Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Apr 8, 2016 at 8:58 PM Post #15,571 of 42,765
Onkyo HF player does not have an option to change the buffer size. 

I made a conclusion, based on responses (THANK YOU) that ipad/iphone+Onkyo HF combo is not able to supply Mojo with stable 5.6 and 11.2 MHz data to decode. 

Apr 8, 2016 at 9:01 PM Post #15,572 of 42,765
Where are you guys getting that 8 ensembles in one bit album? I get brief cut outs with double rate DSD on my iPhone 6 so I'm sure it would cut out even more with quad. Can anyone with an iPhone 6s test if they get the same cutouts on double or quad rate DSD?

There was a coupon in the Mojo box when I bought it. There was a reference to the site to download it from (free).
And for quad rate - I tested it today, there are even more cutouts

Apr 8, 2016 at 9:39 PM Post #15,573 of 42,765
  I've tried 3 micro usb cables.  Tried both usb ports on 2 macbook pros.  I went to get a camera connection kit just now and it works using the micro usb that came in the box, so its not the cable or the mojo.  It's something with the settings I think.  At least it's not the mojo.

Well, my experience is that it just works. I use mine all the time on my iMac and it just connects and works. I don't remember having to change any settings. Changing the MIDI settings just keeps OS X from upsampling the signal it sends to the Mojo.

So, I got out my Macbook Pro, Model 11,1 running OS X Version 10.11.4 which I have never used the Mojo with, and connected it. Turned the Mojo on and it just worked, upsampling to 768kHz because the MIDI settings default to the highest the connected device will take. Turn the Mojo off and the sound shifts back to the internal speakers.

Sorry, but I have no idea what else you can try.

Apr 8, 2016 at 9:40 PM Post #15,574 of 42,765
I hvave deletrd all my dsd files and replaced them with cd 16/44.1 flac rips. Flac sounds better on chord dacs than dsd. Save your hard drive space, dsd isn't an improvement and actually just wastes space

Apr 8, 2016 at 10:06 PM Post #15,575 of 42,765
No problem playing DSD on my iPhone SE and iPad Air 2. But then my devices are 'clean' (well-maintained).

Try to close all browser tabs, force close background apps, etc. If that doesn't help, increasing buffer size won't help much. All modern iOS devices have fast storage (check Anandtech). I think the bottleneck is processing power or software optimization. I suspect Onkyo HF doesn't optimized as the latest iPhones are more powerful than most android phones.

Apr 8, 2016 at 10:19 PM Post #15,576 of 42,765
No problem playing DSD on my iPhone SE and iPad Air 2. But then my devices are 'clean' (well-maintained).

Have you tried double or quad rate DSD though? No one is having problems with single rate DSD. I'm just curious if the 6s or iPad Pros have the extra speed necessary to power through whatever is causing double and quad rate DSD's to skip.

Apr 8, 2016 at 10:36 PM Post #15,578 of 42,765
How costly is quad dsd? How much space does it take opposed to a flac file? Has anyone heard it on mojo vs flac?

q-dsd is much more space consuming for little gains over flac, i have same songs on flac and d-dsd and q-dsd and only get minor refinements in the music

Apr 8, 2016 at 10:37 PM Post #15,580 of 42,765
How costly is quad dsd? How much space does it take opposed to a flac file? Has anyone heard it on mojo vs flac?

It takes up A LOT of space. There really aren't a lot of quad rate stuff out there, just random things like that 8 Ensembles in 1 Bit.

The one double rate DSD album I have is Tea for the Tillerman and that takes up around 3gb. I personally think it sounds amazing and is the best I've heard the album.

Comparing a lot of these DSD albums to flac is useless most of the time because the DSD is usually a different master. One thing most of these DSD albums have going for them though is great dynamic range. People can crap on DSD all they want but it's simply the best sounding version of many of my favorite albums.

Apr 8, 2016 at 10:41 PM Post #15,581 of 42,765
Have you guys tried different dsd formats on mojo? I haven't tried abing music formats in years. Maybe now, I'd be able to hear a difference between them with mojo? Last time I heard a difference was between <320 to alac, flac, or to 320.

Apr 8, 2016 at 11:03 PM Post #15,582 of 42,765
  There was a coupon in the Mojo box when I bought it. There was a reference to the site to download it from (free).
And for quad rate - I tested it today, there are even more cutouts

Great album for demonstrating the Mojo's capabilities. Any issues will most likely be on the transport used, the power of the CPU of the device. Remember the Mojo just deals with the data fed into it, provision of that data will be down to the source ie iPhone, Android phone or DAP.

This has got me thinking, I wonder if the forthcoming SD attachment will handle DSD 11.2Mkz files (only asking out of interest) 
rolleyes.gif

Apr 8, 2016 at 11:17 PM Post #15,584 of 42,765
These are the connectors of Black Dragon coax cable from Moon Audio.

These are much better than connectors of EBay cable

I think you could ask @Peterek to make your cable with more options (cable, sleeve color ...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back