Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Feb 26, 2016 at 1:23 PM Post #12,016 of 42,765
Only another FGPA based DAC. I'm not sure of the wisdom of buying an expensive DAC based on a cheap off the shelf chip. You may as well buy a Chinese DAC from eBay. Sure the implementation may matter, but I compared an Astell&Kern AK500N with my Mojo and the only difference is that the Mojo's signature is slightly warmer with a HD800S, but both reproduced harsh treble ringing. At this level the main difference is the verbiage used by a poster.

Thanks I appreciate,

It's sad that people on here bash others for the posts they write, make the forum unappealing as a whole.. Like... Be careful what you say type if thing... Sad

Feb 26, 2016 at 2:11 PM Post #12,017 of 42,765
I remember there being talk of a "screen with processor" DAP carrier module for the mojo (no dac or amp). Any news on it? Any pics, estimated time of arrival?

Feb 26, 2016 at 2:24 PM Post #12,018 of 42,765
  I remember there being talk of a "screen with processor" DAP carrier module for the mojo (no dac or amp). Any news on it? Any pics, estimated time of arrival?

Not before Autumn according to a previous interview with Rob Watts. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3e7SRXP3RHI
First module will be a bluetooth one maybe in 2-3 months. And the sd card module with screen later on (5-7 months from now).
But no more info yet.

Feb 26, 2016 at 2:37 PM Post #12,019 of 42,765

This has been answered and is no doubt included in the third post.

Rob Watts (currently post 4595 on page 307):
"Just to clarify. Charging is automatic. If you are playing and charging at the same time, with a fully charged battery, the charger will supply enough current to balance the consumption used by Mojo, so no net current into the battery. If its fully charged and the unit is off, the charger will go off. The charger will re charge automatically when the battery voltage falls to 8.2v (off at 8.4v) so keeping the charger connected will ensure a full charge."

I can't help wondering for people using the Mojo as a desktop DAC, would it be better to remove the battery? It would create less heat in use and preserve the battery. I think to settle the discussion once and for all if the Mojo runs of mains, someone could find out. Surely someone has opened their Mojo. If so they could temporarily disconnect the batter and test run the Mojo on power supply only.

I say this is because now and again in the thread someone keeps saying the Mojo only runs off battery. Yet Mr Watts's post implies otherwise.

Feb 26, 2016 at 2:46 PM Post #12,020 of 42,765

I can't help wondering for people using the Mojo as a desktop DAC, would it be better to remove the battery? It would create less heat in use and preserve the battery. I think to settle the discussion once and for all if the Mojo runs of mains, someone could find out. Surely someone has opened their Mojo. If so they could temporarily disconnect the batter and test run the Mojo on power supply only.

I say this is because now and again in the thread someone keeps saying the Mojo only runs off battery. Yet Mr Watts's post implies otherwise.

No, the battery is an effective way of removing mains noise. It is used this way also in the Hugo and Hugo TT.
Don't worry about preserving the battery, it has a long life and is ultimately replaceable.

Feb 26, 2016 at 2:48 PM Post #12,021 of 42,765

I watched one of the John Frank's interview, and he mentioned that other DAC companies are very unhappy with the release of Mojo, which is true cause it really just swiped away all the competitors irrespective of price.
But he mentioned, due to Mojo, many consumers who are not Audiophiles or HiFi audience, they can also enjoy the quality music, and once you buy Mojo you will keep on buying other accessories to compliment Mojo. In John Frank's words, he wanted to expand the horizon.

Now after some months, i totally agree with JF. In my wildest dreams, i never thought of buying a portable DAC.
I was happy with my Genelec Speakers. In place of a desktop DAC, i bought the Mojo. Now after Mojo, i have spent more than $1K on headphones and earbuds (HD650, VE ZEN etc.). And i will buy more earbuds in future. I am able to enjoy awesome music in my office also :)

So in a nutshell, indirectly Mojo(Chord company) is helping other HiFi companies to increase their sales :)

A very nice story.  Thanks and enjoy!

