Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jul 4, 2016 at 2:48 AM Post #19,471 of 42,765
  As per Rob, Mojo should get 100% volume input from Source, that will give optimum sound quality from Mojo.

Well one thing to consider is not all of my "sources" of audio are equal. Tidal for example outputs almost twice the volume as Spotify or games or anything else does. I've never noticed distortion but still..

Also mind if I get a quote from the post of him talking about it? I'd love to read up on it. 

Jul 4, 2016 at 2:56 AM Post #19,472 of 42,765
This Mojo has really shined with everything I've thrown at it... so much so that I'm seriously considering putting my Hugo + Lyr 2 combo up for sale and getting a second Mojo. One for home and one for on the go/work. This thing just blows them out of the water. 

My fav cans are the Fostex TH600/900 (work/home set) and while the sibilance is still there it's much more tame on the Mojo.

I do have a technical question... If I'm using the Mojo as an amp and controlling the volume with my PC/device.. should I Just set the volume to a decent volume or just use line out for a consistent level? I know they are two different things but was wondering what'd it'd do. 

If you're using the computer to control the volume then basically what the computer is doing is reducing the bit depth as you decrease the volume, meaning you're not sending all of the information to the dac, also there may be problems with the way the volume conversion affects the digital signal.

IMO best way is to set the computer volume to 0db (full volume) and then control the output volume from the mojo.

Jul 4, 2016 at 3:05 AM Post #19,473 of 42,765
i have genelec active speakers, i use mojo's lime out every day.. i use 3.5 mm to rca (l&r)...

lthe first link of amazon will work..

let me know if you need more info..

considering genelec 8010a to pair with my mojo.
anyone else have any other considerations?
i'd like to go cheaper if it's possible (8010a is $600ish), but it's tough to pass up the 8010a between its reported integration with mojo and its dimensions compared to say, the adam's.

but if there are options i'm failing to consider, please feel free to suggest.

Jul 4, 2016 at 3:18 AM Post #19,474 of 42,765
If you're using the computer to control the volume then basically what the computer is doing is reducing the bit depth as you decrease the volume, meaning you're not sending all of the information to the dac, also there may be problems with the way the volume conversion affects the digital signal.

IMO best way is to set the computer volume to 0db (full volume) and then control the output volume from the mojo.

Makes sense.. but I can't just max out the volume of everything in windows.. Certain apps are different volumes.

I don't follow the whole reducing bit depth. You're either getting 100% of the data or 0% of the data and it's never been choppy or stuttering because the volume was low..

Jul 4, 2016 at 4:00 AM Post #19,475 of 42,765
  hey I got directed here from the help and recommendation area with this thread I made: http://www.head-fi.org/t/812871/looking-for-a-great-portable-amp-dac-combo#post_12696109

Im wondering if I should be getting the chord mojo or the chord hugo, basically I can sort of understand how the mojo can be advantageous - better DAC, better portability and better price, but in terms of sound quality alone how does the hugo and mojo compare?

so this is what I've gathered so far:

1) the hugo seems to have a more "audiophile" sound to it; it seems like it has a bigger soundstage, slightly better detail retrieval and all round more "airy" - which I must assume is the treble being slightly more emphasized here. 

2) as for the mojo, its more of the opposite. It is warm, organic and great for vocals as Ive read and heard from the opinions of others.

My experience with both of them are quite limited.
I have not tried the hugo yet but the mojo was slightly annoying to use when I tried it, the jitter I get when it goes near my phone is extremely annoying and perhaps a bit deal breaking for me - an unfortuante result from an ungalvinized connection. The mojo was really surprisingly small, it was about half the size of an iphone 6s plus! There was noticeable sound improvement that was in line with the general concensus - my music appeared slightly warm with the mids appearing a bit more forward, vocals especially were affected the most.

hopefully posting in the mojo thread wont lead to too much of a skewed opinion siding with the mojo, I believe most here are CHORD fans and would appreciate an honest opinion. None the less I would like an opinion from everyone even if you've heard them for 15 minutes.

Comment away! 

What headphones/iems are you going to pair these with?

Jul 4, 2016 at 4:21 AM Post #19,476 of 42,765
hey I got directed here from the help and recommendation area with this thread I made: http://www.head-fi.org/t/812871/looking-for-a-great-portable-amp-dac-combo#post_12696109

Im wondering if I should be getting the chord mojo or the chord hugo, basically I can sort of understand how the mojo can be advantageous - better DAC, better portability and better price, but in terms of sound quality alone how does the hugo and mojo compare?

so this is what I've gathered so far:

1) the hugo seems to have a more "audiophile" sound to it; it seems like it has a bigger soundstage, slightly better detail retrieval and all round more "airy" - which I must assume is the treble being slightly more emphasized here. 

