Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Apr 12, 2016 at 1:21 AM Post #15,751 of 42,765
I personally think correct sounding live recordings are those that can differentiate between audiance and performers. When i listen to mojo, all become same. Every sound has same impact be it clapping or coughing from audiance. As much as guitar solo playing in front. So that in my books a caveat.

Your comment re audience/performer separation intrigued me and I went back into my library of 192/24bit vinyl "rips" done with a high quality analog front end and Apogee A/D converter [see profile for details].  With the Mojo and Grado GS-1000i's there is a clear spatial separation [layering] between audience and performer on the following recordings, for example:

1) Folk Festival at Newport, Vol.1 [Vanguard Stereolab VSD 2053, recorded July 1959, original pressing] LP side 2: Cobbler's Song - Tommy Makem sings this humorous traditional Irish folk song unaccompanied, [punctuated by spitting!], where you can clearly hear the audience laughing in the distance while his voice is prominently focused front and center and the timbre of the voice is incredibly clearly rendered.  There is no question where the performer and audience were situated.  An amazing 56 year old analog tape recording!!!

2) The Weavers - Reunion at Carnegie Hall 1963 [Analogue Productions APF005, remaster, 1986] LP side 2: Goodnight, Irene - Same thing here: The individual members of the Weavers sing verses of the song as they are arranged left, center and right on the Carnegie Hall stage while the audience joins in very clearly seated in the distance in the parquet and the balconies.

The quality of the original recording and the A/D conversion has everything to do with this separation and the Mojo does an outstanding job of revealing exactly what is "in the bits."

Apr 12, 2016 at 1:25 AM Post #15,752 of 42,765

thanks for answering...
well whats the best source that is good for mojo right now?
any recommendations?
thru coaxial/optical

The choices are numerous. If you already have a phone iOS or Android these can be used with the Mojo via OTG for Android or CCK for iOS, otherwise a DAP with either COAX, Optical or USB out. just depending on what you are prepared to pay.

Apr 12, 2016 at 1:28 AM Post #15,753 of 42,765
How are people stacking their Mojos to their smartphones? I'm stacking mine to my Galaxy S4 via double-sided velcro, and it's less than ideal.

I'm intrigued by what @hawaiibadboy is doing, whatever that may be.

Apr 12, 2016 at 1:32 AM Post #15,754 of 42,765
I personally think correct sounding live recordings are those that can differentiate between audiance and performers. When i listen to mojo, all become same. Every sound has same impact be it clapping or coughing from audiance. As much as guitar solo playing in front. So that in my books a caveat.

I enjoy listening to "Jazz at the Pawnshop", this was recorded with a live audience and I for one can certainly differentiate between the audience and the musicians, even to the extent of turning around suddenly because I thought someone had moved just behind me only to realise it was the music I was listening to. 

Mojo definitely layers the music and recreates, for me at least especially on this recording, a true "Being there" feeling

Apr 12, 2016 at 1:36 AM Post #15,755 of 42,765
How are people stacking their Mojos to their smartphones? I'm stacking mine to my Galaxy S4 via double-sided velcro, and it's less than ideal.

I have mine strapped to a Sony z3 compact.  I would have no issue with it if the USB jack was in the bottom of the device not the side.  Makes it troublesome.

Apr 12, 2016 at 1:48 AM Post #15,756 of 42,765

'

3M DualLock (low profile). Only 2mm thick in total and is cleaner, longer lasting, and stronger than Velcro.

Apr 12, 2016 at 1:49 AM Post #15,757 of 42,765

Your comment re audience/performer separation intrigued me and I went back into my library of 192/24bit vinyl "rips" done with a high quality analog front end and Apogee A/D converter [see profile for details].  With the Mojo and Grado GS-1000i's there is a clear spatial separation [layering] between audience and performer on the following recordings, for example:

1) Folk Festival at Newport, Vol.1 [Vanguard Stereolab VSD 2053, recorded July 1959, original pressing] LP side 2: Cobbler's Song - Tommy Makem sings this humorous traditional Irish folk song unaccompanied, [punctuated by spitting!], where you can clearly hear the audience laughing in the distance while his voice is prominently focused front and center and the timbre of the voice is incredibly clearly rendered.  There is no question where the performer and audience were situated.  An amazing 56 year old analog tape recording!!!

2) The Weavers - Reunion at Carnegie Hall 1963 [Analogue Productions APF005, remaster, 1986] LP side 2: Goodnight, Irene - Same thing here: The individual members of the Weavers sing verses of the song as they are arranged left, center and right on the Carnegie Hall stage while the audience joins in very clearly seated in the distance in the parquet and the balconies.

The quality of the original recording and the A/D conversion has everything to do with this separation and the Mojo does an outstanding job of revealing exactly what is "in the bits."

This is a post.

