Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Apr 11, 2016 at 8:24 AM Post #15,707 of 42,765
  Really need that extension box so I can properly stack with DP-X1 using two rubber bands... The DAP has thick bevels top and bottom and rubber bands would be perfect with a longer Mojo.

I will need them for a more secure fitting of the USB connection and for the SD module all in one.
Eagerly awaiting their arrival
wink_face.gif

Apr 11, 2016 at 9:48 AM Post #15,708 of 42,765
IMHO sound stage depth of Mojo is nothing short of amazing!
Your Mojo-Brain-Connectivity-May-Vary
YMBCMV
biggrin.gif

This should not be underestimated. 

The brain learns and adjusts and it appears to happen whether or not the subject is concentrating, or just taking in the musicality via mojo.  

For me, a solid month of Mojo, several hours a day while working, and the testing between hi fidelity files and low fidelity files, of which I routinely scored 50% are now close to 100% with only accepala still giving me trouble discerning.  

I recognize that this is personal and leaves much to be desired for scientific testing, but it is a lot of fun to pick out the beautiful clarity that Mojo allows.  

Apr 11, 2016 at 10:21 AM Post #15,711 of 42,765
@Carl6868, I have converted dsd128 to flac using foobar sacd plugin. you can try for higher dsd256 or dsd512 too, IMHO it should work. but I don't think converting it to flac by using a software is a good idea as this conversion is a very complex process . it involves removing high frequency noise of dsd and there a number of option in foobar. you can also normalize the dsd to flac by +6db as dsd is by default 6db lower. j river also has an option but it does not recognize over dsd128 IMHO. all these is done by mojo in a much better way . mojo/hugo even restores the +6db level of dsd while converting it to analog.

Apr 11, 2016 at 10:27 AM Post #15,712 of 42,765
IMHO sound stage depth of Mojo is nothing short of amazing!
Your Mojo-Brain-Connectivity-May-Vary
YMBCMV :D

I find mojo detail to be fantastic. Infact with detailed hps like hd700 so much intimate detail is a bit overwhelming. Instruments are 3d like and fully formed. So using term depth maybe misleading.

I will use term soundstage layering. All sounds come from single layer in soundstage. So even audiance coughing feels prominent and in forefront instead of background. As if one of players doing it.

Overall i think mojo has detail of much expensive dacs. But layering and laying a soundstage, even cheaper dacs do it better. So 600$ i think is fair price.

Apr 11, 2016 at 10:55 AM Post #15,713 of 42,765
@vaibhavp, I have used other DACs like arcam r dac, I rdac, fiio x3 but none of these comes anywhere close to mojo. I have tested mojo with some of the chesky binaural recordings and in speaker system too , the kind of imaging including the distance of the instruments from front and sides can be experienced. even if the vocal is deep into stage or slightly sideways , mojo accurately portrays . some old Hindi recordings if there is slight mistake by the recording engineer into placing the vocals , it is also clearly evident. try a song dadhkane dhdam dhdam from Bombay velvet and you will clearly experience the location of instruments.

Apr 11, 2016 at 10:55 AM Post #15,714 of 42,765
This should not be underestimated. 

The brain learns and adjusts and it appears to happen whether or not the subject is concentrating, or just taking in the musicality via mojo.  

For me, a solid month of Mojo, several hours a day while working, and the testing between hi fidelity files and low fidelity files, of which I routinely scored 50% are now close to 100% with only accepala still giving me trouble discerning.  

I recognize that this is personal and leaves much to be desired for scientific testing, but it is a lot of fun to pick out the beautiful clarity that Mojo allows.  

I would even go that far calling mojo a musical education tool.
I feel after extensive listening to mojo (3 month 5hr a day) other devices present a more detailed sound than I recall listening to them prior to mojo. It may be that I hear more details, because I know they are there... Or plain placebo, either way I'm fine with it and the little box amazes me again and again.
Cheers

Apr 11, 2016 at 11:02 AM Post #15,715 of 42,765
I find mojo detail to be fantastic. Infact with detailed hps like hd700 so much intimate detail is a bit overwhelming. Instruments are 3d like and fully formed. So using term depth maybe misleading.

I will use term soundstage layering. All sounds come from single layer in soundstage. So even audiance coughing feels prominent and in forefront instead of background. As if one of players doing it.

Overall i think mojo has detail of much expensive dacs. But layering and laying a soundstage, even cheaper dacs do it better. So 600$ i think is fair price.