2) as for the mojo, its more of the opposite. It is warm, organic and great for vocals as Ive read and heard from the opinions of others.

My experience with both of them are quite limited.
I have not tried the hugo yet but the mojo was slightly annoying to use when I tried it, the jitter I get when it goes near my phone is extremely annoying and perhaps a bit deal breaking for me - an unfortuante result from an ungalvinized connection. The mojo was really surprisingly small, it was about half the size of an iphone 6s plus! There was noticeable sound improvement that was in line with the general concensus - my music appeared slightly warm with the mids appearing a bit more forward, vocals especially were affected the most.

hopefully posting in the mojo thread wont lead to too much of a skewed opinion siding with the mojo, I believe most here are CHORD fans and would appreciate an honest opinion. None the less I would like an opinion from everyone even if you've heard them for 15 minutes.

Comment away! 

Based on what Rob has said about tuning the Mojo to be smoother I would think your summary in your first point would be correct regarding the difference between the Mojo and Hugo (I haven't heard the Hugo, just read about it extensively).

The 'jitter' you hear with your phone near the Mojo isn't jitter at all, but RF/EMI noise and no galvanic isolation can solve it. The Hugo does not have galvanic isolation either. Galvanic isolation will eliminate RF through the USB cable (from a noisy computer connection for example), but not from a cellular signal in the case of the Mojo. Chord has not implemented galvanic isolation in its portable DACs as it requires a power source and this is impractical for portable use (battery life). RF/EMI is a common issue that I see with many devices meant to be used with cell phones including the Oppo HA-2 DAC/amp, but apparently not as big an issue with Hugo. Depending on your signal strength, and other factors, you may hear the RF/EMI, or you may not. I don't hear any until I switch my phone to 2G from LTE.

Back to your question between the Hugo and the Mojo I think it is more a question of taste. Rob and Chord have said the Mojo is in no way less capable than the Hugo and both have the same power output. You'll find users who might vastly prefer the brighter sound of the Hugo, and others who prefer the smoother sound of the Mojo.

Other than sound signature differences the Hugo has Bluetooth, cross feed, dedicated RCA outputs and a longer battery life. The Mojo remembers the last volume used, automatically selects the input based on priority (USB>coaxial>optical selection), and has a broader range of sampling rate compatibility.

Jul 4, 2016 at 4:42 AM Post #19,477 of 42,765
  IMO, Hi-Res is still largely irrelevant until someone does more to improve recording quality, across the industry, improve mastering quality across the industry, and improve initial (and any secondary) ADC of the recording.

Until that is all taken seriously, Hi-Res ain't truly Hi-Res, IMO. It's just trying to make (and sell) a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

+1

My reference album is Megadeth - Coundown To Extinction (1st press CD 1992)

for sound quality it blows away everything i have and it was recorded in 1992! the air, separation, micro detail, dynamics and punch is incredible. Any modern recording in "hi res" from the last few years dont even come close.

Like you said its all about the care of the recording and the mastering quality. imo dacs have still got some time to go until they squeeze everything out of an excellent 16/44 album.

Jul 4, 2016 at 4:44 AM Post #19,478 of 42,765
Am totally in agreement...that is why with Tidal hi fi, despite playing "cd quality", if the source used is so-so in production quality,
then what does it matter....esp with the older recordings, or stuff from the 70's and 80s etc.

This was one of the reasons I was asking about dynamic range and recordings. For example I like Queen, Rush etc... you go onto Tidal and there's a number of 'best of 'collections of them ( or any popular artist/group that's been around long enough, for that matter)...well which ones are better recorded? that's what I'm trying to find out so I can download the better recorded versions

the reason i will never use tidal or any other music streaming, i have no control over the master that way, but with buying and ripping cd's i do.

Jul 4, 2016 at 4:50 AM Post #19,479 of 42,765
  This Mojo has really shined with everything I've thrown at it... so much so that I'm seriously considering putting my Hugo + Lyr 2 combo up for sale and getting a second Mojo. One for home and one for on the go/work. This thing just blows them out of the water. 

My fav cans are the Fostex TH600/900 (work/home set) and while the sibilance is still there it's much more tame on the Mojo.

I do have a technical question... If I'm using the Mojo as an amp and controlling the volume with my PC/device.. should I Just set the volume to a decent volume or just use line out for a consistent level? I know they are two different things but was wondering what'd it'd do. 

If I am using bitperfect on my PC I can not control volume by the PC. Volume is controlled either by the Mojo if I have headphones in. Or by the volume control on my desktop active speakers (Q Acoustics BT3), if they are plugged in instead.

(EDIT: Highly recommended to use bitperfect. Sorry I forgot to put his in originally. That's what I was meaning to say because you mentioned using your PC to control volume. Whereas you can't with bitperfect.)

