Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Apr 21, 2016 at 12:23 AM Post #16,426 of 42,765
Great info - thanks. The challenge definitely seems to be piecing together a system (often one part at a time) without having everything already at your disposal so you can instantaneously see what your favorite combo is. You hate to throw the baby out with the bathwater (e.g. giving up on PM-3 when the problem may have been the HA-2)...but when you're at the mercy of 30-day return periods you really have no choice.

Why don't you find a good local audio shop and demo some good stuffs?

Makes perfect sense. We all have different uses and it seems like you've thought it out well. For your use then the M-100 may serve its purpose. Out of curiosity, have you considered IEMs as well?

I originally wanted to get one open pair (home) and one closed pair (walks, airplanes). Then I read more about the OPPO PM-3 and wondered if it could be a jack of all trades for me (and allow me to just get one pair). Sort of a closed pair that could sound open, if you will. So I splurged on it (adding the HA-2) and found myself agreeing with commentary that it was a little bit boring and lacked some low-end oomph thatI found myself wanting. Not a basshead by any stretch, but I wanted kick drums to actually KICK a little. Also, I found that I kept turning the overall volume up on the HA-2 to bring up the bass --- I'm just not a fan of bass boost. And with that, I was getting past a volume level I was comfortable with for my ears. I want it to sound great at lower levels (hence my wondering if I need a colored pair vs neutral for the dog walks).

Maybe what I want would actually happen when paired with the MOJO vs the HA-2 --- that's what I simply don't know. But I find myself wishfully nodding when I read adjectives like "musicality" and "warm" and "deep" and "fun." I WANT ME SOME OF THAT.

And that's why I find myself in this rabbit hole of theories. And yes, trust me -- I would never try an open pair on an airplane. :cool:

If you like VModa sound & you're after energetic/speedy/impactful bass, $300ish open-back won't make it. I'd consider (c)IEM (or closed back) as seal is extremely important for good bass. HE400s, even though it's a planar, it's sound is closer to dynamic than planar.

They're good at isolating on the plane, but I don't love (1) the pressure changing feeling inside my ear canals (doesn't bother me on the ground) and (2) the hassle to take out/put back in/take out/put back in during flights. So thankfully I've designated their use...I've been happy with it for years...and I've never looked back. (definitely don't need another reason to spend money)

Actually, there is an easy way to equalize ears even with IEMs on. https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=https%3A//fr.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/B%25C3%25A9ance_tubaire_volontaire

It's quite hard to achieve, easy to do once you know how.

Apr 21, 2016 at 1:46 AM Post #16,427 of 42,765
Received my mojo couple of days ago. Its a brilliant piece of kit.
It sounds stunning straight out of my laptop driving my headphones or plugged into my integrated amp driving my hi-fi speakers. It's perfect for my usage 80% headphones and 20% speakers. 

Initially I was not a fan of it's aesthetics and just bought for it's performance. But I was wrong it looks stunning in the flesh than in the pics.

Apr 21, 2016 at 5:38 AM Post #16,429 of 42,765

Then I did what turned out to be both a blessing and a curse. I plugged it into the MOJO. The SQ improved several tiers and I was much more engaged than using the V10. After that experience each time I plugged in the IE 80's into the V10 it made me a little bit sad inside. I constantly craved the sound that the mojo was producing. It produced a neutral warm and deep sound. The V10's was detailed but lacked warmth and had a lot less depth.

When music sounds beautiful you just know it. You don't question it, you are engaged and happy to be enjoying it.

The Mojo can do that. It definitely gets you wanting to hear more and sometimes that leads you down the path of better more expensive equipment.

At the end of the day it's always about the music and your own personal enjoyment of the listening experience

Apr 21, 2016 at 8:27 AM Post #16,430 of 42,765
  i gotta give it to mojo again, sometimes from life and its daily troubles, there is nothing that can calm you down besides a great dac/amp and a great headphone or iem and listen to songs that can help you forget abit about life and its worries, enjoying now my mojo setup 

thanks Rob and chord for this amazing device

Try the B1 module with your U12's!  -_^ Loving mine, I wanted a reduction in mid bass and a more sparkly treble, I got those AND a wider soundstage and better instrument placement within the stage. 

Apr 21, 2016 at 11:01 AM Post #16,431 of 42,765
  Funny you ask -- it was IEMs that got me to this site years ago. I currently have a pair of Westone W30s with foam tips that I love. But I've come to realize I only love them for two uses: exercise and mowing. They're good at isolating on the plane, but I don't love (1) the pressure changing feeling inside my ear canals (doesn't bother me on the ground) and (2) the hassle to take out/put back in/take out/put back in during flights. So thankfully I've designated their use...I've been happy with it for years...and I've never looked back. (definitely don't need another reason to spend money)

I have indeed followed the SINE thread/news/reviews pretty closely. I would love to try it for sure. But after everything I poured into the OPPO solution, I wanted to start with a less expensive alternative (e.g. V-Modas or Beyerdynamics)...and then work my way up if they didn't solve it. Also, SINE is not on Amazon (and subsequently not on Prime)...and the Cipher cable version is apparently backordered by several weeks.

Which headphones I ultimately end up with is taking up plenty of my headspace already --- it's hard to figure out how best to allocate my $700 in Amazon credits.

(need an emoticon for First World Problems)

I have the V-MODA Crossfade Wireless that basically sound like the M-100 and I'm happy with the mojo.

It's a fun sound, but it is also true that in long hear a little tired.

to listen to electronic music or are very interesting.

Apr 21, 2016 at 11:08 AM Post #16,432 of 42,765

Try the B1 module with your U12's!  -_^ Loving mine, I wanted a reduction in mid bass and a more sparkly treble, I got those AND a wider soundstage and better instrument placement within the stage. 

How is the background on the A12 with the Mojo? Totally dark or is there a slight hissing?

Apr 21, 2016 at 12:02 PM Post #16,434 of 42,765
Hi friends , i need your help.
1.If use mojo with new ipad pro 9.7 , apple CCK use with iphone 6, still can use to connect mojo?

2. Any one has that experience?
3. How was the sound?

Thanks so much for great support.

1. Yes, one at a time.
2. Yes. 
3. Sounds the same to me. 

Apr 21, 2016 at 12:50 PM Post #16,436 of 42,765

How is the background on the A12 with the Mojo? Totally dark or is there a slight hissing?

When I auditioned them (well, the U12 - but it's the same thing minus the custom moldings), I could hear no hiss at all with the Mojo (and with my current SE846 I do hear a very very low level hiss).

A12's are my next purchase specifically to pair with the Mojo - hopefully able to turn that around before my next major trip.

Apr 21, 2016 at 1:52 PM Post #16,439 of 42,765
LG LA4700 LED TV > optical out > Mojo > HE400i
Star Wars : Force Awakens

it got the headset rumbling together with all tht bass!

L3000.gif

Apr 21, 2016 at 2:03 PM Post #16,440 of 42,765
Got my mojo risin'. Sometime between 0730 and 1200 tomorrow, at least according to DPD couriers. Am very excited to see what the 1100 pages of fuss is all about :D

Shame I'm away on business until 2200 tomorrow really. Grrrrrr.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back