar tonight for this special occasion. And tomorrow I have a 12 pack of Monster Energy Extra Strength Anti-Gravity coming in along with the HD 800.)

Jan 11, 2017 at 8:15 PM Post #28,959 of 42,773
help please:

Quote:
You might be better off with a normal rca cable one that has a separate left and right cables plus a good quality rca to 3.5 adapter.

thanks, naimless.

i've also sent off an email to Focal's tech dept directly, to try to clarify this.

if anyone else is using a similar setup, your thoughts are also welcomed.

Jan 11, 2017 at 8:52 PM Post #28,960 of 42,773

The signal for the sub comes from the second headphone output on the Mojo.

➞ Focals via stereo 3.5mm connector to stereo RCA connectors.
laptop ➞ Mojo ➞
                               ➞ Subwoofer via stereo 3.5mm connector to stereo RCA connectors.

I believe this hookup is the intent of the op. I am making a couple educated guesses:

1) The distance between the two Focal speakers is not too far apart. If they are far apart, then naimless' suggestion would be mine as well, buy a set of stereo RCA cables and use a stereo RCA to stereo 3.5mm adapter to connect to your Mojo. If they are close together, you can get away with just splitting apart a stereo 3.5mm to stereo RCA cable (the kind that are made that way, generally your less expensive types). This wouldn't be the preferred way to do the hookup, but it would be less expensive.

2) Your subwoofer has RCA inputs. Some subs only have speaker level inputs, and if yours is so, it will take kludging your setup to make the sub work. If indeed you have RCA inputs, then the instruction above is correct. One note, you may only have one RCA input which means you need a summed (L+R) signal if you want bass from each channel reproduced by your sub. There are adapters that take a stereo connection (RCA or 3.5mm) and sum the stereo channels to one RCA connector.

Hope that helps ...

Jan 11, 2017 at 10:39 PM Post #28,961 of 42,773

Yes from Tidal, Spotify, Google , UAPP , BubbleUpnp that I've tried, but only through UAPP bit perfect, others are Android upscalled but still sound awesome.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I have an Xperia Z5 compact and can confirm that it works with Mojo both natively with Android audio driver and UAPP.

Just found out that every android that supports OTG can play music with Mojo stored on the phone but NOT all android phone will allow USB audio output from streaming services to a USB DAC (Mojo). This article from Moon Audio explained all https://www.moon-audio.com/usb/android.html

Jan 11, 2017 at 11:21 PM Post #28,962 of 42,773
  help please:

I use IXCC 3.5mm Male to 2 RCA female stereo cable 1 FT (from amazon.com) and 1 pair of RCA cable (or 1 pair of RCA male to XLR male cable) to connect Mojo to my Adam A7x active monitors. If you want to use subwoofer, use 3.5mm male to RCA male cable to connect Mojo to subwoofer, then use a pair of RCA cables or XLR cables to connect subwoofer to active monitors. It sounds much better than all the headphones I own. Hope this help.

Jan 11, 2017 at 11:33 PM Post #28,963 of 42,773

Is that xperia z5 compact? If it so can you tell me that it can play streaming music output to mojo?

Please, can you tell me if UAPP has hardware synchronisation? What I mean is whether there is something in the settings to add a second's silence.

When I run Mojo from PC it will sometimes cut off the first second of music. We have to put in a second's silence, to allow for hardware synchronisation in JRiver settings. Does UAPP do this? Or does it do it automatically? Or not at all please? 

Jan 11, 2017 at 11:46 PM Post #28,965 of 42,773
Please, can you tell me if UAPP has hardware synchronisation? What I mean is whether there is something in the settings to add a second's silence.

When I run Mojo from PC it will sometimes cut off the first second of music. We have to put in a second's silence, to allow for hardware synchronisation in JRiver settings. Does UAPP do this? Or does it do it automatically? Or not at all please? 

I can't seem to find a setting for it... but there is a thread for UAPP that one of the devs posts regularly in. You might try there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back