Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Aug 30, 2016 at 9:08 AM Post #21,931 of 42,765

You got it mixed up. 320 in the 320kbps mp3 refers to the bitrate. While 192 in the 24/192 is the sample rate in kHz. Both are different. 320kbps mp3s are actually 16/44 files. So you can see 24/192 or a 24/96 is bigger than 16/44.

So 320kbps mp3 files are the same as 16/44 files?  That's news to me, as I understood 320's are compressed files and 16/44 files fall into the lossless, or uncompressed file category.

Aug 30, 2016 at 9:13 AM Post #21,932 of 42,765
  So 320kbps mp3 files are the same as 16/44 files?  That's news to me, as I understood 320's are compressed files and 16/44 files fall into the lossless, or uncompressed file category.

Yes. 320 can also be for example 24/48. As EagleWings said "320kbps mp3 refers to the bitrate. While 192 in the 24/192 is the sample rate in kHz"

Aug 30, 2016 at 9:52 AM Post #21,934 of 42,765
It doesn't matter what you use as transport, SQ wise, as long as the interconnect is ok.

I'm probably going to just give up and get a god damn ak100 too, so, possibly for the last time -- is there any news on the SD card reader module? Any? Like aaaaanyyy news?

Aug 30, 2016 at 10:10 AM Post #21,935 of 42,765
jitterbug does not remove or correct for jitter. it cleans the USB power and data stream of noise. this noise creeps into the electronics and causes the sound to deteriorate. unlike reclockers and many USB to coaxial/optical converters this jitterbug does not need any external powered electronics. the external powered electronics of these reclockers can add their own noise. jitterbug while cleans the USB power yet the USB cable can pick up rfi/emi noise so using a good short shielded USB cable with ferrite cores further benefits .

Aug 30, 2016 at 10:52 AM Post #21,936 of 42,765
  Finally bit the bullet and got myself a Mojo.  What are you guys pairing it with?
I am using it with an AK120 Titan.  Would it make a difference if a different DAP is used?

​the only difference would be if you are going to want DSD support, and also USB connection. other than that you are just using the Titan as a transport and it imparts no  influence on the sound because you are bypassing the onboard DAC

Aug 30, 2016 at 11:01 AM Post #21,937 of 42,765
  It doesn't matter what you use as transport, SQ wise, as long as the interconnect is ok.

I'm probably going to just give up and get a god damn ak100 too, so, possibly for the last time -- is there any news on the SD card reader module? Any? Like aaaaanyyy news?

​the only difference would be if you are going to want DSD support, and also USB connection. other than that you are just using the Titan as a transport and it imparts no  influence on the sound because you are bypassing the onboard DAC

Actually there have been reports that the quality can vary between transports, and certain transports have been known to do slightly better than the rest. Between my X3ii->Mojo, iPhone->Mojo and Mac->Mojo, I have not been able to tell a difference. But Soundaware M1 device has been said to have very clean and noticeably better digital out section. I will be receiving an M1 unit soon for review and will be able to test it out myself.

As for the news regarding the SD card module, it won't be out this calendar year is what John or Rob mentioned a while back in this thread, as the module needs some serious internal design.

Aug 30, 2016 at 11:08 AM Post #21,938 of 42,765

Actually there have been reports that the quality can vary between transports, and certain transports have been known to do slightly better than the rest. Between my X3ii->Mojo, iPhone->Mojo and Mac->Mojo, I have not been able to tell a difference. But Soundaware M1 device has been said to have very clean and noticeably better digital out section. I will be receiving an M1 unit soon for review and will be able to test it out myself.

As for the news regarding the SD card module, it won't be out this calendar year is what John or Rob mentioned a while back in this thread, as the module needs some serious internal design.

I guess I should have been more specific, since the only connection he has is optical, there wont be any noise introduced like there would be if he went USB or coax.

let me clarify further.. there shouldnt be any noise with an optical connection

Aug 30, 2016 at 11:32 AM Post #21,939 of 42,765

I guess I should have been more specific, since the only connection he has is optical, there wont be any noise introduced like there would be if he went USB or coax.

let me clarify further.. there shouldnt be any noise with an optical connection

Got it. Here is an interesting post by Relic:

I was in the same boat believing the same input would not have any difference at all. I was happy using the AK100 mk2 (the older 3 Ohm revision of the AK100, not the AK100ii - pretty much the same as your AK120 with less internal storage and a single DAC implementation) and when the battery died I plugged in my AK240 using the same optical cable. I heard it immediately, and believe me I didn't want to or expect it. If others can't hear the differences then I'm not going to try to convince anyone otherwise. Just reporting what I heard. I'm well aware there shouldn't have been any difference, but I'm also not going to say definitively what the cause is because I have no clue.

If your looking to pick up the AK380 for battery life I'm not sure that's the player to use as I read it gets similar performance to the AK240, that is around 6-7 hours playback (I could be mistaken here though). Might want to confirm the battery life is all. The other thing is, why does the AK240 battery life remain the same when using optical out? Makes no sense when bypassing the DAC/amp. I suspected earlier that there may be some DSP going on that's un-defeatable on the AK240 to give it an 'edge' over the AK120ii but I just can't conclude that either.

I'd also like to point out that not everyone are on the similar capacity to discern finer nuances in audio. Hearing sensitivity, hearing quality and auditory memory, all play a role in doing so. My wife can't tell my IE80 apart from my Sennheriser MM30. But she can tell the difference between the MM30 and my Galaxy. But I can tell the difference between all 3 IEMs. Not meaning to take this discussion into a serious sound-science debate. Just saying, some people can hear the fine sounds, while some can't.

Aug 30, 2016 at 11:41 AM Post #21,940 of 42,765

I'd also like to point out that not everyone are on the similar capacity to discern finer nuances in audio. Hearing sensitivity, hearing quality and auditory memory, all play a role in doing so. My wife can't tell my IE80 apart from my Sennheriser MM30. But she can tell the difference between the MM30 and my Galaxy. But I can tell the difference between all 3 IEMs. Not meaning to take this discussion into a serious sound-science debate. Just saying, some people can hear the fine sounds, while some can't.

I was attempting to give a totally technical view to the question. I cant judge an individual's perception of sound. it is never a fair comparison, because even the shape of your ear canal can make a resonance that a different shape and depth canal wouldn't and technically couldn't.

Aug 30, 2016 at 1:50 PM Post #21,944 of 42,765
I was reading the FAQ and it stated that in the instructions I have to charge for at least 4 hours before using.

Is this really necessary?

Just charge it until the charging light switches off, then you'll be good to go.

The reason what Chord states this initial charging time is that, despite the fact that the Mojos are charged before leaving the factory, they will spend some time in transport to distros, and then from distro to dealer, and then possibly sit in the dealers stock for a while before being sold. During this time the battery will slowly discharge, possibly even to flat. Hence Chords stated minimum first time charge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back