Don't mean to disrespect or blindly lash at a critical comment but to be honest I don't get what you mean with laying and layering.
Soundstage depth, width and for a lack of better term hight would be all there is. Those would equal the three physical dimensions... So what more should there be?
Cheers

Apr 11, 2016 at 11:04 AM Post #15,716 of 42,765
@vaibhavp, I have used other DACs like arcam r dac, I rdac, fiio x3 but none of these comes anywhere close to mojo. I have tested mojo with some of the chesky binaural recordings and in speaker system too , the kind of imaging including the distance of the instruments from front and sides can be experienced. even if the vocal is deep into stage or slightly sideways , mojo accurately portrays . some old Hindi recordings if there is slight mistake by the recording engineer into placing the vocals , it is also clearly evident. try a song dadhkane dhdam dhdam from Bombay velvet and you will clearly experience the location of instruments.

I personally think correct sounding live recordings are those that can differentiate between audiance and performers. When i listen to mojo, all become same. Every sound has same impact be it clapping or coughing from audiance. As much as guitar solo playing in front. So that in my books a caveat.

Apr 11, 2016 at 11:43 AM Post #15,717 of 42,765

Actually, it is the way that Rob's DACs handle plain-old vanilla Redbook recordings that most surprised me - they sound foot-tappingly good in a way that had me scratching my head! LOL

+2^16...

Working as an audio designer is a lot of fun - my working day is just playing at my hobby (so my wife tells me). But there is a lot of slog - I can spend 9 months on coding, and when I come to listen to it I get just a small (and expected) improvement in sound quality. But I am cool with that, Rome wasn't built in a day and big things happen with lots of tiny steps. But when I am doing a listening test I have specific expectations - like improving noise floor modulation will make it sound smoother for example - so I build up detailed expectation of what the changes will bring.
Not so when I first heard the Hugo/Mojo code.

Now I had spent a lot of effort reducing RF noise, improving jitter performance, for the internal interpolators within the DAC. And I was expecting it to sound a bit smoother and more natural. There were also other improvements I had made, but I was not expecting much change over the Qute DAC which Hugo was most like as it had the same 4e pulse array DAC.
But hearing the new code was by far the biggest unexpected change in sound quality I have ever experienced - now it wasn't about the normal things we talk about - instrument separation, details, sound-stage etc - but the way that you could engage with the music - toe tapping, being able to hear the way instruments "talk" to one another, just being able to forget about the sound and simply enjoy the music. I simply had not had that engagement with music before.

Obviously, I was very excited about the musicality improvements, but I just had no idea where and why I was getting this big change - so it was extremely puzzling, as it identified a big hole in my knowledge. But that's where as a designer things get very exciting, as I work primarily to get better sound through understanding what is going on.

Eventually, with the Dave project, I got to understand what I had accidentally stumbled upon. What was really weird was that from an engineering perspective we are talking about very subtle things - very small improvements in the accuracy of timing as the signal goes from sampled data back to a continuous analogue signal. But these tiny changes, to me at least, have a profound way of how I enjoy music.

Rob  

1) There is a tired, worn-out, cliché in Hi-Fi circles, that such-&-such piece of equipment 'almost moved the reviewer to tears'

2) What I am about to say has absolutely nothing to do with trying to 'pay a compliment' to Rob (although I am happy that it simultaneously serves that purpose, because Rob's work deserves complimenting). What follows is, first-&-foremost, and above-all-else, simply an honest statement of actual fact.

I was kindly loaned a Hugo (and a Sony NW-ZX1 to feed it), by OK-Guy (thankyou, Paul; much appreciated!), for a week or so, a couple of years ago, not long after Hugo was released.

I remarked at the time, in the original Hugo thread, that "it almost moved me to tears", but what I neglected to subsequently admit is that it actually did move me to tears, a couple of days later (playing the very same album)...

Apr 11, 2016 at 1:37 PM Post #15,718 of 42,765
  Rob's work deserves complimenting.

I agree with everything you said Mython especially this bit. I know from experience as a software engineer its a thankless task, I'm often shut in an office for 10+ hours a day with only a PC for company so I can relate 1st hand.

I would like to also thank Rob for his work on expanding the frontiers of digital audio filtering and conversion.

Apr 11, 2016 at 3:05 PM Post #15,720 of 42,765
@Carl6868, I have converted dsd128 to flac using foobar sacd plugin. you can try for higher dsd256 or dsd512 too, IMHO it should work. but I don't think converting it to flac by using a software is a good idea as this conversion is a very complex process . it involves removing high frequency noise of dsd and there a number of option in foobar. you can also normalize the dsd to flac by +6db as dsd is by default 6db lower. j river also has an option but it does not recognize over dsd128 IMHO. all these is done by mojo in a much better way . mojo/hugo even restores the +6db level of dsd while converting it to analog.

Thanks I will have to give foobar a try at converting, as I say it's only that one album that doesn't work as I have about 30+ DSD albums which have all converted fine with dbpoweramp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back