Feb 26, 2016 at 2:49 PM Post #12,022 of 42,765

Since I use Mojo in nonstop plugged in desktop mode, I didn't experience overheat issues. After 2 hrs of listening it still gets pretty hot, but the security circuit still doesn't shut off as it did when I didn't keep Mojo plugged in all the time just used charging and playing at the same time.
This heat is actually on the same level of many desktop DACs.
So keeping Mojo nonstop plugged in as a desktop DAC seems to work out pretty well.

Feb 26, 2016 at 2:51 PM Post #12,023 of 42,765
Thanks I appreciate,

It's sad that people on here bash others for the posts they write, make the forum unappealing as a whole.. Like... Be careful what you say type if thing... Sad

The points you make are true for a lot of threads on HF where some people elect themselves as self appointed HF police.

Sometimes this thread comes across as a Mojo appreciation thread and it may put people off who have genuine concerns or issues who might wish to post on it.

Of course the vast majority of people here are very helpful and patient with new owners and their repetitive questions!
wink.gif

Most of us can quickly scan through this thread and filter out what we want to read in detail. 

Feb 26, 2016 at 2:57 PM Post #12,024 of 42,765

No, the battery is an effective way of removing mains noise. It is used this way also in the Hugo and Hugo TT.
Don't worry about preserving the battery, it has a long life and is ultimately replaceable.

Yeah I was worry about something. If you look back at Rob's post he say the battery stops receiving charge when full. The when it drops by 0.2V it is charged again. I was wondering if any wear on the battery might put the voltage permanently below the 0.2V threshold.

Since I use Mojo in nonstop plugged in desktop mode, I didn't experience overheat issues. After 2 hrs of listening it still gets pretty hot, but the security circuit still doesn't shut off as it did when I didn't keep Mojo plugged in all the time just used charging and playing at the same time.
This heat is actually on the same level of many desktop DACs.
So keeping Mojo nonstop plugged in as a desktop DAC seems to work out pretty well.

Yeh it does work well.

It's funny how John Franks described his inspiration for the Mojo shape, and how tactile the Mojo is. I often reach forward and place my hand over the Mojo to feel its smooth shape and warmth.

I know you replied to me earlier when I suggested it leaving it fully charged. (Post 11778 on page 786.) I am so very glad you are completely sorted out.

Feb 26, 2016 at 3:02 PM Post #12,025 of 42,765
GreenBow said:
It's funny how John Franks described his inspiration for the Mojo shape, and how tactile the Mojo is. I often reach forward and place my hand over the Mojo to feel its smooth shape and warmth.

I know you replied to me earlier when I suggested it leaving it fully charged. (Post 11778 on page 786.) I am so very glad you are completely sorted out.

Yeah, I am glad too.
Now I feel Mojo is a 100% desktop amp as well, while it remains portable when I need.

I also love to touch Mojo or just look at it sometimes.
Such a perfect piece of equipment.
Not to mention the best sound ever for this price.
After 6 weeks of Mojo ownership I am still mesmerized by its sq.

Feb 26, 2016 at 4:24 PM Post #12,029 of 42,765

Only another FGPA based DAC. I'm not sure of the wisdom of buying an expensive DAC based on a cheap off the shelf chip. You may as well buy a Chinese DAC from eBay. Sure the implementation may matter, but I compared an Astell&Kern AK500N with my Mojo and the only difference is that the Mojo's signature is slightly warmer with a HD800S, but both reproduced harsh treble ringing. At this level the main difference is the verbiage used by a poster.

Thanks I appreciate,

I need to clear this up with you - my response to your earlier question wasn't bashing you.

I was simply stating the situation as it is.

If you ask people to start naming DACs that 'are more expensive, but not as good as' Mojo, then there will soon be owners of those DACs (quite understandably) becoming offended and there is a very strong likelihood that insults may swiftly follow, thereafter
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back