It has context.
Folks can try and replicate it.
Thumbs up!

Citing the main attribute as a weak point kinda blows my mind. I want to hear specifics. Folks talk way too light and walk back from their claims with a smirk and a shrug after countless folks already spent money partially based on those words. And others make odd claims with no context or way to agree or refute.
This is a hobby but an expensive one and folks who will never join this site spend hard earned cash on those words.

Thanks for a good post among many including mine....less than helpful ones.

Apr 12, 2016 at 1:56 AM Post #15,759 of 42,765
You win. :)

Apr 12, 2016 at 1:56 AM Post #15,760 of 42,765

I did and found the Qp1r to have a FiiO X5 like G.U.I...(in it's 1st beta ....really really bad). The sonics? bright,light thin FiiO X7ish. Some folks would call that analytical.
I tried several DAP's and only the very odd looking PAW Gold sounded like a Mojo alternative but the screen and G.U.I is uber geek Star Trek.

The stunner is that the QP is more that double the cost of the Mojo and sounded inferior to me and was a flashback to FiiO X5 but with a less useful touch wheel if that can be believed.

Mojo
Aaaaaaaall day long.

Why the QP and not the PAW are being discussed is making me confused?
The PAW is crazy expensive but sounded fantastic and is a unique interface experience. The QP is not. All my opinion but so is everything else in this thread aside from graphs of tests.

F.Y.I.

Pink Floyd "On the Run"
America  "Tin Man"
Pimp C  "Coming Up, The Sweet James jones stories"

Flat EQ

Exactly what I felt when I tried and compared the QP1r with some other DAPs. To me the QP1r sounded thin, light and bright. Even the Hifiman HM650 with Discrete amp card sounds far better to me. I don't know how come so many people like this player. And so many people even praise this player when paired with hard to drive full size headphones like HE1000, that's way beyond what I can say. The output power from HM650 w/ discrete card is far more powerful than the QP1r, and even the discrete amp card can't drive HE1000 properly (I mean to 50% of its potential). BTW, I tested these with HE1000, and even the HE400s too.

The Paw Gold sound really nice. To me it's about on par of the HM901s w/ balanced card. I loved both when I had them both, but kept the HM901s for its flexibility (especially when matched with the Dock1).

The Mojo ... is my favorite now :)

Apr 12, 2016 at 1:57 AM Post #15,761 of 42,765
You win.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 12, 2016 at 1:57 AM Post #15,762 of 42,765
  Gratitude is a good word.

Gratitude to the creators of Mojo.
And gratitude to the universe that we can have this intimate listening experience using a £400 device.

well we do live in good times technology wise, we have amazing smartphones, and amazing Mojo DAC.

I remember as a teenager hating the sound of CD and wishing for a better technology. That technology is now here.

Certainly Naim produced some good CD players but the amazing part of mojo is the portability.

I take it everywhere with me. That is something really special ! There are a number of companies that make good desktop DAC, but can you bring them in the car with you?

Somebody else had doubts about using Mojo as a desktop DAC, I don't hear that at all, I hear that Mojo is a superb Desktop DAC !

I would have no issues if Mojo was my only DAC for desktop, it is that good.

Apr 12, 2016 at 3:17 AM Post #15,764 of 42,765

This is a post.

It has context.
Folks can try and replicate it.
Thumbs up!

Citing the main attribute as a weak point kinda blows my mind. I want to hear specifics. Folks talk way too light and walk back from their claims with a smirk and a shrug after countless folks already spent money partially based on those words. And others make odd claims with no context or way to agree or refute.
This is a hobby but an expensive one and folks who will never join this site spend hard earned cash on those words.

Thanks for a good post among many including mine....less than helpful ones.

Thanks and you're more than welcome...

I can understand why folks might have difficulty accurately assessing the subjective qualities of their audio gear with some digital music sources currently available => specific case in point here: the Weavers song recording I was referring to, Goodnight, Irene for example is available online on Spotify [and probably elsewhere] in a reissue compilation entitled Vanguard Visionaries: The Weavers which was [re]released in 2007.  When I listened to it, I was appalled at the low quality - flat, thin & screechy and no where close to the LP rip version.

[ spotify:track:3GtfeLBXe15nyEMN664ygs ]

Yes, I know it's streamed, but other music on Spotify is not nearly as 'damaged' as this track and the Mojo actually makes a lot of it much more listenable.

Most of the on-line music is pulled from the vaults of the major labels who try to sell it 'one more time' by licensing their old tapes and CD's and they don't necessarily do the digital conversions with 'loving care'.  So, the bottom line is: use the best music sources available before trying to draw any conclusions about the performance of your gear otherwise you'll come to the wrong conclusions.

Apr 12, 2016 at 3:26 AM Post #15,765 of 42,765

Users who are viewing this thread

Back