Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Sep 15, 2016 at 7:49 PM Post #22,741 of 42,765

Me too! Actually since I got my Lavricables for the Mojo and iPhone 6, the phone seems to have developed a bug and every music app stutters when I change the track. I love the Mojo, but I am going to give up using it with my iPhone and use it with my desktop system instead now. No amount of little 'add on' boxes are going to make it less of a pain to use portably, especially when there are so many good DAPs these days. 

I can see what you mean, however I was just looking at the £60 it will cost for me to licence Audivarna Plus. ***!
What other programs are there for Mac for hi-res music playback?
Is Vox any good?

Sep 15, 2016 at 8:17 PM Post #22,742 of 42,765

I can see what you mean, however I was just looking at the £60 it will cost for me to licence Audivarna Plus. ***!
What other programs are there for Mac for hi-res music playback?
Is Vox any good?

I haven't tried Vox, but Bitperfect is pretty inexpensive although I didn't notice too much difference. I ended up using Amarra and it really does make a difference to the sound quality versus iTunes - way more balanced and clearer. It may be even more expensive the Audirvana though. 

Sep 15, 2016 at 8:25 PM Post #22,743 of 42,765
Any suggestions for pairing the MoJo with an under USD 1000 desktop amp?

Something that is a little warmer, and darker (though it needs to be fast enough to not lose the details) as I would like to hear it's DAC in a different way.

Sep 15, 2016 at 8:49 PM Post #22,744 of 42,765
What headphones do you have that the mojo cant drive? The "amp section" is really transparent so your pretty much only hearing the dac.

I think adding an amp to mojo would degrade the sound quality

Sep 15, 2016 at 8:56 PM Post #22,745 of 42,765
 Something that is a little warmer, and darker (though it needs to be fast enough to not lose the details) as I would like to hear it's DAC in a different way.

Mojo's DAC output is already warm and fully bodied. You might get a brighter signature rather than warm by pairing a more powerful desktop amp with it since most desktop solid state amps I've tried are bright sounding.

Sep 15, 2016 at 8:57 PM Post #22,746 of 42,765
To A.Mo: I am very new to Head Fi but I bought a lots of gear just in the last 5 months. I started out with the portable stuff and then started to move up the scale in sound and dollar. I think the DAC in the Mojo to my ears are just awesome. I did get the Woo WA7 and now I just landed the Violectric V220 here in Vietnam. I bought the V220 without the inhouse DAC just so I can try the Mojo with a powerful head amp. I can tell you the sound is like nothing I have ever heard. Four days ago I went and got the Senn HD800S and on a bigger amp the sound is totally different then the Mojo by itself. The Mojo DAC will scale up with no worries. Now the others on the thread can recommend other good amps to go with the Mojo. Cheers.

Sep 15, 2016 at 10:04 PM Post #22,748 of 42,765
Congratulations to Chord on the Mojo's great success!

Quote:

I have used a Fostex HP-V1, it's nice with the Mojo, a little warmer and darker to my ears. Use the supplied interconnect. A little expensive however and a little portable too.

I haven't had the Mojo for more than an day. As I'm impatient I waited for the white light to turn off. This means no 10hr charge, just the light off, as per post no.3 of this thread, can someone confirm I should have no concerns about battery maintenance for the future?

I also use only 44.1/16 feeding from a CD transport. Currently it's via Toslink with a Lifetec Silflex. Anyone with experience using a CD transport with the Mojo Clearway from Chord?

Sep 15, 2016 at 10:18 PM Post #22,749 of 42,765

A powerful and smooth sounding amplifier that I can recommend is the Heron 5 by Airist Audio.

http://www.airistaudio.com/

if you want to change up the sound but keep all the details, focus, and resolution, you could always EQ the sound. It's free afterall...

Sep 15, 2016 at 10:30 PM Post #22,750 of 42,765
Hoping for suggestions for desktop amps that cost less than USD 1000 that are darker and warmer to pair with the MoJo; the Violectric V220 is ~1200 and the Heron 5 is ~2000, and the Fostex HP-V1 looks to me to be a transportable.

Sep 15, 2016 at 10:37 PM Post #22,751 of 42,765
 Edit:

OK just checked back again and it does play upto 192khz in the selection list under sound properties in windows 10 64bit.

However there is no sound at 192 khz. Only upto 96khz.

If you go to pro-audio brick and mortar stores, you can find a very durable optical cable for a very cheap price that can play 24-bit 192KHz and DSD64 without hiccups whatsoever.

Sep 15, 2016 at 10:59 PM Post #22,753 of 42,765
I might have another optical laying around somewhere I bought from Emotiva. I will give that a try as well. TY for the recommendation. Hopefully it is just the cable!

If the cable does not have the data throughput it will only allow a certain data rate. It's likely just the cable.

This is particularly troublesome for a lot of optical cables as the standard was set long before 24/192 data throughput was popular. Also, make sure you don't have and sharp bends in the cable as this will reduce the light transmission (internal reflections). I find SysConcept to be very good for transmitting data and they work very well at 24/192. You can custom order your size and terminations.

http://www.sysconcept.ca/product_info.php?products_id=364

Examples:
http://www.sys-concept.com/U-toslink_miniplug.html

Sep 15, 2016 at 11:23 PM Post #22,754 of 42,765
I might have another optical laying around somewhere I bought from Emotiva. I will give that a try as well. TY for the recommendation. Hopefully it is just the cable!

If your cable fails, no need to get ultra expensive optical cable. I use a cheap Livewire optical cable for 14.99 USD online for a 5 meter cable and it does 24/192 and DSD64 with zero issues whatsoever. Made in USA as well.

http://livewire-usa.com/eopt5/

Here's some pics with Mojo playing 24-bit 192 KHz

Here is Mojo again with DSD64 playback on optical:

Sep 15, 2016 at 11:25 PM Post #22,755 of 42,765
Thank you for the recommendation Relic. I am going to see if the Emotiva cable can do 192khz. If not, I am just going to bypass optical input all-together since I won't be able to get over not using Chord's ASIO driver with highest sampling rate available anyway. Hiwever, I am planning to buy a stock cable legnth USB cable from SysConcepts since it looks like they know what they are doing! We will see. :):D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back