If you're not using bitperfect, Rob Watts said use your PC software output at maximum volume. Therefor controlling volume from the Mojo.

Jul 4, 2016 at 6:32 AM Post #19,480 of 42,765

i have genelec active speakers, i use mojo's lime out every day.. i use 3.5 mm to rca (l&r)...

lthe first link of amazon will work..

let me know if you need more info..

considering genelec 8010a to pair with my mojo.
anyone else have any other considerations?
i'd like to go cheaper if it's possible (8010a is $600ish), but it's tough to pass up the 8010a between its reported integration with mojo and its dimensions compared to say, the adam's.

but if there are options i'm failing to consider, please feel free to suggest.

Mine is 8010 And F one sub :)

Jul 4, 2016 at 7:20 AM Post #19,481 of 42,765
Post #3 includes the following quotes about feeding Mojo a bit-perfect signal, both in the 'Informative Posts by Rob Watts' section, and the section entitled 'Setting the *DIGITAL* volume level on your transport device (only if supported), to feed Mojo optimally':

It is always better to give Mojo bit perfect files and let Mojo do the work, as the processing within Mojo is much more complex and sophisticated than a mobile or PC.

So when you have an app that has a volume control, and no bit perfect setting, then set it to full volume on the app on the assumption that this will keep the data closer to the original file.

The volume control function on Mojo is much more sophisticated than the PC as I employ noise shaping and I do the function at a very high internal sample rate. Hopefully using the volume set to max on the app will mean the volume coefficient is 1.0000000... so it will return the original data.

Rob 

You can always do a listening test. If set to max against 50% say, and it hardens up (becomes brighter) with loud recordings then its clipping. If on the other hand the perception of sound-stage depth is reduced, then the volume control is degrading the sound.

If you do that test and can hear no difference then don't worry, its a good app volume control.

Rob

PS for fun I just did a very quick test using Dave. I listen to radio 3 using the BBC iPlayer. I normally have it set to max. I reduced the iPlayer volume control to half, boosted Dave volume control by +6dB - and yes I felt sound-stage depth was worse with lower iPlayer volume. 

Jul 4, 2016 at 7:30 AM Post #19,482 of 42,765

Makes sense.. but I can't just max out the volume of everything in windows.. Certain apps are different volumes.

I don't follow the whole reducing bit depth. You're either getting 100% of the data or 0% of the data and it's never been choppy or stuttering because the volume was low..

You may find the answers to your wonders here: http://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/Intro/SQ/VolumeControl.htm.

As mentionned by other members here, usually volume has to be set at 100%.
Nevertheless, some applications may bring audible distorsion and  in such case you need to reduce the output setting accordingly. Example, for VLC a setting at around 90% is more suitable. 
Rgds.

Jul 4, 2016 at 8:07 AM Post #19,483 of 42,765
You may find the answers to your wonders here: http://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/Intro/SQ/VolumeControl.htm.

As mentionned by other members here, usually volume has to be set at 100%.
Nevertheless, some applications may bring audible distorsion and  in such case you need to reduce the output setting accordingly. Example, for VLC a setting at around 90% is more suitable. 
Rgds.

Thanks for the article. I never knew!

I do have a question about sound balance between apps. Say I have YouTube, Tidal and a game running. YouTube might be a music video, Tidal a song and the game a WW2 game. Chances are Tidal will likely have twice the output volume vs the other 2 sound sources. Should I lower Tidal and would that result in information being lost or is it no longer an issue being that my system volume is now 100%?

Jul 4, 2016 at 9:12 AM Post #19,484 of 42,765

I do have a question about sound balance between apps. Say I have YouTube, Tidal and a game running. YouTube might be a music video, Tidal a song and the game a WW2 game. Chances are Tidal will likely have twice the output volume vs the other 2 sound sources. Should I lower Tidal and would that result in information being lost or is it no longer an issue being that my system volume is now 100%?

Since you are not mixing all those sound sources together and you will listen to them alone, as a rule of thumb you may also set each volume close to 90-100%.
Please be conscious that dealing with compressed audio embedded in video format ( YouTube) I am not sure you are losing SQ even if you set the volume much lower.
IMHO, it is much more important when dealing with bit perfect audio apllications ( Foobar/etc...) .
By the way, in case of Windows OS, don't forget to use Asio Chord drivers....
Cheers

Jul 4, 2016 at 10:19 AM Post #19,485 of 42,765

If you like Fostex sound but find them slightly sibilant, you might want want to give a go to the X00s. They have tamed highs compared to 600s or 900s.

As someone else has mentioned, it is highly recommended to use Mojo in bitperfect mode. I get a much nicer (clear, clean, detailed) sound like this. In bitperfect mode you can adjust the volume on Mojo only.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back